DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania XXXI - The Greatest Show Ever

Big Fresh

Everyone can evaluate matches differetly but I think you had one all-time ***** classic (main event), two ****+ matches with Rollins/Orton and the ladder match, and everything was *** or so (divas tag exempted).

Combine that with the best spectacle garbage match since Hogan/Vince, two legit shock angles with the main event finish and the Rock/Rousey angle, and some of the best entrances in the company's history and it's impossible to praise this show enough.

It's not WM 17, but it's the best top-to bottom Wrestlemania in maybe a decade.

Did anyone think that was even possible a week ago? Did anyone think this show had any shot of being even half as good?

I think when you look at all the factors it's one of the best "big shows" of all-time.

At the end of the day, the only factor that matters is feeling I got my money's worth or not. I can only speak for myself, but I feel like as a fan, I did.

I thought going in the show was going to be good. WrestleMania is almost always a good show, especially when you have a roster like this. Despite any problems with the booking, I don't think there's really anyone who can complain about how talented the roster is. They're just not always put in ideal spots (or, probably more accurately, spots hardcore fans don't think are ideal).

This year's show really stood out to me by having something for everyone. They had the car wreck ladder match, the nostalgic 500 run-ins match, a Divas match, a Cena Is Our Hero match, an Undertaker Returns deal and a really great main event with a total shock ending. It was sort of a perfect show for the broad audience WrestleMania has -- diehards, kids, nostalgists, Total Divas fans and once-a-year viewers.

I don't remember a show that gave such a good platter for so many different types of fans.

If this is one of the best shows of all time, wrestling must be really bad.

People are only saying it was an all-time great show because they are used to seeing such bad shit and forgetting how good things used to be.

Once the nonsense cools off, like it always does, people are going to see this for what it was. Wrestling wise, it doesn't compare to 19, 17, 3 or others. You had one good main event without a true finish, compared to 17/19 which had multiple good matches. Entertainment/All-around fun, I thought 21 was more fun and made more sense. The right people also won then, whereas multiple right people didn't win here - Sting, Axel/Itami/Mizdow in the Battle Royale, Rusev and Brock.

I've watched very little wrestling in the last two years, but the Tokyo Dome show was much better and at least two of the NXT specials of late were better. If I can come up with better stuff after seeing most of ONE Tokyo Dome show and a few of the NXT specials, then you know this wasn't that great.

SNL_1350_09_Debbie_Downer.png

Please explain what made this the best show of all-time and why this should be anywhere within my top 100 shows ever. It had one great match with a questionable finish, and a bunch of "moments", including one that made no sense multiple ways and one that went too long. It also had a battle royale that seemed to exist only to make internet fans mad.

Posting response meme's is no defense of your point. If I'm gonna say a show is the best ever, I'm gonna defend it and I'm going to compare it with oher shows I thought were great.

I don't even think it's the best show in the last few months from WWE and the Tokyo Dome was 100 times better.

I'm right with you, but I just popped in to remind everyone that feline aids is the number one killer of domestic cats. 

Great. Have your pets spayed or neutered folks and maybe some opinions without details with them.

This thread is 22 pages of people explaining why they really liked this show, so I'm not sure what else you want. I'm sorry no one feels like giving your NUH UH the war it deserves. The last dome show was super cool too. So was the last NXT show. Last night's Mania was also super cool. It's ok to like things. 

I have no problem with people liking things. I somewhat liked the show. Just don't see how it's the best ever or stacked up to The Tokyo Dome or some of the NXT specials. I also don't see how the best way to respond to that was to post a picture instead of explaining how it was better.

I'm not saying that wasn't a cool spot, but I caught myself being too concerned for both of their wellbeings to enjoy it.

I'm sure it wasn't as bad as it looked but it's 2015 and we know way too much about concussions now.

• Like 1

Also, I dont think anyone is "suggesting" they were stalling for time with Rock & Rousey. I'm gotdam declaring it...

Yep, it was quite obvious.  Partly due to them trying to get Bray/Taker out closer to sundown, and part likely due to taking care of Bray's bad ankle.  I can understand complaints about the length, but there were logical reasons for it.

Everyone can evaluate matches differetly but I think you had one all-time ***** classic (main event), two ****+ matches with Rollins/Orton and the ladder match, and everything was *** or so (divas tag exempted).

