DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania XXXI - The Greatest Show Ever

Big Fresh

Anyone booing Reigns after this performance needs to just go away. And whatever Brock is making he is fucking worth it

Not taking anything away from Reigns, and I think this match was a good jumping-off point for rehabilitating him going forward, but I think most of what was transcendent about this match was all about Brock being 1) such a monstrous human that everybody looks vulnerable and sympathetic when he's ragdolling them, and 2) a crazy dude on a part-time schedule who is willing to eat legit strikes to make his opponent look good, in part because he knows he doesn't have to do it again for 6 months. That's a unique combination that nobody else on the roster can/would/should bring to the table.

Like, I can't see Kane being like, "Sure, Roman, just punch me in the face for real tonight." Or Big Show being willing to Nigel McGuinness himself on the ringpost.

But at the same time, Lesnar needs guys who are willing to be ragdolled six ways to Sunday--Cena, Reigns, probably a couple of others.  Lesnar deserves a TON of credit.  But let's not undersell what Cena and Reigns did at Summer Slam and WM.  They were given a job, and they delivered in spades.

They were given the same job someone being attacked by a grizzly bear has, live to see tomorrow. Reigns brought it big fucking time, and he deserves a ton of credit, but he's going to have to make people care about him against normal human beings to get to the next level.

Everyone can evaluate matches differetly but I think you had one all-time ***** classic (main event), two ****+ matches with Rollins/Orton and the ladder match, and everything was *** or so (divas tag exempted).

Combine that with the best spectacle garbage match since Hogan/Vince, two legit shock angles with the main event finish and the Rock/Rousey angle, and some of the best entrances in the company's history and it's impossible to praise this show enough.

It's not WM 17, but it's the best top-to bottom Wrestlemania in maybe a decade. 

Did anyone think that was even possible a week ago? Did anyone think this show had any shot of being even half as good? 

I think when you look at all the factors it's one of the best "big shows" of all-time.

I agree with all this. I'm also thinking Lesnar/Reigns may be *****. Wouldn't be surprised if Meltzer gives it ***** either.

The only thing keeping Reigns/Lesnar out of all time super classico 5 star range for me is the finish. I know WHY they did it but they didn't NEED to do it.

There's no way you can go 5 stars on a match with no finish. No point in even having 5 stars then.

The only thing that annoys me about the totally fucking awesome PPV is that Seth's win will somehow lead to Randy Orton making a claim to the title via WWE Math.

Kudos to Randy for the miracle ass RKO spot but seriously fuck that guy.

Two nice touches I didn't notice until the second time around:

-They made sure to give Ambrose the Holy Shit Bump to make sure he'd be too incapacitated to do what he pledged: Stop Rollins from cashing in.

-As a character, Brock's one weakness is his own hubris, and I said months ago that would be the thing to cost him the title. Had he not made Reigns into dogmeat in five minutes like he could have, it wouldn't have let Reigns back into it and subsequently put Brock in a position where he couldn't prevent the cash-in.

Since Harper was the one who killed Ambrose it would be awesome if it was revealed that Rollins had him do it. Rollins needs to add a new member to his security team now that he's the champ.

<p>

• HHH AND THE ROCK! RONDA ROUSEY! HOLY SHIT! MY BRAIN IS EXPLODING FROM THE EXCITEMENT AND INSANITY! People who think that Rousey isn't as popular as LT are out of their fucking mind. Get the fuck out of the wrestling bubble.
Placing Rousey and LT in the same level of popularity is EPITOME of "wrestling bubble". No one outside of wrestling/mma circles could pick her out of a lineup. LT is legitimately one of the most famous athletes of the last 40 years. I'd say easily top 15 as far as just people knowing who the fuck he is. You think in 15 years people will remember Ronda tapping out someone like they do Joe Theismann being crippled by LT?

