DVDVR Message Board

Raw 11-24-14

MGFanJay

Can someone please tell me why every RAW, SmackDown, Main Event, NXT, etc. review (and TNA) has a gratuitous shot of the women while they're wrestling? :mellow:

I'm going to start doing my own recaps with junk and ass shots of the male talent.

Go for it. I'm sure there are at least a few people that will read your recaps and appreciate that part of them. 

I will never understand the Punk backlash. The guy was in so many great matches and was in a ton of great feuds. His last really great feud was the stuff against Heyman. That wasn't really shoot stuff and more of a father/son psychodrama. It was built around their relationship ("I'm a Paul Heyman guy") but was a father figure manager type in Heyman feeling betrayed that his renegade son left the fold. The SummerSlam match against Lesnar was terrific.

And what's wrong with shoot stuff as long as it's delivered well? Break down the original Pipebomb. The promo was essentially: I'm better than you, John Cena. However, the goofs who run this place (HHH, Vince, Steph) don't know how good I am so I don't get that chance. It also introduced Big Johnny as an on-scrren character. And there were a few add-ons to get some more interest like the Colt Cabana "breaking the fourth wall" bit and the "they cut my mic off" bit at the end. But that promo made CM Punk into a really big name and sold a lot of tickets/PPVs, which is the whole point.

• Like 4

Can someone please tell me why every RAW, SmackDown, Main Event, NXT, etc. review (and TNA) has a gratuitous shot of the women while they're wrestling? :mellow:

Because nobody's told MGFanJay not to do it, so he hasn't stopped.

What constitutes "gratuity", here? I mean, this is the only shot that he posted to DVDR:

de27cc366532845.jpg

Does that really seem gratuitous? Yes, ok, there's AJ's ass, but she's wrestling, not intentionally displaying said ass for the camera.

1863b4366534464.jpg

Look, it's Tyson's ass! Gratuitous!

C'mon.

• Like 1

What constitutes "gratuity", here? I mean, this is the only shot that he posted to DVDR:

de27cc366532845.jpg

Does that really seem gratuitous? Yes, ok, there's AJ's ass, but she's wrestling, not intentionally displaying said ass for the camera.

1863b4366534464.jpg

C'mon.

Incoming!

aewCbzF.gif

I will never understand the Punk backlash. The guy was in so many great matches and was in a ton of great feuds. His last really great feud was the stuff against Heyman. That wasn't really shoot stuff and more of a father/son psychodrama. It was built around their relationship ("I'm a Paul Heyman guy") but was a father figure manager type in Heyman feeling betrayed that his renegade son left the fold. The SummerSlam match against Lesnar was terrific.

And what's wrong with shoot stuff as long as it's delivered well? Break down the original Pipebomb. The promo was essentially: I'm better than you, John Cena. However, the goofs who run this place (HHH, Vince, Steph) don't know how good I am so I don't get that chance. It also introduced Big Johnny as an on-scrren character. And there were a few add-ons to get some more interest like the Colt Cabana "breaking the fourth wall" bit and the "they cut my mic off" bit at the end. But that promo made CM Punk into a really big name and sold a lot of tickets/PPVs, which is the whole point.

Because Punk is a big fat stupidface and his mom dresses him funny.

And his top rope elbow sucks.  

I think that covers all of it.

Setting aside the fact that Punk really didn't sell a whole lot of tickets or PPVs, the pipebomb promo wasn't really all that shooty. If you go back and watch it, he didn't actually say anything that broke kayfabe. That kind of shoot stuff is fine. The kind that tries to convince you that it's real by acknowledging that everything else is fake is what's terrible. Like "This is Phil Brooks talking to Paul Levesque." And Dean Ambrose saying that the security guards were Rosebuds the previous week. That shit sucked.

