DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2015 - SEPT/OCT

Dolfan in NYC

#yearofthemets . Seriously, just wow. Best part was Keith ripping on how bad the Braves bullpen was : "At this point I'd just turn in my season tickets" after the second run was walked in.

Yoenis absolutely DESTROYED a ball into the 2nd deck tonight, 17 HRs in 41 games as a Met. Fucking incredible.

He's gotta be up there with Doyle Alexander for all-time great trade deadline acquisitions. Wow.
  • Like 1

Sabathia was before the trade deadline, right?

Doyle is bumped down because he had a 10.00 ERA and lost both games in the playoffs and cost the Tigers John Smoltz.

Yes, Sabathia was in '08 for Milwaukee. 

Some impact pre & deadline Yankees moves:

David Cone- 1995

Cecil Fielder, Graeme Lloyd, Charlie Hayes- 1996

Chad Curtis- 1997

David Justice- 2000

Eric Hinske, Jerry Hairston, Jr.- 2009

Unit and Beltran also come to mind in recent history.

Beltran wasn't traded at the deadline - he was over a month before.

Unit is a good call though I hate giving him credit for that season since he faked an injury and tanked games to get out of Seattle,

Sabathia was before the trade deadline, right?

Doyle is bumped down because he had a 10.00 ERA and lost both games in the playoffs and cost the Tigers John Smoltz.

Without Alexander, they never even reach the playoffs. Tigers were 11-0 in his starts and never trailed in any of them. Plus, people forget that Smoltz was terrible in the minors for Detroit.

A lot of people love to use that trade as their shitty example of a bad trade line deal since they just think in the long term (ie: Smoltz = HOF) but yeah Alexander was fucking outstanding that year

No, I meant the Astros. I consider a "deadline trade" anything in June or July. If you're going to start arbitrarily drawing lines at post-ASB, last week of July, you're missing the point.

He was traded nearly 6 weeks before the deadline. That's not a "deadline deal". Semantics aside, it was a helluva pickup for Houston.

No, I meant the Astros. I consider a "deadline trade" anything in June or July. If you're going to start arbitrarily drawing lines at post-ASB, last week of July, you're missing the point.

I have approximately zero interest in arguing when a trade is or isn't a deadline trade, but how is saying "June and July" NOT arbitrary?

• Like 1