DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble 2015

Matt D

I think the big problem with the Rumble match was the title match went on first and a heel won. This made it obvious that a face was going to win the rumble. The only two realistic faces to win would be Bryan or Reigns. When Bryan got eliminated so early it took away all suspense. You knew Reigns was going to win. It exposed everything else that was going on.

Brock seemed pretty damn face-ish after tonight. He looked like a conquering hero. Maybe they'll turn Roman.

Why did they even bring Bryan back for the Rumble? Just for THAT?! Pathetic. What's different about last year is that they only really shit on Bryan then. This year you had Bryan, Ziggler, Ambrose all treated like complete mugs for the sake of Reigns, and probably some other guys too. You just know the idea for Mania is something like Bryan, Ziggler, Reigns, Ryback and Rowan vs. Big Show, Kane, Sheamus and J and J or something absurd. Vince just literally doesn't give a shit. 

Oh, Gregg, it's just a shame that all of us and the fans in the crowd just can't see the logical progression of the narrative and how brilliant it is as clearly as you do.  We are just such poor, misguided fools that are lucky to have you to spell it all out for us.

It's just too bad that this well-built narrative isn't actually very compelling, but rather obvious and predictable booking that everyone has seen coming and has been dreading.

Oh, Gregg, it's just a shame that all of us and the fans in the crowd just can't see the logical progression of the narrative and how brilliant it is as clearly as you do.  We are just such poor, misguided fools that are lucky to have you to spell it all out for us.

It's just too bad that this well-built narrative isn't actually very compelling, but rather obvious and predictable booking that everyone has seen coming and has been dreading.

So what's the difference between a well-build narrative and something predictable, then?

Are the people upset with Reigns winning because they knew it was going to happen or are they upset like a spoiled kid who still has to come to terms that Santa ain't real and has to ruin Christmas morning for everyone?

A good part of it is people being spoiled but I think the majority of the reason why people are pissed is because it was so obvious that Bryan wasn't in the plans.  At least as of now.   Personally I wouldn't have minded Reigns winning but for god sakes guys like Bryan should have been more competitive if they are main event guys.    At the very least wait until Reigns comes out before you eliminate him.  

I think it more fucked up that Kane was a final four person than anything.  I mean sure he has to get some phony record but the man NEVER WINS and is usually in dull matches.   That is more telling of someone that doesn't care about fans thoughts than Bryan's elimination

Oh, any remember how they booed Batista out of the building last year? And how the fans revolted because Bryan wasn't the last entrant? And how Bryan won WrestleMania?

Bryan taking back what he never rightfully lost is still on the table.

You honestly think they'll run a fucking triple threat match? Back to back years? With the same storyline?

Dude, I don't smoke weed anymore, but I'll break that promise to myself if you let me try some of whatever the fuck you're clearly smoking.

• Like 1

I think the Bray backlash (and I like Bray) is because he's done nothing for six months. No change in his promos. And his singles matches not against Daniel Bryan or John Cena have been pretty middle of the road.

The feud with Ambrose did nothing for either of them, character wise or in ring.

genetics, Mike Rotundo wasn't very exciting either. Also hard to be supernatural in a place where there is nothing to play off that.

Also, they shoulda at least had Ambrose v Reigns for the false finish. Have them eliminate Show/Kane, Show/Kane run in, Rock runs in, baddies scatter, Rusev emerges (more on that later), Rusev tosses Ambrose behind Reigns' back, then have an actual finish and get out of there.

Rusev's rise from nowhere seemed a bit added on when BROCK LESNAR DID THE SAME THING AN HOUR EARLIER.

Also, way waaaaaaay too much historical info and references from Cole/JBL. Nobody gives a shit if the 1989 winner entered at this number. It'd be like the Super Bowl announcers constantly dropping references to Super Bowls from the 70s mid-game. Also, don't be afraid to pretend you have a research crew, instead of having Cole/JBL acting like they knew everything about every Rumble.

Look, if you throw away whatever hatred you have for Roman, we had this:

1) The Final Four was The Corporate Oldhead Goons vs. The Remnants of The Shield. (And the breakup of The Shield was more-or-less the story from a little after last WrestleMania). The powerhouse of The Shield beat The Corporation, just like he beat so many others in his short tenure.

To get to this:

2) Now to become the man, he has to beat the man his legendary uncle couldn't topple at the biggest stage of them all.

Narratively, there's nothing wrong with that. It's actually a really well-built, well thought-out story arc that's been in the works for a really long time.

I don't see the problem in that. At all.

The problem is that everyone hates Reigns. And that's fine. He got booed out of the building. He's "not ready" for his push. His uncle wasn't ready for his push, either, and ended up as the biggest star in wrestling history. I'm not saying Roman's on that trajectory, but he's one Superman punch to his uncle or -- even better -- one spear to Daniel Bryan away from being the biggest heel in years.

I physically wanna slap you till you become sane.

It's a well built story... That nobody cares about.

And if Reigns DOES turn heel, he doesn't magically become more over then Trips (who went from mega over face to heel simply because the crowd loved Bryan more) or Brock. He just becomes the new guy people want to see Bryan beat. And, if he's not currently ready to handle the face side of a main event match, what in gods name makes you think he can handle the heel side?

Sure, it wasn't a great show, but we got that awesomely ridiculous drunken Rock promo after the event, plus Bubba did the WHAZZUP spot with the guy whose entire gimmick is that he says What's Up. Not a complete loss if you ask me.

• Like 4

Who gives a shit if it's 'well written' or 'predictable?'

The Rumble is the third biggest show of the year and you want a hot start to WM. What's wrong with calling an audible? Are the NXT kids that micromanaged that they don't know how to do a spot that will make the crowd react? But I've been saying the NXT call ups don't know how to work a crowd anyway.

It's late and have to get up a 4. Night boys :)

So what's the difference between a well-build narrative and something predictable, then?

Is this a serious question?

"Well-built" is not synonymous with "telegraphed with zero subtlety".  There is a distinct difference between a logical progression of a story that includes a few kinks and twists along the way to make one second-guess their own instincts and enjoy the ride to the climax, and one that is so obvious that there's no point in finishing because you already know what's going to happen.

Brock/Reigns should be epic if for no other reason than the crowd reaction.

Smark crowd will obviously shit on Reigns, and by then we should know pretty definitively if Lesnar is leaving or not.  If so, I expect a match full of booing and Daniel Bryan/random chants. If he's staying, he will be the clear babyface in the match.

I loved seeing Bubba.  If there was one guy who deserves another shot in the WWE, it's him.  He is in the best shape of his career and......

Uh, not even close.  Bubba tonight looked like he had just eaten D-Von.

He didn't look too fat.  I'd still love to see him with the Bully gimmick, not the Bubba thing.  I know he wouldn't be main eventing or anything but as a solid mid-card heel act, it'd be great.

He was a lot bigger than I remember him being in tna. It was kinda disappointing because I would like to see a Bully Ray run too.

Oh, any remember how they booed Batista out of the building last year? And how the fans revolted because Bryan wasn't the last entrant? And how Bryan won WrestleMania?

Bryan taking back what he never rightfully lost is still on the table.

So after claiming for a year that you felt justified by the E giving the belt to Bryan at Mania and saying "well who knows if this wasn't the plan from the start" you are now claiming that they might be doing the exact same thing AGAIN the next year?

At a certain point, you have to call a idiotic decision an idiotic decision.