DVDVR Message Board

Raw 12-22-14 - Christmas Show

MGFanJay

Five years from now, we'll be looking back at Bray Wyatt the same way we look at Mr. Kennedy. "Man, I can't believe we used to like that guy. What the fuck were we thinking?"

To be fair, everyone has kind of already come to that conclusion with his promos. And matches. At least he's still got the cell phone light intro.

Five years from now, we'll be looking back at Bray Wyatt the same way we look at Mr. Kennedy. "Man, I can't believe we used to like that guy. What the fuck were we thinking?"

To be fair, everyone has kind of already come to that conclusion with his promos. And matches. At least he's still got the cell phone light intro.

And when that goes, he can shave his beard and join the Bo Dallas cult.

HE CALLS THEM HIS FIREFLIES~!

• Like 1

Niners Fan in CT, on 22 Dec 2014 - 11:47 PM, said:

As for Dean Ambrose..  I love Dean Ambrose but when do we start discussing how he really only has a couple good matches since he's gone solo and they are with Rollins who has good matches with everyone?  Again, I love Ambrose but this idea that he's being dragged down in-ring by Bray and others..  Point to the matches. He does a lot of things well. I love all the small things Dean does in the ring, I love his chaotic style.. but when I think of memorable matches I'm not remembering many since he's gone solo.

Dean had good matches with Sheamus, Barrett, Bray, Del Rio, Cesaro, Orton, and probably a bunch more I'm forgetting before he started working a Sandman tribute gimmick. Ambrose had a much better first few months as a solo act than Rollins.

Was there a match on this show that wasn't a rematch? I guess Fandango/Swagger and the 6 divas tag. It's getting ridiculous that they have so many guys on the roster but have the same matches every week. I don't think I can watch another Usos/Miz/dow or Gold/Star dust vs Matadors or New Day match again.

It was really telling that Nattie and Paige were more over than Bray, Dean or Reigns tonight.

• Like 1

HE CALLS THEM HIS FIREFLIES~!

You know what annoyed me, Lawler acting clueless when they said that and he was like he had never seen the crowd do the cellphone bit before. "You mean to tell me all these people in the arena are Bray Wyatt fans" and Cole had to cover by saying they have been doing that for a while now.

Also earlier in the night, Lawler asked what a Michinoku driver was after Cole called it that and he was like Where did Harper learn that move and Cole was like uhh hes used it a bunch of times. I know Lawler doesnt give a shit 98% of the time,but tonight he was really out of place.

I must be crazy because I thought this was a totally entertaining show with a pretty hot crowd.  

-Crowd was super into the Ho-Ho Hogan segment.  I thought it would have been a little more clever if there was something on the line for the match (Cena's title shot, for instance) but it was an entertaining match.  Rollins is actually really quickly getting super-good.  I never thought his offence would translate as a heel.

-Swagger-Fandango was quick with a silly finish.  Not sure what Fandango is being built up for, maybe a WM rematch with Jericho?!

-Rose-Truth was great with Rose busting out a hybrid of Alex Wright and Carlton and the quick loss followed by the pretty nasty beatdown of the bunny.

-Reigns-Show was so-so.  The booking was odd, but I disagree that Reigns wasn't over.  I mean, there was a solid group of noisy smarky fans, but Reigns' big spots got huge pops.

-Brie-Natalya was fine.  The camera work continues to be an issue, though, as Natalya took off Tyson's hat and I think we were supposed to see it, but you couldn't tell what was happening as they were focusing on Nikki on the floor.

-Rhodes-Matadores was short.  I hope they're not booking a break-up (Again) already.

-Harper-Ziggler was awesome.  Ziggler took a shit-kicking here.  Harper's a guy who already deserves more time, more shine.  He just does everything perfectly well.  I'm not sure he's going to excel on his own.  I'd like to see him as Rollins' dirty bodyguard, back-up until he turns on him.  I loved the missed discus clothesline, super-kick that Harper shrugs off back into the discus clothesline spot.  That was great.

-I skipped most of the Piper's Pit.  Well, pretty much all of it.  I'm guessing it went LANA: "Russia is superior" PIPER: "America, love it or leave it" RUSEV: "Crush" PIPER: "Here's Ryback!" Am I wrong?

-Santa Divas Match was pretty entertaining.  I'll be honest, I was constantly losing track of who everyone was (save for Paige) considering their Christmas outfits and at one point I went "Wow! That was a really great move by Cameron!" then I realized that it was not Cameron, but Naomi, so Cameron is still pretty worthless, save for being hot.  It seems like right now they could run three divas angles and they'd all be reasonably over (Bellas vs Natalya; the last temptation of Naomi and you could wedge Paige in there as the diva who keeps taking advantage of the distractions; and maybe something with Emma (who looked smoooookin' hot tonight) and Summer Rae making fun of her).  But they can't seem to maintain focus on more than the Divas title feud/Bellas when it comes to booking the division.  I mean, would anyone have really been upset tonight if they'd cut the Swagger-Fandangoooo match, put Paige against Naomi, then kept this match and thrown in Layla and Nikki?