You may have literally lost your mind. Yeah because in 15 years Ronda will have tapped someone less than 15 years ago. LT retired from football 22 years ago and the Theisman thing was 30 years ago. Ronda is the top female athlete in an individual sport and lives in an age of social media. LT was one of the best linebackers of all time in a team sport... Where they wear helmets...nearly 30 years ago...in the newspaper age. More people know who Ronda Rousey is. Including people who would otherwise have no business knowing who Ronda Rousey is.

Putting LT in the top 15 of athletes for the last 40 years?  Dude be trolling.

Does anyone even keep track of the Andre battle royal?

I didn't even know Cesaro had won one...until he made a joke about no one in WWE mentioning it In the past year.

I dont think a long Rock/Rousey segment is the pivotal reason why WWE find the battle royal and, even some if its participants, dispensable.

There's only been 2.

• Like 1

Everyone can evaluate matches differetly but I think you had one all-time ***** classic (main event), two ****+ matches with Rollins/Orton and the ladder match, and everything was *** or so (divas tag exempted).

Combine that with the best spectacle garbage match since Hogan/Vince, two legit shock angles with the main event finish and the Rock/Rousey angle, and some of the best entrances in the company's history and it's impossible to praise this show enough.

Did anyone think that was even possible a week ago? Did anyone think this show had any shot of being even half as good?

I think when you look at all the factors it's one of the best "big shows" of all-time.

I agree with all this. I'm also thinking Lesnar/Reigns may be *****. Wouldn't be surprised if Meltzer gives it ***** either.

The only thing keeping Reigns/Lesnar out of all time super classico 5 star range for me is the finish. I know WHY they did it but they didn't NEED to do it.

There's no way you can go 5 stars on a match with no finish. No point in even having 5 stars then.

I'm not handing out a star rating either way, but what do you people mean "no ending?"

Seth Rollins pinned Roman Reigns clean in the middle of the ring to win the triple threat match. That's a finish.

<p>

• HHH AND THE ROCK! RONDA ROUSEY! HOLY SHIT! MY BRAIN IS EXPLODING FROM THE EXCITEMENT AND INSANITY! People who think that Rousey isn't as popular as LT are out of their fucking mind. Get the fuck out of the wrestling bubble.
Placing Rousey and LT in the same level of popularity is EPITOME of "wrestling bubble". No one outside of wrestling/mma circles could pick her out of a lineup. LT is legitimately one of the most famous athletes of the last 40 years. I'd say easily top 15 as far as just people knowing who the fuck he is. You think in 15 years people will remember Ronda tapping out someone like they do Joe Theismann being crippled by LT?
You may have literally lost your mind. Yeah because in 15 years Ronda will have tapped someone less than 15 years ago. LT retired from football 22 years ago and the Theisman thing was 30 years ago. Ronda is the top female athlete in an individual sport and lives in an age of social media. LT was one of the best linebackers of all time in a team sport... Where they wear helmets...nearly 30 years ago...in the newspaper age. More people know who Ronda Rousey is. Including people who would otherwise have no business knowing who Ronda Rousey is.

Putting LT in the top 15 of athletes for the last 40 years? Dude be trolling.

We can nitpick over who outranks who or just concede that he's at least in the conversation. And he is. Dude was a freak.

I have a feeling Rollins may never win a match during his title reign.  Like seriously never win a title defense.  Either way, I'm glad he won.  

He'll win, just won't be any "clean" wins.  J&J Security's about to earn some overtime.

Orton and Reigns both have a legitimate beef for the title. And that means they now have beef with each other. Reigns will likely have some match time with a guy who, while a total snooze, is also really good.

I'm looking forward to Rollins escaping with the belt for the next few months. I'd prefer if he didn't beat anyone without interference or duplicitous means or took count-outs. He's an even better opportunistic sleazebag than Edge, who set the template for the role in the post MITB-era.

Let folks enjoy the moment, will ya? ;)

They were given the same job someone being attacked by a grizzly bear has, live to see tomorrow. Reigns brought it big fucking time, and he deserves a ton of credit, but he's going to have to make people care about him against normal human beings to get to the next level.

