DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The last time The Rock wrestled he got hurt taking the Attitude Adjustment. There's no way his people let him near Brock.

That's why I think the match is money if they build it up right. You basically play off the fact that Rock getting Cena'd by Brock would damage him in the eyes of the public and hurt his box office appeal.

Heyman already sorta laid it out last year talking about how Brock beat Rock so bad he left for the movies.

Ric Flair's agent sucked. For all the fun people make about Ric and his money, he was getting screwed compared to some of these guys.

$500,000 base salary is ridiculously low for Flair. 

Agreed.  Whoever negotiated that deal for Flair cost Ric's ex-wives a fair bit of money.

Pfft Sting and Luger should have been giving Flair half of their pay 

Some of those WCW contracts are amazing. Some guys were getting nothing and others must have had the greatest agent in the world. Goldberg pulling down $2.5 Million and getting bumped up to $3.5 million is astounding. I'm also amazed Hogan and Nash weren't making over $2 million each. Didn't Hall and Nash say they had some contract clause that bumped up their salary if anyone signed making more than they did? On the flip side, Bret Hart lost out on a lot of money unless that was all guarenteed.

As for Lesnar. A match with Harper would probably be the closest the WWE comes towards Vader/Hansen. Lots of German suplexes and lariats. Lesnar/Wyatt could be fun but there is no way I see him taking the long set up for the Sister Abigail.

Harper would have to mow down the entire midcard for him to be even believable in a semi-squash match. He's a guy that's dropped so many damn falls the past two years... Basically, my point is Luke Harper is awesome and should be a bigger deal than he is. Shit, you could say that for like 5-10 guys but Harper is up there.

• Like 3

This year's Mania is going to be the ultimate test of "the WWE name is the draw" vs. "the names are the draw." And I don't mean that pessimistically, but if we've been shown anything by the deaths of Warrior, Dusty, and Piper, the disgracing of Hogan, and the frailty of Sting, it's that the old-timers gravy train is going to run out for WWE very soon. And as I said in the NOC thread regarding Sting's injury, if it puts Vince/the company off from featuring aging talent in high profile positions, and if that means scaling down WM every year and going back to domes/comparitively smaller buildings but with younger guys on top, then it can only be a positive. It's just hilarious that no one is going to be built until their hand is forced. I'd rather see The Shield or Cesaro or Bryan or Wyatt headline a WM in a 15-30K seater than a broken down Taker or Austin work on top at Jerry World. And I loved those guys my entire life just like everyone else, but you can't stop time. Sure-- bring Taker down to tombstone a Bo Dallas and do the urn pose, or have Austin come down, stun The Miz, and pound beers-- but ultimately, what counts more moving forward: the numbers Austin did in 1998, or the numbers Sami Zayn's gonna do in 2018?

He's probably not given it any serious consideration, but I wonder if he actually thinks he (or anyone else) could hold someone's attention for a three-hour match beyond the furthest fringes of outliers.

I get that Bryan's the guy that would do it in front of no one just because, the performance art vs. making money thing always intrigues me, though.

He's probably not given it any serious consideration, but I wonder if he actually thinks he (or anyone else) could hold someone's attention for a three-hour match beyond the furthest fringes of outliers.

I get that Bryan's the guy that would do it in front of no one just because, the performance art vs. making money thing always intrigues me, though.

Could be misremembering but the way the story goes, this was the plan for the 2/3 falls with Aries, until they called an audible over not having enough to do.

Some of those WCW contracts are amazing. Some guys were getting nothing and others must have had the greatest agent in the world. Goldberg pulling down $2.5 Million and getting bumped up to $3.5 million is astounding. I'm also amazed Hogan and Nash weren't making over $2 million each. Didn't Hall and Nash say they had some contract clause that bumped up their salary if anyone signed making more than they did? On the flip side, Bret Hart lost out on a lot of money unless that was all guarenteed.

As for Lesnar. A match with Harper would probably be the closest the WWE comes towards Vader/Hansen. Lots of German suplexes and lariats. Lesnar/Wyatt could be fun but there is no way I see him taking the long set up for the Sister Abigail.

I remember Nash said that they could waive their favored nations clause for certain guys if they wanted. That's how they were able to sign Bret. I don't know the ins and outs of it but my guess is that the clause probably only applied to guys who came in from outside like Bret, Jarrett, etc whereas a homegrown guy like Goldberg could be signed for whatever WCW wanted. Just my guess.

IIRC he was dropped to half pay at first until x number of months when he was released.

Yep. He wasn't able to wrestle so he kept doing appearances and PR stuff just to fulfill his dates and get something out of his contract. At one point it went down to a quarter of his salary and then they terminated him when it was clear he couldn't work any longer.