DVDVR Message Board

2015 RING OF HONOR DISCUSSION THREAD

There are political reasons that match wasn't booked

Literally political.  AJ doesn't like Mexicans because they come over here illegally and take jobs from hard workin' 'muricans

The Gay Community also made it's way from the fruity countries like France and Spain to the US through where?  You guessed it....Mexico!!!!!  AJ still holds a grudge.  

• Like 2

Ciampa is injured. He was scheduled to wrestle AJ Styles tomorrow night, they replaced him with Mark Briscoe. So it's Mark Briscoe vs. AJ Styles tomorrow.

Also Samoa Joe's first opponents have been announced:

Samoa Joe vs. Kyle O'Reilly - 3/7

Samoa Joe vs. ACH - 3/13

Samoa Joe vs. Michael Elgin 3/14

Had a friend's birthday that I was a part of, so got to the show late.  Got in by the 3rd episode taping and the guy just let me in for free.  Can't beat watching AJ and Joe without having to spend a dime, though I did get a Joe shirt.  AJ/Mark Briscoe was fantastic.  Mark had to have been loving going back to a style before he became goofy.  It was very much a hard-hitting match that was a blast to watch live.  And Joe/O'reilly was excellent.  I was standing in front of the area where ROH talent goes to chill out, and they were all on the floor.  When Kyle came out I see 2/3 of the roster going to that area.  I liken it to the "TV monitor sellout" that happens for big WWE matches.  It was cool how I'd talk to Jay Briscoe for a minute and once the match starts we're all just fans watching Joe's return match.  I am very happy to say that we very much got ROH Joe, and he looked tremendous.  It was like doing a time warp to ten years ago and it ruled in every way.  I'm so happy I went, and I'm hoping he comes back when they're back in July.

Normally they do an after party at a nearby bar.  I drive there and turns out it wasn't happening there.  I head back to the arena to find out where the after party is and there wasn't one for tonight.  But when I get there I see Joe and AJ coming out.  They took pictures with a couple families but were trying to just leave.  It was pretty cool to say hi to both of them despite them being in a hurry.  Really glad I went back to see what was going on.

So yeah, from what I saw ROH ruled.  You're all going to adore AJ/Mark and Joe/Kyle.

• Like 4

This show really exposed how long ago their TV tapings are in that you have RedDragons with the IWGP Jr Tag Title even though they lost it about 3 weeks ago and even announced on PPV pre-show that they did.  Plus if people who were at the tapings could figure it out they spoiled that Lethal and RedDragon weren't losing the belts at the PPV

I had no idea ROH was doing a joint show with NJPW at the ECW Arena. It's already sold out, but the demand was so high, they added a second show at the ECW arena. Tickets are on sale tomorrow. I'm tempted to go since War of the Worlds in NYC was so great. But this is on a Tuesday. Tough call.

I've decided that I don't like Dijak's finisher.  Or more accurately, I don't like the way he does it.  He looks like he's about to lose his balance.

Yeah I don't like the finisher either it's one of those finishers you look at and go fuck that I'm not taking it.

I really have no idea how to feel about reDRagon. They are presented as this super team, and while both guys are clearly super athletic and talented, there is just something about their style that doesn't connect with me. Whereas the Young Bucks really incorporate their flashy indy movesets as an important part of their obnoxious heelish characters, I just don't get much personality from reDRagon. But perhaps that is an unfair comparison.

This whole red mask thing is weird. So is the House of Truth having two guys named Jay.

I love the build to this Corino/Whitmer program, and I guess it's officially in swing. I'm very curious how everything with Colby will shake out and I have been an unashamed Corino mark since his ECW title run.

reDRagon is the perfect example of a team that is there in the ring, but all other aspects of their gimmick is just a big 'meh'. I remember watching an Evolve match a long time ago where Bobby Fish (relatively still new on the scene) was facing off against someone and the crowd was giving Fish shit for being boring and having no personality. He is definitely above where he was in that regard, but it all comes off as a forced act. Like "Okay guys time to get my gimmick together for tonight!" vs. just showing up. A good gimmick makes you believe that the person playing the gimmick is ACTUAL like that (in some way) in real life regardless of how ridiculous the gimmick is. The Ultimate Warrior, The Undertaker, and Goldust are all over-the-top and hammy at times- but when they were on screen people believed.

reDRagon are serviceable in the ring (i.e. they are not going to kill anyone), but I find the majority of their matches a chore to get through.

I love the build to this Corino/Whitmer program, and I guess it's officially in swing. I'm very curious how everything with Colby will shake out and I have been an unashamed Corino mark since his ECW title run.

It's your call if you want to see spoilers from the Baltimore tapings.  But let's just say that things get very interesting in the Corino/Whitmer feud.

• Like 1

I really think Bobby Fish has this amazing obnoxious heel charisma that separates himself from a lot of guys, and he's in a great situation with O'Reilly where he gets to be the charismatic one while O'Reilly holds down the in-ring aspect. I think they're perfectly fine as a team as teams go - they've got their double team moves down, etc. They're no worse than any other team around these days, and that works whether you wanna judge that as them actually being a good team or not exactly having a lot of other really good teams to judge them against.

Hell, the Young Bucks are good in their own way - they're like a Hardy Boys tribute act turned up to 20 with a huge amount of self-awareness about it. Everybody's in on the joke. They're flippy as fuck, but that kind of stuff can be entertaining in small doses.

Holy fuck, does that ROH Hotline BS need to stop.

God Yes! Also Corino needs to stop going insane for every damn superkick or whitmer needs to exploder Corino off the ring apron thru a table as soon as possible. On another note when did Corino start being called King Corino in the intro?

I tried it out of curiosity.  Had to mute it as it thought I said something and would say it's not a valid entry.  You choose an option, get the answer, and then get a couple ads.  Follow that with promoting a show, then more ads.  Yeah, this hotline is garbage, and with no Mean Gene to promote it it's total garbage.

That said, this is the best the William J. Myers Pavillion has looked on TV.  The video tron is a very welcome addition, and it was a fun show.  Can't wait for episodes 3 and 4 from there.

The concept of a hotline in 2015 is amazingly stupid given how much knowledge we know about wrestling and the internet.  So you have to waste the stuff on things like who's dad was an Elvis impersonator.  Something that nobody except maybe an indy wrestler in Memphis would care about.  

Apparently there is a story that Jimmy Jacobs will join the WWE as a creative writer for the company.  Not sure if it is a done deal but good for him and a writer is the perfect job for him.   Nobody has done more in this business with less than Jimmy.   With his size his career was pretty much dead in Ring of Honor.  Then he came up/took part in some of the best angles in the company with Lacey and Age of the Fall and SCUM.   His feud with BJ Whitmer is one of the most underrated feuds in ROH history

One of the first images I have in my head when I think of Jimmy Jacobs is his feverishly writing in a notebook, presumably bad Lacey-related poetry, as they showed that clip all the time on ROH Videos or whatever A LOT back in the day. So this is perfect.