-Miz-Uso was fine with Sandow stealing the show.  Why they don't keep a cameraman near him to catch everything he does is beyond me.  You have to give credit to his opponents for playing the thing perfectly, like one point tonight he was flopping around outside the ring and the other Uso was just staring at him in disbelief.  In all honesty, I bet Sandow is looking forward to this storyline being over, because that act looks EXHAUSTING.

-I loved Wyatt-Ambrose.  I loved the callback to the exploding TV from earlier with Dean putting it back in the box.  I loved the teased spots with the singapore cane (How the announcers kept botching the term Singapore Candy Cane was beyond me, though.  I heard "Singapore Cane, candy...kendo candy stick...candy kendo...") in the corner playing into the ending.  The crowd chanting "One more tree!" and Bray obliging (Though that should have been Bray ignoring it and Dean reversing it).  I thought the whole thing was totally entertaining and then Ambrose lost the match but got his shine back by putting Bray through the table, losing the battle but winning the war.  I don't really understand the "Bray is a terrible wrestler" narrative: he's got a weird, fun offence; his selling is all awkward and good; and he's got fun signature spots that he can work into the match in unexpected ways (Like the exorcist walk tonight which he used to pop the crowd, then pulled himself up to his feet and countered a move, thus getting away from the Crabwalk-that-scares-his-opponent spot everyone was complaining about earlier this year.

So, yeah, fun show, I thought.  I DVRed most of it, though, you guys aren't still seriously watching this live, are you?!

Also earlier in the night, Lawler asked what a Michinoku driver was after Cole called it that and he was like Where did Harper learn that move and Cole was like uhh hes used it a bunch of times. I know Lawler doesnt give a shit 98% of the time,but tonight he was really out of place.

Not even the worst Lawler moment of the night.  That would be either A. The part where he said "Do you guys remember Xanta Claus?" and when JBL said "Why would you bring that up?", he said it was because it reminded him of Paige's outfit which was particularly scarring to try to imagine Ballz Mahoney in Paige's wrestling gear. Or B. The part where he had this exchange

-"Going back to the DVD, JBL, are giants afraid of other giants?"

-"*Beat* What does that mean?" 

-"I don't know."
-"Well there must be a joke there..."
-"That's what's written down...

at which point Cole begins to loudly call the match to gloss over whatever the hell was going on there.

• Like 2

Best Raw in weeks. Dolph/Harper was great, as was Dolph's post-match. It almost looks like they're making the IC title mean something again.

Rollins/Cena was also very solid.

Dean/Bray was a fun gimmick match. That shit was a lot of fun. Nobody is going to have a "good" garbage match without blood, but it did what it needed to. Oh, also, I guess you guys' DVRs cut off before Bray went through the table. Or you were already sprinting to your computers to whine.

Only really bad thing about this show was that it was only decent because it was a throwaway Christmas show. Oh and the Minnie crowd was total d-bags.

• Like 1

-I skipped most of the Piper's Pit.  Well, pretty much all of it.  I'm guessing it went LANA: "Russia is superior" PIPER: "America, love it or leave it" RUSEV: "Crush" PIPER: "Here's Ryback!" Am I wrong?

Pretty much spot on

I only gave the main event half my attention but it seemed like another disjointed mess that went on way too long where Dean beats up Bray for 80% of the match. I love Bray's character, I love his mic work and understand it's not for everybody, and I recognize that he has a lot of room for improvement in the ring but he's only 27 and been wrestling for less than five years. He's been waning ever since the Cena feud (which he should have been booked stronger in) and while it's not all the writers' and Vince's fault, he's been booked like dog shit time and time again. Why are so many so quick to write this guy off like he's done? Same with Dean. They've had a shitty feud and been booked poorly for a while now but that doesn't mean neither guy is incapable of rebounding and winning back hearts and minds in an instant. They both have fascinating characters that need to be given the right material, which flat out is not happening at the moment. Maybe they need to do a better job of protecting themselves and their characters with Vince/the writers, but I'm not going to pretend to know how the backstage politics work in WWE. I just feel that both of those guys can draw a shit tonne of money and be heck of entertaining if handled properly.

• Like 5

I was afraid the first match of the night would set the tone for the rest of the evening, but luckily it did turn around. Decent Raw. Lack of Brock was disappointing. 

Guess they try to keep Bray strong for Taker this year. Luckily Ambrose did get the upper hand and both looked just fine at the end of this all. I honestly do not see the problem with everyone in this thread.

Anyone else notice that this is two weeks in a row where we've had Rusev and Lana's anti-American act bounce off of a Canadian?

Swear to fuck if it weren't for NXT, I'd cancel the Network today.

NXT is still being put up on Hulu

Lack of Brock was disappointing. 

I understand he's on an appearance based pay, but he honestly lives 90 minutes away from Target Center.  He could leave home at 4:30 and be home by 1 am.  Yeah, he could have been there very easily, but, no.

I caught the Reigns prmo right as he was entering, and the smarmy, trying to be funny face guy schtick does NOT work for him.  Just be a badass, don't pander, Roman.