DVDVR Message Board

2015 RING OF HONOR DISCUSSION THREAD

Dalton Castle is going to be a huge star.  Not sure where that will happen, but he will be.  In two appearances he's established his character, has a killer entrance and is good in the ring.  And it can only get better.  I get that WWE would "ruin" him, but maybe NXT could work for him?  Either way, I need to see more from him.  I'm just so bummed I got there late and missed this live.  Resting on a man-made chair was aces.

Best thing by far on this week's ROH was Dalton Castle's entrance and his promo.

He is also pretty solid in the ring as well.  Clearly the man has some college wrestling experience given his moveset

He's not pretty solid in the ring . He's smooth sailing in the ring! Fruit baskets for all! If you like Dalton Castle you'll also love Ashley Remington in the ring  :) .

• Like 1

I really have no idea how to feel about reDRagon. They are presented as this super team, and while both guys are clearly super athletic and talented, there is just something about their style that doesn't connect with me. Whereas the Young Bucks really incorporate their flashy indy movesets as an important part of their obnoxious heelish characters, I just don't get much personality from reDRagon. But perhaps that is an unfair comparison.

Bobby Fish is trying to be the poor man's Arn Anderson of ROH but at least he's trying to add a ring persona to go with his moves.

Kyle O'Reilly leaves me with same feeling get when Roderick Strong come to ringside.  Solid worker but has less charisma than a jar of Miracle Whip. 

Hey, Roddy.  If you have to wear a shirt that advertises that you are Mr. ROH, then you are probably not Mr. ROH.

• Like 1

I remember I couldn't stand O'Reilly for the longest time.  Didn't mind him as part of Future Shock, it was all from his teaming with Richards.  I couldn't him or the music and wanted to avoid anything with him in it.  Of course the main issue wasn't necessarily him, it was all Davey.  Once Davey left I found myself slowly starting to like the guy.  His appearance on Colt's podcast certainly helped.  The teaming with Fish was the best thing that could happen to him.  Now I'm actually a quasi-fan of the guy.  Not to make it about me, but I told him pretty much all this at one of the after parties.  He was absolutely fine with it and we chatted for a little bit.  Nice guy.

And Oyaji, it's good to know Kyle is so concerned for our prostates.

• Like 3

It makes me sleep easier knowing that Dem Boys are concerned about my prostate. Mark Briscoe needs more endorsement deals.

I think teaming with Fish has let O'Reilly show some actual personality during their Fish Tank vignettes, and it's made me dislike him less.

I remember I couldn't stand O'Reilly for the longest time.  Didn't mind him as part of Future Shock, it was all from his teaming with Richards.  I couldn't him or the music and wanted to avoid anything with him in it.  Of course the main issue wasn't necessarily him, it was all Davey.  Once Davey left I found myself slowly starting to like the guy.  His appearance on Colt's podcast certainly helped.  The teaming with Fish was the best thing that could happen to him.  Now I'm actually a quasi-fan of the guy.  Not to make it about me, but I told him pretty much all this at one of the after parties.  He was absolutely fine with it and we chatted for a little bit.  Nice guy.

And Oyaji, it's good to know Kyle is so concerned for our prostates.

100% agree

• Like 1

Best thing by far on this week's ROH was Dalton Castle's entrance and his promo.

He is also pretty solid in the ring as well.  Clearly the man has some college wrestling experience given his moveset

By the way, I don't want anybody but the Briscoes to give me vital information about my prostrate on their TV show  ^_^

By the way, I don't want anybody but the Briscoes to give me vital information about my prostrate on their TV show  ^_^

Why don't you be a man like me, and put it on the line! *while lounging on his Boys*

Why wasn't he in March Madness?  I think he's my new favorite wrestler, he could go too he had some great amateur moves.  WWE needs to sign this guy and put him in NXT

And yeah, I just don't trust reDRagon like I would trust the Briscoes with my prostate

Man, I've only been watching sporadically for the last month or so, and a few weeks about a year back, but that Castle segment was my favourite thing on ROH TV ever.  I'm not sold on him in the ring yet - He's got some timing issues and his punches are a little stinky - but he's got a great base and somehow the amateur wrestling style as the exact opposite of what you'd expect out of the guy works so perfectly.

Killer Elite Squad are coming to ROH April 4th

http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/press-release-new-japan-pro-wrestling-s-killer-elite-squad-coming-to-roh-details-inside

Ring of Honor's return to San Antonio is the next stop on THE CONQUEST TOUR! Our television cameras will be rolling to capture all the fallout from SUPERCARD OF HONOR IX. By the time we get to April 4th, we might have a whole new roster of champions! This event is shaping up quickly and features ALBERTO EL PATRÓN! For tickets to be there live in San Antonio on April 4th, click HERE!

War Machine is back in action! After a horrific motorcycle accident, Ray Rowe considered himself lucky to be alive. And he swore to come back from rehabilitation better than ever! Now he has reunited with his partner, Hanson, and they are ready to pick up where they left off: taking over the tag team scene in ROH. Long ago, War Machine had the stamp of approval of former ROH World Champion, Michael Elgin. As a trio, this was a seemingly unstoppable force, bigger and stronger than ANYONE else in Ring of Honor!

But since he lost his championship, Michael Elgin's increasing paranoia has convinced him he has no allies in ROH, including War Machine. He has decided they turned their backs on him just like everyone else...and nothing will convince him otherwise. Elgin and Hanson have already been at way, nearly destroying entire buildings as their brawls spill out of the ring! Now that War Machine is back in action, Elgin is determined to destroy the team...

