DVDVR Message Board

2015 NBA OFFSEASON

Cole Miner

The more the Clippers talk about the DeAndre Jordan situation the more childish that whole thing sounds.

Some bad news for the Sixers fans...

SB Nation NBA @SBNationNBA 6m6 minutes ago

Joel Embiid is likely to miss the entire season after second surgery on his right foot:

Included a link to the story via SBNation that of course links to the Philadelphia Inquirer. Skip over to the 2nd link since I hadn't realized it until I linked to the first....damn you internet.

Anyway...

The Sixers are planning as if Embiid won’t play this season, sources say. Another source said the franchise is concerned that this setback could be career-threatening.

That sucks. Hope it doesn't come to that.

Welp.  I did hear that Okafor has been playing well in Summer League.  I'm trying to think of some 76ers positives right now.

I'll say this about the Miami Heat: if they stay healthy, on paper, they are contender to come out of the East.  The thing is: they won't all stay healthy or at least the important players (i.e. Wade) will not be healthy the whole year.  Dangerous team though.

Welp.  I did hear that Okafor has been playing well in Summer League.  I'm trying to think of some 76ers positives right now.

I'll say this about the Miami Heat: if they stay healthy, on paper, they are contender to come out of the East.  The thing is: they won't all stay healthy or at least the important players (i.e. Wade) will not be healthy the whole year.  Dangerous team though.

How is Bosh recovering?

Sucks about Embiid. Even if he does fully recover physically, I can't imagine missing the two most important seasons in terms of development can be anything but awful for him.

He was the second best bet for the triangle after Okafor. I hope he wins those shitbums over.

Speaking of which, Nicholas Dawidoff wrote a lengthy article about the origins of the triangle offense, how little anybody knows about its actual mechanics, and how it evolved from Tex Winter to Phil Jackson. It's a great read. Apologies if it's been posted in here before. Jay Bilas tweeted about it a few weeks back before quoting Jeezy. I just read the credits at the bottom that the straw diagrams were created by an artist from season 1 of True Detective.

Duncan was the best player on a team that won five championships over a insanely long period of time. The Spurs are a great organization. But Manu and Tony Parker are his two best teammates and will be in the Hall of Fame. But neither one of those guys is anywhere near as good as Kareem or Worthy or McHale or Parish or Pippen.  Duncan has an excellent case to make that he's Top 5.I'm not sure who to replace but the guy is absolutely incredible.

And, yes, totally different positions but Duncan's better than Kobe. Kobe's later years have not held up. He's nowhere near as efficient as Duncan and has become a pretty embarrassing defender, too. Duncan's still a total rock of a defender.

Duncan is top 10 all time but saying he was the best player on the last Spurs championship team is a bit of a stretch.  Granted I'm not sure if you are actually arguing that or if it is just phrased a bit awkwardly...

• Like 1

Duncan vs. Kobe was a hell of a debate a few years ago, but with Tim tying him in rings, pulling within one in coference titles, and turning the longevity and durability toss up into a landslide, while having a slight edge in individual accomplishments... I think Timmy won that battle pretty easily.

I feel like I'm splitting hairs here, but my big issue with putting Duncan top five or ten all-time is that he never really had a season where he played at that level.

Hell, there are only two seasons of his career that he really has a strong argument for being the best player in the NBA (01-02 and 02-03, where he led in win shares and win back to back MVPs) and even then the only reason he was ahead of Shaq was that Shaq wasn't healthy.

Longevity is his best argument, and that makes Kareem the most obvious comp. But Kareem led in win shares 9 times.

He's unquestionably top twenty, but I just can't see the argument for him being as good as being pushed. He's great, but top ten? I don't really see it.

For shits and giggles, who would you put ahead of him?

Off the top of my head, without digging into numbers

Jordan

Bird

Magic

Wilt

Russell

Kareem

Lebron

West

Robertson

That's nine, and there's a good case for George Mikan (era issues) and Shaq, and debatable cases for Malone and other Malone and probably a few guys I've completely forgotten.

So I guess I can see an argument for him at ten, but I'd have a hard time seeing him above any of those nine.

Duncan vs. Kobe was a hell of a debate a few years ago, but with Tim tying him in rings, pulling within one in coference titles, and turning the longevity and durability toss up into a landslide, while having a slight edge in individual accomplishments... I think Timmy won that battle pretty easily.