Combine that with the best spectacle garbage match since Hogan/Vince, two legit shock angles with the main event finish and the Rock/Rousey angle, and some of the best entrances in the company's history and it's impossible to praise this show enough.

It's not WM 17, but it's the best top-to bottom Wrestlemania in maybe a decade. 

Did anyone think that was even possible a week ago? Did anyone think this show had any shot of being even half as good? 

I think when you look at all the factors it's one of the best "big shows" of all-time.

I agree with all this. I'm also thinking Lesnar/Reigns may be *****. Wouldn't be surprised if Meltzer gives it ***** either.

I have no problem with people liking things. I somewhat liked the show. Just don't see how it's the best ever or stacked up to The Tokyo Dome or some of the NXT specials. I also don't see how the best way to respond to that was to post a picture instead of explaining how it was better.

What good would explaining do? Wrestling's wholly subjective, it's not like they'll change your mind. It'd just give you more ammo to quote and disagree with (which is probably what you want, I guess).

Other completely unrelated, random thoughts-

-I spit Diet Pepsi all over myself at Steamboat's "WHOA YEAH!"

-Just before the HoF stuff, they had the camera on the announcers, and Beadle was in the audience behind them KILLING a hot dog, totally oblivious to the cameras.

-I legit thought Nash tore his quad again for a sec.

-I had a thought when Rusev was berating Lana post-match. My fear was always that they'd turn Rusev face and take Lana away, but if they split them up now, then whenever he turns face, they could have him come to her rescue somehow for the Savage/Elizabeth reunion.

"LANA... VILL YOU MARRY ME?!?"

I caught myself wide-mouthed smiling a LOT during this, so I guess that means I had a lot of fun and that's really all I could ask for.

What good would explaining do? Wrestling's wholly subjective, it's not like they'll change your mind. It'd just give you more ammo to quote and disagree with (which is probably what you want, I guess).

Other completely unrelated, random thoughts-

-I spit Diet Pepsi all over myself at Steamboat's "WHOA YEAH!"

-Just before the HoF stuff, they had the camera on the announcers, and Beadle was in the audience behind them KILLING a hot dog, totally oblivious to the cameras.

-I legit thought Nash tore his quad again for a sec.

-I had a thought when Rusev was berating Lana post-match. My fear was always that they'd turn Rusev face and take Lana away, but if they split them up now, then whenever he turns face, they could have him come to her rescue somehow for the Savage/Elizabeth reunion.

"LANA... VILL YOU MARRY ME?!?"

I caught myself wide-mouthed smiling a LOT during this, so I guess that means I had a lot of fun and that's really all I could ask for.

You just can't say ___ is the best ever without expecting someone to argue with it or disagree with it. That's all.

I don't feel like the match quality was in any doubt.  There were a few question marks(Taker's condition, how well Lesnar/Reigns would work together in their first meeting), but as noted, this roster is super-talented and usually delivers in that regard.

Reigns looks to be in great shape. I wish he'd ditch the cargo pants and vest, and get some real wrestling gear. In fact have him lose the Shield music and entrance too. This is a perfect time to tweak his presentation after coming up short at Mania.

I don't know if he can. If you notice by the shirtless shot, he's still wearing a wrap to protect the area he had his hernia surgery.

Other completely unrelated,

Couldn't agree more.  I don't get into arguments about what show's better because it is subjective.  I had a shit ton of fun.  It seems a lot of others did also.  I can say that this was one of my favorite Wrestlemanias because of how fun it was.  Am I wrong for feeling that way, even if it is my opinion?  Doubt it.

I saw the other shows and they're all awesome.  Wrestling is fun, these shows are fun.  That's all that matters.

• Like 2

Wait a damn minute. Dean Ambrose is cosplaying John Connor! I get it now.

"Come with me if you want to sleep in a dumpster...."

That made me laugh way more than it should have.

Can somebody post pics of bloody Lesnar and bloody Reigns and a .gif of the powerbomb through the ladder? That seems to be all I'm missing out on after checking out the .gif thread aside from, ya know, watching the damn show.

Reigns looks to be in great shape. I wish he'd ditch the cargo pants and vest, and get some real wrestling gear. In fact have him lose the Shield music and entrance too. This is a perfect time to tweak his presentation after coming up short at Mania.

