DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

I definitely see those responses, but guys like Breeze and Owens and even Miz to an extent seem like they're adopting smugface as part of a character. Like, seeing Breeze writing ideas in that notebook and practicing how he delivered his line in that E:60 excerpt, he just seemed like a nice dude really trying hard to be smug because he's a sensible Canadian gent by nature. It sort of broke the illusion for me.

Owens and Miz also seem like they're kinda really not that smug, even with the smug faces. Part of it is them hamming up the smugness to try and imitate a truly punchably smug dude.

On the other hand, I am 100% sure that Tully Blanchard is just as smug in real life here in 2015 as he was in character in 1985. He had a once-a-few-generations smugness quotient that was just off the charts.

Speaking of Chris Hero, you can actually make him wrestle for 2 1/2 hours straight this weekend, all in the name of charity:

Let me guess, is pie involved?

He might be eating pie for an equal amount of time afterwards, if he makes it through the match.

If he wrestles for 2 and a half hours and raises $2500 for ALS, the man has earned some pie.

You guys are awfully mean to Chris Hero. I doubt all of us are shredded.

Everyone on the internet is shredded with a hot girlfriend.  It's a law.

• Like 2

On the other hand, I am 100% sure that Tully Blanchard is just as smug in real life here in 2015 as he was in character in 1985. He had a once-a-few-generations smugness quotient that was just off the charts.

I wanted to say that this was hyperbole but then I thought about it and I have seen Tully as a babyface in his home promotion of Southwest. Yea that is a dude you just want to see get his ass kicked no matter what.

Tully really disliked working face, he never understood why he was booked as one in ECW. 

Tully is just as great as Flair or Arn. Everything he said had an earnestness to it. He was never someone acting like a heel, he was a heel. He got heat and he never had to resort to insulting the fans to get it. When there were fans cheering him, he did not insult them. He praised them for having class. He always seemed genuine and real. In ways nobody in the last twenty years has. 

I listen to him preach sometimes and I am far from a religious person, but he makes me believe because he believes. 

Tully is the best.

• Like 6

I was wondering if anyone remembers a match from WCW Saturday night. It was Arn Anderson against someone (Pillman?) where Arn just kept working the arm over and trying to get the other man to quit. He wouldn't quit so the ref had to stop it. It made Arn look like a total badass and I wish the E would do more things like this to get heels over. Arn was a scary motherfucker. 

Wasn't that vs. Shane Douglas in '89 or '90?

• Like 1

This seems like a rather egregious waste of both a Lesnar appearance and a chance to shill the Network. Why not do a semi-interesting Lesnar matchup? 

Meltz talked about this in the Newsletter this week. From the sounds of it, Lesnar is the one who actually asked to go so he and Brad Rheingans could visit Masa Saito who, apparently, isn't in good health. And Lesnar figured since he would be over there that it made sense to do some work.

Dave was as boggled as we are about Kofi Kingston being the opponent. It's also the only show of the tour that Lesnar will be working.

There are literally tons of "fun" but meaningless matches you could put Brock in. Kofi makes absolutely no sense. 

If WWE wanted to sell The Network though, they'd do Miz/Brock. How many people would pay $10 to see Miz taken to Suplex City?

• Like 1

I love how you all are freaking out over Brock/Kofi in Tokyo as if that match can't be changed now, tomorrow, the day of, or the second someone comes out of the curtain.

The match is booked as Brock Lesnar vs. (eh, just put Kofi Kingston in there for now)

Literally ANYBODY could be put there.  Stop acting like there is some universal WWE house show rule that has been followed ever.

• Like 2

I honest to God can't wait to see Brock vs Kofi. It's just so incredibly weird that I'm dying to see it. I'm looking forward to that more than anything else and if it isn't Kofi I hope it's someone equally bizarre.

Booooooo

I want Lesnar and Harper to re-create the Awesome/Tanaka series.

Smiling at the visual of Lesnar vs. Harper and Lesnar vs. Cesaro.

If you seriously don't want to see Kofi Kingston eat white hot death at the hands of Brock fucking Lesnar, in Japan, where he is more likely to be even stiffer... I don't know if you are a reasonable wrestling fan.

When Kofi found out, his emotions are "I'm getting booked against Brock" to "I'm going to get the shit beat outta me by Brock".

Just rewatched Cesaro/Kidd vs the Ascension from 4th May and Cesaro has the best hot tag in the business right now. Those continuous uppercuts should be a finish not a kick out at 2.

I like Cesaro's uppercut strikes, the Very European Uppercut and now this, I call it the Uppercut Combo X10.