I feel like I'm splitting hairs here, but my big issue with putting Duncan top five or ten all-time is that he never really had a season where he played at that level.

Hell, there are only two seasons of his career that he really has a strong argument for being the best player in the NBA (01-02 and 02-03, where he led in win shares and win back to back MVPs) and even then the only reason he was ahead of Shaq was that Shaq wasn't healthy.

Longevity is his best argument, and that makes Kareem the most obvious comp. But Kareem led in win shares 9 times.

He's unquestionably top twenty, but I just can't see the argument for him being as good as being pushed. He's great, but top ten? I don't really see it.

Honestly, going with the all-time question of Kobe vs. Duncan, it actually does work for the classic form since now, Kobe vs. Duncan really does seem to be the exact same question as "Who was better: Wilt or Russell?" Both cases have the same form- one guy who's clearly the more talented one, but also a bigger cancer on the court for their team, against a player who may not be technically as gifted as the other, but was far better at the team aspect of the game and ended up making his teammates better. 

The thing about Wilt and those stats are that he was essentially unguardable by most of the league, because of his size.  He was good and the numbers are ridiculous, but when you take into account he was being guarded by someone 8 inches shorter than him more often than not it kind of takes something away from him when compared to others.  I think he's clearly top 10, but I really have no idea how to actually compare him to people who were actually playing against people who could compete with him physically.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/130817-greatness-revisited-why-wilt-chamberlain-is-the-greatest-nba-player-ever

I like to keep this around to counter all that "Wilt played against midgets" nonsense, among other things. Wilt Chamberlain was a 7-foot track star who competed with Pumping Iron-era Schwarzenegger in the weight room. He's the single greatest physical specimen in the history of the human race. The reason he didn't win every title every year is the same reason Dash loses the race at the end of The Incredibles; he held back.

Also, the Embiid stuff to me is less "Embiid being the next Oden" and more "Hinkie being ridiculously cautious to make sure Embiid doesn't become the next Oden, even if it means giving up two seasons"...

• Like 1

The Embiid stuff plays right in to Hinkie's hands. It buys him another couple of years of 'the process', patience, and the wait and see approach. Hinkie can now get away with keeping the sixes awful for two more years at least.

Duncan is great, but no one way was he the best player on all five of those Spur championship teams.  Tony had better performances on 1 or 2 of those teams.  I'm not sure who gets the "best player" nod for their last championship run.  Everyone contributed.  Kawhi, maybe? 

The thing about Wilt and those stats are that he was essentially unguardable by most of the league, because of his size.  He was good and the numbers are ridiculous, but when you take into account he was being guarded by someone 8 inches shorter than him more often than not it kind of takes something away from him when compared to others.  I think he's clearly top 10, but I really have no idea how to actually compare him to people who were actually playing against people who could compete with him physically.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/130817-greatness-revisited-why-wilt-chamberlain-is-the-greatest-nba-player-ever

I like to keep this around to counter all that "Wilt played against midgets" nonsense, among other things. Wilt Chamberlain was a 7-foot track star who competed with Pumping Iron-era Schwarzenegger in the weight room. He's the single greatest physical specimen in the history of the human race. The reason he didn't win every title every year is the same reason Dash loses the race at the end of The Incredibles; he held back.

Also, the Embiid stuff to me is less "Embiid being the next Oden" and more "Hinkie being ridiculously cautious to make sure Embiid doesn't become the next Oden, even if it means giving up two seasons"...

Wilt Chamberlain having a 48" vertical is the most insane thing I've ever heard in my life.  So he could jump off of a dropstep and his head would be 11 feet off from the ground.  So that article puts a lot of things into perspective, but he's still the most impossible player to judge historically.  He is clearly one of the most ridiculous athletes of all time, but a player that skilled and overpowering should have won more championships.  Those 76ers teams were actually really good.  they even won 55 games the year after Wilt left.  The fact that those Lakers teams only won one championship is kind of inexcusable if he was actually as good as the numbers say.  On the other hand, we very well may be looking at the numbers and discounting the fact that the NBA wasn't really that far behind him.  He was clearly really good, and easily a top 10 player, but his career kind of seems like it is a lot of numbers that don't add up to much.  With that said, if Lebron only wins two titles, our grandkids will be having this same conversation.