DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 7/23/15

victor

I really wanted the Cena as double champ angle, but with Owen's NXT title.  That would have been fresh and epic if he ever showed up at Full Sail, but this just feels like more of the same.

Great SD so far from what I've seen.  Owens/Rusev was a lot of fun and I really enjoy that both this and Rollins/Cesaro are fresh matchups. That doesn't happen very often on SD.  Summer doing Lana-isms on the outside was awesome.

I'm dreading John Cena, the double champion.

Why?  Cena is a fucking superworker and the US Title could stand to be retired anyway.  He just needs to understand that heat for him will always be a thing.

I'm dreading John Cena, the double champion.

Why?  Cena is a fucking superworker and the US Title could stand to be retired anyway.  He just needs to understand that heat for him will always be a thing.

Because it reeks of WWE pushing the panic button because of the RAW ratings and plugging Cena into another World Title feud to get the ratings a point or two above a 3. I don't care if John Cena is the best wrestler on the face of the Earth - you let Cena back into World Title picture, and it all goes back to the norm. "Same Old Shit" isn't just a chant some crowds use at shows, it's the truth. I'm sorry, but I don't watch WWE purely for good matches, so the argument that "Cena is a superworker" doesn't do anything for me. The stories matter too, and even if it's only been a week, the story they presented us with on RAW concerning Cena going after Rollins just isn't good enough. Do you honestly think if the RAW ratings weren't so horrible, that we'd be seeing a feud develop between Cena and Rollins? Because I sure as hell don't.

Came in 45 minutes late on this. What I saw was pretty solid. Here's the realtime:

Owens to Rusev: "God, lose some weight!" Heh heh. That was quite the hoss fight before Owens went full-on chickenshit and left again which is a classic heel move that I can't really argue with. Rusev proved he has some insane strength with the effortless looking Samoan drop and that rolling back suplex thingy. I can imagine either of those giving most anyone else a hernia. The post-match between Owens and Cesaro with Cesaro owning him and Owens walking off looking upset worked too. 

Not sure that Jimmy Uso really knows the meaning of "turn't up", unless he was being sly by using the term. Is it just me or have the Bellas improved? They're working pretty snug and look far more competent. I haven't seen a Divas match in a long time. This is also my first look at Sasha Banks and the knee stomp in the ropes and doing the old Kawada kick to the non-legal opponent on the apron immediately makes me like her. Nikki slopped it up a little at the end and I don't see how their team are faces at all but that was a pretty good match. Stiffness and hatred = good wrestling.

Today I watched the HBO Sports documentary on Johnny Tapia and there's no way Southpaw is gonna touch that so I remove the immediate praise I gave it upon seeing the trailer. Kudos to Jake for training like that though.

Taker finally got the Sara tattoo covered up after how many years. (Again, that might be old news but I don't know.) In the still photo they erase it completely. Huh. 

Good god that Snapple commercial with the blatant green-screen work was horrible. I can't see any kid looking up to Stephanie, either, unless it's in a literal sense. 

This double title shit is gonna play just as well as that commercial if they try it. Cesaro pulls a Backlund with the knee walk! Well, that was unexpected. We get a moment of good matwork and a mean plancha with Rollins shoving Cesaro's head right into the barrier before the break. And then we get a lot of headlocks. And a lot of European uppercuts. MONSTER dropkick from Cesaro and now he's using the Sharpshooter! And a Crippler? Then he transitions into an attempted giant swing into a pop-up for another Euro. Fuck this is like chess playing. Then they use a fakeout escape to give the most protected move in The Game , the Pedigree, for a really cheap, shitty win for Rollins. This could have easily gone another couple minutes and used a better finish for sure. But I guess that's the excuse for Owens to come out take advantage. It sets up Cesaro to get revenge but I don't trust this company to do good by my boy until I see it happen. 

Yeah, remember.  "Us guys" support people who sabotage wrestling shows.  "Us guys" support people who roid themselves until their hearts explode, leaving their families without fathers.  "Us guys" support people who dive headfirst into chairs until they kill their families.

