DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble 2015

Matt D

It was Christian being over that REALLY got people turning on Cena, and let's be real, Christian was REALLY over during that mid-2005 period.

As I recall, Cena was over for through the end of the JBL feud in 2005, and then people slowly started turning on him after that. 

as a percent, how many fans do you think knew that the Rock and Reigns were related?

Reigns being a bit of a CAW hinders him there. We don't "know" that he played football at a high level or that his family has a bunch of wrestlers. How many casual fans know that Reigns is a Samoan?

Reigns right now might be falling into the same box as Shitty Babyface Diesel in 1995. 

Glad you brought this up. I was thinking this the other day. Why not do some epic video that like a Ric Flair or Rock shows Roman to fire him up? Or shit, have Heyman do it. . Have some epic video of the Samoan family history. Show Yoko, Umaga...all the decades of history. Paint Roman as the new generation of stars, have the fucking Usos out there crying and cheering him on. Fans love that shit. Lonely Road of Faith it. Show him at home with his wife and daughter. Humanize him. Fans will get behind a likable babyface.

Have Paul do it and then flip it that Roman is a disgrace to the Samoan tradition. Adversity is good for heroes.  

• Like 2

The most worrying thing is the idea that for a second year in a row, they actually had a strategy that they thought would work.

Last year was "Yeah, they won't be happy, but we can control it.  We'll send Rey last!  That can't possibly not work.  We know what we're doing!"

This year it was "Yeah, they won't be happy, but we can control it.  We'll send Rocky out after.  That can't possibly not work.  We know what we're doing!"

It's the mixture of a complete 100% certainty that they have mastered crowd control like it's a science while being completely 100% wrong.  And then the next year doing it again using the exact same logic with the same 100% certainty and the same 100% wrongness.

It's kind of disturbing.

• Like 3

I wonder who the hell fed Reigns the line of "studying some tape" or if he came up with that himself for the Fallout promo.

I mean its just, can you come up with a less badass line like, "I'm going to go home and study some tape!"

I thought Reigns came off better in that promo than the Rock.  The studying tape line wasn't that bad.  Not great, but also not a dealbreaker. At least Reigns didn't seem particularly flustered, whereas I think the booing bothered Rock just enough to throw him off his usual game.

The highlight of the Rumble match itself were a couple of those women that came out with Adam Rose. I don't know who the redhead nurse was, she looked familiar, but a few of those ladies were prettier than a lot of current divas. I imagine they're Indy workers or something.

Triple Threat was great.

Pretty sure the readhead was Taeler Hendrix.

Man, they missed the boat on Captain Charisma in 04-05. Should have had a title feud with Benoit, where he just gets destroyed, then Trish distracts the ref, Tomko gets involved, great segment, rinse repeat until the finish.

And his Cena feud getting Jericho tacked on ugh. Christian was the best act on RAW at the time.

By far. I remember as his push was deflated, so was my interest in watching. 

So after thinking it over...

...I would've also accepted Diamond Dallas Page winning the Royal Rumble.

I loved seeing him back, but dude was gassed, I mean sucking wind in a major way, after 45 seconds. Understandable, but also kinda funny considering he's a fitness mogul now.

• Like 1

I seem to remember that the backlash was in full effect by SummerSlam '05, and I remember a RAW where Cena and Jericho had a battle of the bands, and Cena's rap people were just blistered with boos. A lot of people thought, especially on this board, that Jericho was just too cool and over as a cocky heel for Cena, who stopped rapping about Michael Cole being gay, and that Angle, being the best heel on the planet, would get people back on Cena's side. And then uncoordinated, clumsy ass Cena was outwrestling the Olympic gold medalist and it just got worse.

• Like 1

I loved seeing him back, but dude was gassed, I mean sucking wind in a major way, after 45 seconds. Understandable, but also kinda funny considering he's a fitness mogul now.

I don't think he was making a joke when he was clutching his back either.  Time for safety zone, DDP!

• Like 1

Being in shape isn't the same as being in ring shape.

• Like 1

Hell yeah Cena was over with JBL. First of all, crowds fucking detested JBL and Cena bleeding all over the place and then kicking his ass was money.

Christian and Trish SHOULD have been a hot act.  Christian was on fire at this point and Trish was a great heel and the hottest woman in WWE ever...  For whatever the reason their pairing went absolutely nowhere.

Brysynner, on 26 Jan 2015 - 01:00 AM, said:

With NXT I'm assuming the Reigns Era will be short lived if Balor can get over in WWE. He has the look that Vince likes and is believable against bigger guys like Shawn was.

Balor looked like a runt in there with Axel, and beyond one good tag match he hasn't done much. Zayn is the best guy in the company right now we'll see if he can get past Tyson Kidd status on the main roster.

I don't think he was making a joke when he was clutching his back either.  Time for safety zone, DDP!

Yeah. DDP had a look of GET ME SOME OXYGEN, AN EPSOM SALT BATH AND A BACK BRACE.  Sad yet amusing at the same time to a sicko like me.

Christian and Trish SHOULD have been a hot act.  Christian was on fire at this point and Trish was a great heel and the hottest woman in WWE ever...  For whatever the reason their pairing went absolutely nowhere.

The brass ring proves ever elusive.

• Like 1

BL88, on 26 Jan 2015 - 01:00 AM, said:BL88, on 26 Jan 2015 - 01:00 AM, said:

re: Rollins: I'm going to put this in spoiler tags so as not to invoke one shitstorm in the middle of another shitstorm.

I'm serious.

Dude is kind of the guy to beat for March Madness now, right? Evolution Tags, stepping into a top heel spot smoothly, Ambrose feud, Survivor Series, and now this? Like he's the guy. How is he not the guy.

EDIT: And yeah Cena/HHH was 06, and Cena/RVD was three months later.

Regarding the spoiler it's between him and Zayn for me. I think Zayn is much better in out of the ring stuff, and is a better in ring story teller, but he may lack some volume due to being in NXT. Still though Zayn's high end stuff is really strong.

as a percent, how many fans do you think knew that the Rock and Reigns were related?

Reigns being a bit of a CAW hinders him there. We don't "know" that he played football at a high level or that his family has a bunch of wrestlers. How many casual fans know that Reigns is a Samoan?

Reigns right now might be falling into the same box as Shitty Babyface Diesel in 1995. 

Glad you brought this up. I was thinking this the other day. Why not do some epic video that like a Ric Flair or Rock shows Roman to fire him up? Or shit, have Heyman do it. . Have some epic video of the Samoan family history. Show Yoko, Umaga...all the decades of history. Paint Roman as the new generation of stars, have the fucking Usos out there crying and cheering him on. Fans love that shit. Lonely Road of Faith it. Show him at home with his wife and daughter. Humanize him. Fans will get behind a likable babyface.

Have Paul do it and then flip it that Roman is a disgrace to the Samoan tradition. Adversity is good for heroes.  

I'd recommend Brock taking out Rosey (Reigns' older brother) but Rosey was hospitalized for heart failure in 2014 so having Brock Lesnar kill Rosey might be a bit much. Same reason why Rikishi doesn't bump much anymore.

Having Heyman claim that Reigns is softer than previous generation of Samoans might be a bit much. But there's enough Samoans that Brock could smash a few.