I have mixed thoughts on Punk. Sometimes the shooty stuff was just shooty for its own sake (PAUL AND PHIL! OMG!), while the pipebomb was a fantastic promo that set him up as a premiere guy (which WWE would fuck up horrendously within weeks after getting it so right at MitB). He had a large number of good-to-great matches but a lot of his offense looks like dog shit because he's lifting moves from Japanese workers who deliver it 100x more crisply than he does because he's not a great natural athlete relatively speaking. My biggest complaint though is that he more or less mailed it in for a good deal of 2013. While Greggulator loved the Heyman feud, I thought it was a steaming pile of shit that was only saved due to some of Heyman's finest work. It buried DA BIG GUY so bad that he's just now recovering and is on thin ice from ending up back in the pile of anonymous midcard guys that job two or three times a week to the new hotness. It was incredibly one-sided, got nobody over and I would argue Punk was worse off after coming out of that feud than going into it. The half-assed John Cena superman gimmick was so ill suited for Punk that it came off cliched and I think damaged his persona. He's not The Guy. He's the anti-Guy.

Also, while the Brock match was great fun and all, there was some seriously shoddy psychology going on as Brock bounced around for Punk way too much and was too dependable on Heyman. I know the Heyman stuff fit into the bigger picture feud between Paul E and Punk but it didn't fit the structure of a Burock Leszzzznur match.

I would like to see him return but only if his heart is in it, which it clearly wasn't the last year or so of his time in WWE.  And, if WWE creative can muster something of actual interest for him to do.

Setting aside the fact that Punk really didn't sell a whole lot of tickets or PPVs, the pipebomb promo wasn't really all that shooty. If you go back and watch it, he didn't actually say anything that broke kayfabe. That kind of shoot stuff is fine. The kind that tries to convince you that it's real by acknowledging that everything else is fake is what's terrible. Like "This is Phil Brooks talking to Paul Levesque." And Dean Ambrose saying that the security guards were Rosebuds the previous week. That shit sucked.

So Punk and Sting never sold tickets?

They really need to get the belt on Cesaro so he can sell out stadiums.

Most of his fans are massive shitbags, IMO.

• Like 3

What made Punk so insufferable at times is he was essentially saying to the audience, "I'm the best wrestler on the roster and the only reason I'm not the champ is because of politics and because some boneheaded writers put someone less talented over me." There's nothing wrong with complaining about not getting opportunities, but when you are insinuating that the writers are making you lose to lesser talents, it comes off bad. 

On Monday night, AJ managed to hit that exact same note. She was putting down the Bellas because they went over her and are romantically linked to two main eventers.  

• Like 1

Yeah. I don't get the "Rusev is a face" thing. He doesn't cheat and he's not cowardly.

He did opt for the Pledge(even if he didn't go through with it) rather than the battle royal...

So shouldn't Rusev be stripped of the title now or at least put in the battle royal?

I didn't think it was that bad.  It set the road to TLC and at the end the faces found out that everything was not great and there were clouds on the horizon.

It was not edge of the seat television but it worked for me in a few ways.

If that RAW was a comic book it would be the throwaway issue after the heroes defeat a bunch of villains and you learn at the end of the issue about the next threat on the horizon.

• Like 1

Yeah. I don't get the "Rusev is a face" thing. He doesn't cheat and he's not cowardly.

He did opt for the Pledge(even if he didn't go through with it) rather than the battle royal...

So shouldn't Rusev be stripped of the title now or at least put in the battle royal?

To be continued...

The battle royal happened/will happen on Smackdown.

Most of his fans are massive shitbags, IMO.

Hey, hey, I may be a CM Punk fan and ugly and hate-filled, but I... um, what was the fourth thing you said?

• Like 2

de27cc366532845.jpg

1863b4366534464.jpg

C'mon.

Okay, this one time there was one picture. If this was a TNA recap thread, all of the pictures would be that way. But I guess we care more about women vs. men matches than undermining their ability in the ring and just posting tit and ass shots. I finally get it~!