DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2015 - SEPT/OCT

Dolfan in NYC

September series against SFG? Sweep that fucker with 1 run victories. What a great set of games, and not just because the good guys prevailed. 

Greinke and Kershaw are from another dimension or something, what a one-two punch.

Let me not also forget to give credit to Chris Hatcher and his most outstanding outing on Monday. 

Edited by grilledcheese

Brewers are doing their job beating up on the Pirates, but that doesn't really help the Cubs even if they caught them, still a play-in. I'd rather the Cubs or Pirates won it all than the Cardinals by the vastness of the cosmos. This coming from a Milwaukee fan. Cubs just so they get their WS, Pirates just because they haven't won a lot in recent decades like the Brewers til recently.

090215_turner_slide_ketel_one_med_cgzqjp

Aside from these kind of 1/1000 type miracles (and the Josh Donaldson slide into home), why do players still slide head-first? There are so few benefits and so many disadvantages. Better yet, why don't managers/presidents mandate their players slide feet-first?

Saw some of Kershaw's performance last night. Sometimes I forgot how special that guy is. Seemed like he was almost always starting off with a strike, made just about everybody swing and miss, throwing 95 on the corners 120+ pitches into his night. Just a freak.

Instincts. Growing up as a kid thinking it looked cool. Just a couple ideas from the top of my head - you see guys break hands and thumbs way too much from sliding headfirst.

Instincts is probably it. Even though it has been completely disproven, it just feels like sliding headfirst gets you there quicker. You're looking right at the bag, you can reach for it, guys probably feel they can better slide around tags. Sorta like killshots in football, it's going to take a complete, league-wide adjustment in mindset to get players to stop.

Brewers are doing their job beating up on the Pirates, but that doesn't really help the Cubs even if they caught them, still a play-in. I'd rather the Cubs or Pirates won it all than the Cardinals by the vastness of the cosmos. This coming from a Milwaukee fan. Cubs just so they get their WS, Pirates just because they haven't won a lot in recent decades like the Brewers til recently.

Obviously I'd want to see the Mets win it all but if we don't I hope the Cubs do because their fans deserve it more than anyone.

Instincts. Growing up as a kid thinking it looked cool. Just a couple ideas from the top of my head - you see guys break hands and thumbs way too much from sliding headfirst.

Instincts is probably it. Even though it has been completely disproven, it just feels like sliding headfirst gets you there quicker. You're looking right at the bag, you can reach for it, guys probably feel they can better slide around tags. Sorta like killshots in football, it's going to take a complete, league-wide adjustment in mindset to get players to stop.

I would bet the thinking is that by sliding headfirst, you have a better chance of being able to react and evade a tag. I'm not saying this is actually true, but I'll bet that is part of it. It's easier to move an arm out of the way than a leg. 

Obviously I'd want to see the Mets win it all but if we don't I hope the Cubs do because their fans deserve it more than anyone.

Now that Grilledcheese's disgusting wish for ass-jamming has been granted :) and I'm most likely going to be in the market for a surrogate rooting interest come the post-season, I'm much more amenable to the idea of "eh, fuck it, the Cubs have waited long enough, let 'em have one."

The newfound optimism of Mets fans has been fun to observe, too, though.  Plus Cespedes is still easy for me to root for.

• Like 1

Aside from these kind of 1/1000 type miracles (and the Josh Donaldson slide into home), why do players still slide head-first? There are so few benefits and so many disadvantages. Better yet, why don't managers/presidents mandate their players slide feet-first?

Saw some of Kershaw's performance last night. Sometimes I forgot how special that guy is. Seemed like he was almost always starting off with a strike, made just about everybody swing and miss, throwing 95 on the corners 120+ pitches into his night. Just a freak.

Vin Scully has an idea as to why guys still slide headfirst, and it is because sliding drills aren't a part of Spring Training anymore, so guys have no idea how to go in feet first properly.  He makes lots of reference to the old sliding pits at Dodgertown, and how it was a great tool for both baserunners working on evading tags and infielders attempting to lay them down.

That being said, that Turner slide is one of the greatest things I have ever seen. An ugly flop slide that gets you nowhere near the bag, and the force of hitting the ground puts your helmet in the way of the tag? Top flight.

Yeah, Kershaw is the goods, man. That dude has been fantastically fun to watch develop. There's a handful of guys that are close to him talent-wise, but I think he is head and shoulders above all of them in my most assuredly unbiased opinion.  

I can't watch the Giants since I am in their blackout sphere, but Bumgarner ain't too goddamn shabby himself, it seems like every time he goes out, you've got a pretty good shot at seeing a very special game pitched. I could do without him playing the "baseball sheriff" role, but maybe that is only against Los Angeles, and you can't blame the kid for being amped up for your most hated rival.

• Like 1

Vin Scully has an idea as to why guys still slide headfirst, and it is because sliding drills aren't a part of Spring Training anymore, so guys have no idea how to go in feet first properly.  He makes lots of reference to the old sliding pits at Dodgertown, and how it was a great tool for both baserunners working on evading tags and infielders attempting to lay them down.

Harold Reynolds was saying that "back in is day" which was,...fuck 20 years ago now, you couldn't take BP until you did your slides.

Sliding practice hasn't been a "thing"for at least 30 years outside of spring training.

I have seen a handful of games on the back fields at Camelback Ranch, and I don't recall seeing any sliding pits, so it may not even be a thing in spring training anymore. That complex is huge though, and I certainly haven't been all over it, so they could be there.

Edited by grilledcheese

The few times I slid in little league and below I just did the Lou Brock slide cause I thought that's how you would slide. Going face first never crossed my mind.

After having to deal with the Stephen Strasburg shut down controversy with the Nationals, it is nice to see that the team we are fighting like dogs to catch up with is having the same mess with Harvey.   I mean the Mets still a number of stud pitchers but losing him still should be huge if it actually happens

I envision Bartolo's head playing blernsball in the year 3000 like Futurama. As for Harvey, boy does he look terrible. He is being eviscerated in the tabloids and justifiably so. Best suggestion so far is to have him do one more start then put him in the bullpen as the 7th inning guy.

I envision Bartolo's head playing blernsball in the year 3000 like Futurama. As for Harvey, boy does he look terrible. He is being eviscerated in the tabloids and justifiably so. Best suggestion so far is to have him do one more start then put him in the bullpen as the 7th inning guy.

Him coming in on a tarantula to pitch to Julio Franco. . . .

• Like 1