I enjoyed the Owens/Rusev slugfest, and I think Rusev is going to make a great baby face if they turn him. Cesaro/Owens backstage stuff was fun, and that's the best I've see Cesaro do in a WWE promo.

I really liked that women's tag match. Team BAD's beat down on Brie was terrific. I'm pretty impressed with them after only two matches together.

Rollins/Cesaro was a fast paced super fun match between two athletic freaks. Cesaro is the best offensive wrestler in WWE, and the finish actually protected him. Owens/Cesaro absolutely needs to be for the US title. They need to let Owens get the cheap win over Cena in the next couple weeks.

The Divas tag match was excellent. BAD friggin' rules. They just have it and work so well together. I love how much they shit talk and Tamina is awesome kicking fools and pulling her teammates out of the ring when in trouble. Naomi needs a new finisher because I can't take something like "The Rear View" seriously, since it plays on a truly awful racial stereotype. But everything else about her is clicking right now. And Sasha is the absolute best. Everything she does rules. I loved when she was having some trouble putting on the straightjacket arm thing she does and she kneed Brie in the back to get it on nice and tight.

The Bellas were really good, too. I usually hate them but they worked really well. They work better as faces than they do as heels and had some nice double team spots. Alicia Fox looks incredibly dumb right now, though. I have no idea what her purpose is other than to do her awful stripper dance coat thing. She's got to figure out her voice in all this.

Bellas winning was the smart move since they lost twice. They need parity in this whole thing Revolution to really make it go.

But this division, so far, has been all about BAD. It's what Naomi and Tamina needed to get to the next level and a perfect way to slide Sasha into all this, too.

• Like 1

Sasha is too good to be used primarily in tags, but she's elevated Naomi and Tamina's act a ton. This is the perfect spot for Naomi as I thought she got exposed in most of her singles matches, but she's been damn good in these tag matches. Bellas gave a real solid performance Brie got the shit kicked out of her, and Nikki's hot tag was better than Paige's on Raw. I agree about Sasha doing the little things to set her apart. It just seems like she has more ring awareness than the other women.

I hope we get a BAD vs team Paige six man on Raw. I'm looking forward to see what Tamina adds to Naomi and Sasha's already great dynamic.

I admit to being biased toward the women who were wrestlers before signing with WWE and Sasha's one of those women.  Doing the Wiki math, she was 18 going on 19 when she made her in-ring debut in 2010.

Was worried about Naomi being lost in the shuffle but glad that she won't be.

The three-way feud gets a bit confusing since Team Bella is the proverbial "shade of grey" in the equation...

Disagree. Parity is never the answer when you're trying to create stars.

Disagree. Parity is never the answer when you're trying to create stars.

No one hates The Bellas more than me. But having them lose every single match doesn't help anyone. They need to look strong, too. Bellas beating BAD made Charlotte's wins more impressive.

They're trying to really get over that this division matters now and is insanely competitive. They want this to be like the NBA Western Conference. That's exactly what I want to watch from the women -- good-to-great matches and I have no idea who wins. Charlotte beating Brie Bella 400 times in a row doesn't do anything for that.

• Like 2

They want this to be like the NBA Western Conference.

With all the tags and the hate that's going on I'd lean more towards early '90s All Japan for a proper wrestling reference. Wishful thinking, I know, but there is a parallel. Sasha just needs to keep reminding me of Kawada with Tamina as her Taue. 

I think they have to be careful. They've basically admitted most of the divas division was trash so that's why the NXT women were brought up. Having them work 50/50 really doesn't make the new call ups seem like such a big deal. So far they've done a good job protecting the NXT girls, but I really don't think they needed all 3 at once. I'm worried about Becky because it's clear Charlotte is the one they want to push, and Sasha is too good to hold down. I think Becky needed a little more time to polish her character in NXT. They have 9 women involved in an angle, and this is a company that's never given more than two at a time any kind of push.