WAR MACHINE vs. KILLER ELITE SQUAD (Davey Boy Smith Jr. & Lance Archer)

KES is coming to ROH! Michael Elgin has recruited these international stars to take out War Machine in San Antonio. Davey Boy Smith, Jr. and Lance Archer united as a force in Japan. They are former IWGP Tag Team Champions and the current GHC Tag Team Champions and NWA World Tag Team Champions. Together they have dominated tag team wrestling all over the planet and on April 4th they make a rare American appearance in ROH!

As mercenaries to Michael Elgin, KES have been tasked with one mission: destroy War Machine. This will be a HUGE test - literally and figuratively for Hanson and Rowe as they reestablish themselves as a tag team force. A win over KES would send a message not just to the other teams, but directly to Michael Elgin himself. If you thought the battle between Elgin and War Machine was over, think again!

Don't miss your chance to see ROH live! For tickets to be there in San Antonio on April 4th, click HERE!

Ring of Honor Presents:

The Conquest Tour '15

Saturday, April 4th, 2015  San Antonio Shrine Auditorium  901 North Loop 1604 West  San Antonio TX, 78232

ROH Stars Signed to Appear  - ROH World Champion Jay Briscoe  - ROH World TV Champion Jay Lethal w/ Truth Martini  - ROH World Tag Team Champions reDRagon (Kyle O'Reilly & Bobby Fish) - Mexican Legend Alberto El Patrón  - The Addiction (Frankie Kazarian & Christopher Daniels)  - 2015 Top Prospect Donovan Dijak  - Mark Briscoe  - "Unbreakable" Michael Elgin - “MR ROH” Roderick Strong  - Matt Sydal  - ACH  - Adam Page  - BJ Whitmer  - Moose w/ Veda Scott & Stokely Hathaway  - Caprice Coleman  - Cedric Alexander  - Plus More

How did y'all feel about the Jimmy/Jay title match? I didn't like it. The story was fun, but the in-ring let it down a little for me. But that might be Jimmy Jacobs in a nutshell.

No, this is Jimmy Jacobs in a nutshell: "Hey! I'm Jimmy Jacobs and I'm trapped in this nutshell ... somebody ... get me ... ahem, get me outta here ..."

Yeah, well, that played GREAT in Peoria!

• Like 7

Caught the new (I guess?) ROH at 4 in the morning Central just now and man, for a guy that big, Joe can MOVE. And that was not just a long match but a fast-paced and complex one* too. I haven't seen a ton of him over the years to be honest (some PWG, some TNA, and that's about it) but if anyone is going to complain about how he doesn't have it anymore I think they can shut it. You try and go out and do that at his weight/age and not have a coronary. 

Also, I love Cheeseburger, just because, and walked right back in from the head to see the human chair you guys were talking about which was funny. Dijak looks like a monster, and I have no idea why Diesel hasn't been sued yet. Corino needs to learn how to show emotion on a microphone after his kid has been Raven-ed too. 

*At the same time it was so fast that at times it seemed like putting on your stereo at random. Corino compared the start to UWFi after a series of straight punches and a big ass Samoan dude crushing someone backfirst in the corner and I just laughed. But it was still a superior feat of athleticism overall and something I sure enjoyed. 

So, I've been watching ROH for the past few weeks, and I need someone to enlighten me on J.Diesel (Jay Diesel?!).  What's the deal with him?  Is it a rib?  Did he win a contest to get on the show?  Like, he seems to be genuinely terrible from an acting or wrestling standpoint.  Is his dad rich?  He's boring, bland, and not even in *that* good of shape.  The announcers don't know what to say about him, witness them bringing up the fact about him being a golden gloves boxer several times every time he shows up.  Like, I seriously do not get it.

First time seeing Moose.  He's big.  He's got some charisma.  That said, I'm not sure he's even on Mojo Rawley's level yet so...  I like his valet/manager and the way she fist-pumps along to his theme song.

That Decade-Corino promo was really weird.  Like, I understand what a "young boy" is and it's place in Japanese wrestling culture.  But when you have a promo at 1am on darkly-lit wrestling show about making someone your "young boy", followed by his dad flipping out and trying to stop it, it takes on a completely different connotation.  I was waiting for BJ to get backstage only for Chris Hanson to be waiting there and saying "Take a seat, BJ."  Kevin Kelly's attempts at explaining it were pretty funny.

Joe-KOR was fun enough.  I thought Joe looked like he was in slightly better shape, but I didn't watch the last bit of TNA, either.  He seemed to be having lots of fun.  It will be interesting if in a year's time we're saying the same thing ("Joe looks to be in the best shape ever and super motivated") or if it'll be like TNA ("Well, he's really fat now but, you know, he's a wrestling podiatrist, I don't blame him for being unmotivated").

Truth Martini doing the prostate intro was the sleaziest thing I've ever seen. He had the gleam in his eye of a man who is all too familiar with his own prostate.

I can't wait for Dalton Castle to do the prostate intro with his boys.

• Like 2

Tommaso Ciampa posted on his Facebook that he's done with ROH.

I would be done, too.  He destroys his knees every five days in ROH.  He needs to go someplace where he can heal and work a lighter schedule.

I don't know if they just started it at Supercard of Honor on Friday or it has been going on for a while but Ring of Honor is now doing those pre show warnings/informations that the WWE does at house shows concerning video taping and stuff.  The difference is that the ROH one is so goofy it is awesome.  It is done by a guy that sounds like he was working on the morning zoo on some adult contemporary radio show as his primary job.   Then it is done in almost a complete mocking with running bad jokes throughout.    :lol:

Guest Edwin

Can't believe it's been 9 years since Jimmy Jacobs was involved in one of the greatest angles in ROH history:

Man I was a huge fan back then. I didn't stick around that much after AotF and after a couple of the PPV's.