I don't know if he can. If you notice by the shirtless shot, he's still wearing a wrap to protect the area he had his hernia surgery.

He could go with black wrestling tights to match his wrap. Even if he wears the vest to the ring and takes it off once he gets in that could be okay too (i imagine that walk to the ring every night is not fun with everyone slapping you and women trying to be a butt bandit)

If this is one of the best shows of all time, wrestling must be really bad.

People are only saying it was an all-time great show because they are used to seeing such bad shit and forgetting how good things used to be.

Once the nonsense cools off, like it always does, people are going to see this for what it was. Wrestling wise, it doesn't compare to 19, 17, 3 or others. You had one good main event without a true finish, compared to 17/19 which had multiple good matches. Entertainment/All-around fun, I thought 21 was more fun and made more sense. The right people also won then, whereas multiple right people didn't win here - Sting, Axel/Itami/Mizdow in the Battle Royale, Rusev and Brock.

I've watched very little wrestling in the last two years, but the Tokyo Dome show was much better and at least two of the NXT specials of late were better. If I can come up with better stuff after seeing most of ONE Tokyo Dome show and a few of the NXT specials, then you know this wasn't that great.

SNL_1350_09_Debbie_Downer.png
Please explain what made this the best show of all-time and why this should be anywhere within my top 100 shows ever. It had one great match with a questionable finish, and a bunch of "moments", including one that made no sense multiple ways and one that went too long. It also had a battle royale that seemed to exist only to make internet fans mad.

Posting response meme's is no defense of your point. If I'm gonna say a show is the best ever, I'm gonna defend it and I'm going to compare it with oher shows I thought were great. For instance, I think DreamRush, Super J Cup 1994 and WM 17 are all good examples. They all had great matches top to bottom, they all were important historical shows, the heat was great and their legacy hasn't really changed in the 10-20 years since they all took place.

I don't even think it's the best show in the last few months from WWE and the Tokyo Dome was 100 times better.

You're a lot of fun.

Here are some unsolicited reasons why Bray-Taker was terrible:

- The commentary team basically saying "Guys, the Undertaker is so old and decrepit!  What an embarrassment!  Will he literally die in the ring?" while Bray was on offense

- Bray using the most cartoonish elements of his fat man offense

- That inexplicable spot where Bray ran knee-first into the steps for no apparent reason and then sold the knee.  I mean I think it was supposed to be like knee hits steps, steps hit ringpost, ringpost vibrates against Taker's head?  I don't know.

- Taker's reaction to the Tombstone kickout, especially the slow motion replay with his cheeks flapping in the breeze

- The slowest, shittiest Sister Abigail ever

- Duelling finisher kickouts for the third time on the card.  Has no one heard of the concept of diminishing returns?  I think we were in double digits for finisher kickouts on the night.  LOL at King all but saying "We have finisher kickouts starting from the second match on the card because it's WRESTLEMANIA!" during Rollins-Orton

• Like 1

Wait a damn minute. Dean Ambrose is cosplaying John Connor! I get it now.

"Come with me if you want to sleep in a dumpster...."

That made me laugh way more than it should have.

Can somebody post pics of bloody Lesnar and bloody Reigns and a .gif of the powerbomb through the ladder? That seems to be all I'm missing out on after checking out the .gif thread aside from, ya know, watching the damn show.

I want to see a gif of that release PerfectPlex that threw Reigns across the ring.  (aw shit, maybe it's just me so I'll have to make it)

Maybe Lesnar will introduce "Suplex City, Bitch" as a response video to this:

- That inexplicable spot where Bray ran knee-first into the steps for no apparent reason and then sold the knee. I mean I think it was supposed to be like knee hits steps, steps hit ringpost, ringpost vibrates against Taker's head? I don't know.

That was very odd, but I think what he was going for was using his gut to smash 'Taker's head against the post and he didn't care that it hurt him too (because he's Bray Wyatt).

I thought that match was alright.

• Like 1

There's a Vine in this article where you can pretty clearly hear Rollins say to Reigns, "Thank you soooo much!"

Bleacherreport.com/tb/dgjY3

EDIT: Why the fuck are links so hard to post on this board? Especially from your phone?