DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2015 - SEPT/OCT

Dolfan in NYC

I just want a bullpen phone to be housed inside a police box...

And I don't want to hear a motherfucking thing from a fan of a team that's won a World Series in my lifetime or even the last 30 years.

Juakin Andujar (sp?) has passed away. Good pitcher who won a title with the Cardinals in 1982 but will probably be best remembered for his meltdown in game 7 of the 1985 series where the entire team decided to vent their frustration over the infamous Denkinger call in game 6. RIP.

My number one memory is him punching the (rotating) fan in the dugout.

John Tudor was actually the one who punched out the fan.  Tudor started Game 7, got shellacked, then Joaquin relieved him and tried to punch out Denkinger after the Royals led 11-0 in the 5th.  I still cringe watching replays of Game 6, but Game 7 is fun, watching Whitey Herzog get tossed, Joaquin goes nuts, and then McCarver gets the losing manager interview afterward where Whitey has a blase attitude about the whole thing.

The Cardinals ended up trading Joaquin in the offseason to Oakland for Mike Heath, whose only Cardinal claim to fame is giving someone the finger during a Saturday Game of the Week.

My number one memory is him punching the (rotating) fan in the dugout.

The Cardinals ended up trading Joaquin in the offseason to Oakland for Mike Heath, whose only Cardinal claim to fame is giving someone the finger during a Saturday Game of the Week.

I thought that was Garry Templeton.

I thought that was Garry Templeton.

Templeton gave the finger and grabbed his crotch back in '81 before Whitey dragged him off the field.  Heath flipped the bird at someone while he was catching, just happening to do it right as one of the NBC cameras focused on him.  He was the one the Cards traded later in 1986 for Mike Laga, who hit the foul ball out of Busch Stadium right after joining the team.

That Papelbon trade...

I'm not a Nats fan, nor do I really care about them, but I don't see how Matt Williams and Mike Rizzo don't get fired if Washington doesn't somehow make the playoffs.

I think they should both get 10 year extensions, particularly Williams.