DVDVR Message Board

NJPW World Has Arrived

KidKash202

I'm trying to change my payment information and it's not letting me.  I can't even change the credit card number or do much else.  It looks like the only thing I can type in is the CV number on the back of the old card.  I might have that laying around, but if not then I might as well create another account.  Not sure if I'll have any luck contacting their site support.

Last I heard about the site is it's not getting nearly as many people as they hoped, especially in non-Japan markets.  If they're going to have English commentary for some shows, why not work with a company that can make a fully-English site?

• Like 1

I have heard on Twitter that people are just making new accounts because changing the credit card is either impossible or way too much work.

Yea, I mean it has been mentioned, even though Stardom World isn't showing live events, their service is so much more convenient for English fans to use and understand. If they are disappointed at their numbers, the fact it is not user-friendly is probably one key reason as I see Meltzer occasionally having to answer questions for people that want to sign up but can't figure it out. It wouldn't cost that much to hire someone to assist with such things, I assume they are trying to spend as little as possible because there isn't a reason a company that big can't have a better service. 

I understood it at first, it was a new service starting from scratch and using their own player/website does take more work, but its been a year and a half, no reason not to make more improvements by now.

I thought the initial archives are based on their old Moero series of DVDs that they pretty much stopped once NJPW World came into existence.

New Japan has NJPW World set up for payment the way lots of Japan-only business do it: either credit card or via your mobile phone company but credit cards are still not quite as ubiquitous in Japan as they are elsewhere so service on that end is not great (whereas the mobile phone companies are a bit more helpful).  Also not widely used - Paypal which makes sense since you need a credit card to set up an account. That there are all sorts of e-money options in Japan doesn't help.

• 2 months later...

Kind of surprised they still aren't on Roku.  When I can spend $10 a month and get highspotsondemand  with over 1000 shows I will do that anytime over new japan world.   Not to say I wouldn't still subscribe if and when they do get a Roku channel.  It's just sad that AIW, AAW, CZW, Chikara, and Progress can all have channels but New Japan doesn't

8 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Somewhat disappointed with the library's lack of depth. There are lots of blanks that need to be filled.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.  It isn't bad enough for me to cancel my subscription, but there are plenty of pretty highly touted matches not on New Japan World.

Virtually nothing from the spring and fall Dome Shows from the early 2000s.Off the top of my head I remember seeing the Muto/Hase vs Nagata/Akiyama from the 01 October Dome Show, the Chono/Misawa match on NJW and not much else.

• 6 months later...

I signed up for NJPW World specifically for Wrestle Kingdom, but have been going back and watching highly regarded stuff I'd never seen before. I'm a NJPW novice of sorts; I'd seen some of the more legendary stuff, like Tiger Mask vs. Dynamite, Liger vs. Owen and Benoit, Muta vs. Hase and Muta vs. Liger. Still, I'm fresh enough that I have a ton to binge on without the holes in the library really impacting my experience. 

As someone who was previously watching NJPW on ASX, it's a damn revelation to no longer have Jim Ross on these calls. The UK Tournament proved Michael Cole is infinitely better without Vince screaming in his ear; J.R. was evidently the polar opposite. I'd rather hear commentary in a language I don't understand than J.R. indulging every one of his bad commentary habits. 

Jim Ross has been mailing it in since Austin's big run in WWF. I was listening to his early 2000s work for a few minutes the other day and you could tell he was forcing it. Listen to him call NWA '89, Mid-South, WCW or WWF in the Attitude Era and it's just a completely different feeling.

Also, I'm guessing you've already seen this, but Mr. Lariato has a tremendous guide for World.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Jim Ross has been mailing it in since Austin's big run in WWF. I was listening to his early 2000s work for a few minutes the other day and you could tell he was forcing it. Listen to him call NWA '89, Mid-South, WCW or WWF in the Attitude Era and it's just a completely different feeling.

Also, I'm guessing you've already seen this, but Mr. Lariato has a tremendous guide for World.

Oh, I actually hadn't seen that. Thank you! I was using the Observer's rankings of 4-to-5 star matches as my guide. This looks much better. 

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of shows coming up! (List from WO.com)

The ROH shows on 2/26 and 2/27 at Korakuen Hall will be airing live with both English and Japanese commentary

New Japan World also announced this schedule for live broadcasts for March:

3/1 at Korakuen Hall

3/6 at Tokyo Ota Ward Gym (English & Japanese commentary) for the 45th anniversary show

3/7 at Korakuen Hall

3/11 in Nagoya at Aiichi Gym (major show with New Japan Cup matches)

3/12 in Amagasaki

3/19 in Hamamatsu

3/20 in Niigata (New Japan Cup finals, winner to get IWGP title shot, English & Japanese commentary)

3/26 at Korakuen Hall

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

If I was planning to go back and watch a historical year (or at least parts of it), what are considered some of the better years of the promotion? I'm looking pre-2010, no particular issues with how far it goes back either.