Just want to point out that Sting/H³ ended with Motorhead blaring and Trips looking king sized and Sting looking like a second rate wrestler.

Exactly as I predicted and dreaded. And as many many people doubted.

So he looked like he's looked since his match with Hogan at Starrcade?

I'm not handing out a star rating either way, but what do you people mean "no ending?"

Seth Rollins pinned Roman Reigns clean in the middle of the ring to win the triple threat match. That's a finish.

There was no ending to the Brock/Reigns match. It just became a triple threat. If you consider that a real ending, then it definitely isn't 5 stars, because it wasn't a really great ending.

I just look at the Rollins thing as WWE bailing themselves out a booking situation that they shouldn't have put themselves in to begin with.

complex.com/sports/2015/03/listen-seth-rollins-thank-you-so-much-pinning-roman-reigns-wrestlemania-wwe-title?utm_campaign=complexmag%2Bsocialflow%2B03%2B2015&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

Why would Rollins that Reigns? I never understood wrestlers thanking each other in a fake sport. Reigns was just doing his job. Reigns WM payday would be the same regardless if he won or lost the match.

Orton and Reigns both have a legitimate beef for the title. And that means they now have beef with each other. Reigns will likely have some match time with a guy who, while a total snooze, is also really good.

I'm looking forward to Rollins escaping with the belt for the next few months. I'd prefer if he didn't beat anyone without interference or duplicitous means or took count-outs. He's an even better opportunistic sleazebag than Edge, who set the template for the role in the post MITB-era.

To be fair, Edge beat Batista clean for like 5 straight PPVs

Does anyone even keep track of the Andre battle royal?

I didn't even know Cesaro had won one...until he made a joke about no one in WWE mentioning it In the past year.

I dont think a long Rock/Rousey segment is the pivotal reason why WWE find the battle royal and, even some if its participants, dispensable.

The battle royal was bumped a couple of days before the show. Every other segment on Mania was announced well beforehand. It is almost certainly the reason the battle royal was moved to the main show. Leaving the participants off the main show because they are deemed dispensable sends the message to the fans that they are dispensable as well. Ronda Rousey isn't going to show up at every WWE event to wrestle and make the company money. They could have gotten the same mainstream attention doing this segment on a RAW - the go-home show would have been a perfect chance to drum up that mainstream interest and sell WrestleMania.

Well that's silly. Of course there was a finish. Bell rang, new champ, done deal. Not liking it is one thing. Pretending it doesn't exist is another.

Lesnar took that spear at the end like a fucking champ.

Was thinking to myself earlier who had the better "year" from Mania to Mania between Lesnar and Rollins.

Lesnar- ended streak,4x Match of Year contenders,most protected, dominant and over talent the WWE has, has the best RAW segment any time he's on the show. And a big fat contract from Vinny Mac.

Rollins- feud with Evolution,pushed as top heel in the company, great feud with Ambrose, wins MITB, recognised as future of company, wins WWE title at biggest show of year.

Close call

Well that's silly. Of course there was a finish. Bell rang, new champ, done deal. Not liking it is one thing. Pretending it doesn't exist is another.

Guess we can agree to disagree here.

<p>

Putting LT in the top 15 of athletes for the last 40 years? Dude be trolling.

We can nitpick over who outranks who or just concede that he's at least in the conversation. And he is. Dude was a freak.

Fuck why is this still a thing?  Josh is one of the few people with any goddamn sense here.  Also, I didn't way he was one of the TOP athletes, I said he was one of the most well known.  No, he wasn't Bo Jackson, Joe Montana or Larry Bird, but everyone knew who the hell he was.  This discussion is making me hate the show by proxy.

Rewatching Sting vs. Triple H, I managed to pinpoint the moment H got the hellacious bruise. It was when Sting threw him into the corner and H went over the top. He bumped the apron on the way down, but instead of the usual apron, it was a video screen apron like they have in NXT.