Based on the '80s set voting, '86-'89 are strongest. Start there. You've got UWF vs. NJPW and later on the Vader invasion and Hash breaking out, plus Fujiwara being amazing no matter what he's doing, so it's bedrock necessary to watch the key matches from those years. Here are the top 50 voted on for the project if you want specific home runs: 

Spoiler
1.) 5-on-5 Gauntlet Challenge (4/19/84) - 7807 points
2.) Andre the Giant vs. Stan Hansen (9/23/81) - 7726 points
3.) Tatsumi Fujinami, Keiichi Yamada, Shiro Koshinaka, Yoshiaki Fujiwara & Kengo Kimura vs. Hiro Saito, Kuniaki Kobayashi, Super Strong Machine, Masa Saito & Riki Choshu (9/12/88) - 7535 points
4.) Antonio Inoki, Tatsumi Fujinami, Kengo Kimura, Umanosuke Ueda & Kantaro Hoshino vs. Akira Maeda, Yoshiaki Fujiwara, Osamu Kido, Nobuhiko Takada & Kazuo Yamazaki (3/26/86) - 7531 points
5.) Riki Choshu vs. Yoshiaki Fujiwara (6/9/87) - 7224 points
6.) Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Akira Maeda (6/12/86) - 6914 points
7.) Jushin Liger vs. Naoki Sano (8/10/89) - 6867 points
8.) 5-on-5 Challenge (5/1/86) - 6862 points
9.) Andre the Giant vs. Killer Khan (4/1/82) - 6824 points
10.) Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Riki Choshu (4/3/83) - 6659 points

11.) Inoki/Fujiwara/Sakaguchi/Hoshino/Mutoh vs. Fujinami/Choshu/Maeda/Kimura/Super Strong Machine (8/19/87) - 6591 points
12.) Riki Choshu & Masa Saito vs. George Takano & Super Strong Machine (3/16/89) - 6516 points
13.) Antonio Inoki vs. Yoshiaki Fujiwara (2/6/86) - 6510 points
14.) Tatsumi Fujinami, Nobuhiko Takada, Riki Choshu, Akira Maeda & Super Strong Machine vs. Antonio Inoki, Dick Murdoch, Yoshiaki Fujiwara, Masa Saito & Seiji Sakaguchi (9/17/87) - 6399 points
15.) Shinya Hashimoto vs. Vader (4/24/89) - 6370 points
16.) Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Riki Choshu (8/4/83) - 6352 points
17.) Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Riki Choshu (4/21/83) - 6316 points
18.) Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Kengo Kimura (1/2/87) - 6283 points
19.) Riki Choshu vs. Big Van Vader (6/27/89) - 6154 points
20.) Tatsumi Fujinami & Antonio Inoki vs. Dick Murdoch & Adrian Adonis (12/7/84) - 6117 points
21.) Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Riki Choshu (7/7/83) - 6083 points
22.) Antonio Inoki vs. Masa Saito (4/27/87) - 6025 points
23.) Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Dynamite Kid (2/5/80) - 5991 points
24.) Akira Maeda vs. Yoshiaki Fujiwara (2/5/86) - 5939 points
25.) Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Vader (4/24/89) - 5839 points

26.) Antonio Inoki vs. Dick Murdoch (6/19/86) - 5734 points
27.) Shinya Hashimoto vs. Victor Zangiev (4/24/89) - 5732 points
28.) Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Kengo Kimura (9/25/80) - 5729 points
29.) Akira Maeda vs. Yoshiaki Fujiwara (1/10/86) - 5686 points
30.) Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Riki Choshu (6/24/88) - 5537 points
31.) Nobuhiko Takada & Akira Maeda vs. Yoshiaki Fujiwara & Kazuo Yamazaki (5/25/87) - 5421 points
32.) Antonio Inoki vs. Yoshiaki Fujiwara (6/12/86) - 5388 points
33.) Antonio Inoki, Riki Choshu & Kantaro Hoshino vs. Scott Hall, Bob Orton & Dick Murdoch (11/17/88) - 5281 points
34.) Riki Choshu & Takayuki Iizuka vs. Super Strong Machine & George Takano (7/13/89) - 5211 points
35.) Antonio Inoki vs. Vader (7/29/88) - 5204 points
36.) Riki Choshu vs. Shinya Hashimoto (12/7/89) - 5188 points
37.) Antonio Inoki vs. Stan Hansen (4/3/80) - 5151 points
38.) Nobuhiko Takada vs. Hiro Hase (3/11/88) - 5125 points
39.) Jushin Liger & Akira Nogami vs. Kantaro Hoshino & Naoki Sano (8/8/89) - 5110 points
40.) Antonio Inoki vs. Riki Choshu (2/22/89) - 5091 points
41.) Akira Maeda vs. Yoshiaki Fujiwara (8/29/87) - 5029 points
42.) Antonio Inoki vs. Stan Hansen (9/11/80) - 4940 points
43.) Tatsumi Fujinami, Akira Maeda & Kengo Kimura vs. Riki Choshu, Yoshiaki Yatsu & Animal Hamaguchi (12/8/83) - 4927 points
44.) Jushin Liger vs. Naoki Sano (7/13/89) - 4903 points
45.) Tatsumi Fujinami & Kengo Kimura vs. Antonio Inoki & Seiji Sakaguchi (12/12/85) - 4892 points
46.) Akira Maeda & Nobuhiko Takada vs. Yoshiaki Fujiwara & Kazuo Yamazaki (9/1/87) - 4875 points
47.) Kengo Kimura vs. Masa Saito (NJ TV 6/10/87) - 4837 points
48.) Yoshiaki Fujiwara & Antonio Inoki vs. Akira Maeda & Tatsumi Fujinami (9/7/87) - 4822 points
49.) Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Riki Choshu (5/27/88) - 4739 points
50.) Akira Nogami, Tatsutoshi Goto, Keiichi Yamada, Kantaro Hoshino & Shiro Koshinaka vs. Kuniaki Kobayashi, Hiroshi Hase, Hiro Saito, Norio Honaga & Kensuke Sasaki (4/27/88) - 4689 points

I have no earthly clue how Andre/Hansen isn't #1 but that's life. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...