DVDVR Message Board

Raw 11-24-14

MGFanJay

I think that the AJ thing is more a case of the writers not giving a damn about 75% of the roster. It's hard to tell who is heel and who is face when the writers probably don't care.

"I dunno make them dress like each other or something. I have to take my kid to Big Hero 6 for the 8th time."

I can see people not liking the character in general, its more the 'she used the word skank so she's a heel' line of thinking that is weird.  I mean I'm a nice person in general, but if a girlfriend cheated on me and I called her a "bitch" that doesn't suddenly make me a heel.  Otherwise I think we are all heels and that's depressing.

• Like 1

They don't seem to know what to do with AJ.  I follow her on twitter and her feed is an endless stream of kids (and a few really troublesome grown men) dressing like her and proclaiming her to be their hero forevers and evers. 

I don't see why they can't turn that into a little mini girl Cena thing and just make her an all-heart babyface empowerment annoying always wins t-shirt selling machine.

Trying to make her CM Punkette is playing to the wrong demographic.

• Like 1

They don't seem to know what to do with AJ. I follow her on twitter and her feed is an endless stream of kids (and a few really troublesome grown men) dressing like her and proclaiming her to be their hero forevers and evers.

I don't see why they can't turn that into a little mini girl Cena thing and just make her an all-heart babyface empowerment annoying always wins t-shirt selling machine.

Someone introduce these younger girls to Bayley.

They don't seem to know what to do with AJ.  I follow her on twitter and her feed is an endless stream of kids (and a few really troublesome grown men) dressing like her and proclaiming her to be their hero forevers and evers. 

Not every girl dresses like Bayley and appeals to the Nickelodeon demo.

AJ appeals more to the MTV/reality TV demographic.

Changing her would push her towards another demographic that is different than her own.  It gets down to marketing.

Guys are easy to market to, women are very fickle.  

Sgt. Slaughter looks like a turtle.  And why did Swagger make the save?  

In storyline: Rusev was threatening a patriotic wrestling legend and Swagger is a REAL AMERICAN AMERICAN MAGGLE!!

In real life: Because feuding with Rusev was the most over he's ever been and they're trying to re-capture that?

What I find so interesting about Punk is that like Benoit before him, Punk has successfully conned an entire generation into being his bullshit. WWE booked him as a rebel and people actually believe him to be WWE's Che' Guevara. I can see the appeal of Punk. So I am not trying to debate that, but what I am curious about is the cosplay of Punk with no credentials to back it up. As corny as it sounds Punk had indy-cred with tons of good-great matches in ROH and IWA. The same cannot be said for AJ. AJ comes off like a mark (which is fine) who thinks that mimicking Punk will be enough to give her 'edge' without understanding WHY Punk was able to say/do what he did and why it worked.

I've said for years that AJ is annoying and I don't know if WWE is going to do the right thing and fire her, but if they are going to keep her around- they need to sit her down and let her know that she is no where near Punk and should stop doing all the bad parts of his gimmick without any of the charm. So if she is going to stick around, what should she do? A sporty-geek chic gimmick is the way to go. A repeatable girl that guys love and women wouldn't mind hanging out with as she is just fun. Let the other Divas worry about who is the sexiest and who gets to be in Maxim magazine. AJ should be kept away from all of that and kept as far away from Total Divas as possible.

There is nothing WWE/AJ can do to make me like her. Nothing. However, there is an obvious gap within the Divas division that needs to be filled. Naomi is likeable  by both males and females, but WWE is not all in on her as they are (for some reason) with AJ. So at least make AJ likeable.

• Like 1

What I find so interesting about Punk is that like Benoit before him, Punk has successfully conned an entire generation into being his bullshit. WWE booked him as a rebel and people actually believe him to be WWE's Che' Guevara. I can see the appeal of Punk. So I am not trying to debate that, but what I am curious about is the cosplay of Punk with no credentials to back it up. As corny as it sounds Punk had indy-cred with tons of good-great matches in ROH and IWA. The same cannot be said for AJ. AJ comes off like a mark (which is fine) who thinks that mimicking Punk will be enough to give her 'edge' without understanding WHY Punk was able to say/do what he did and why it worked.

I've said for years that AJ is annoying and I don't know if WWE is going to do the right thing and fire her, but if they are going to keep her around- they need to sit her down and let her know that she is no where near Punk and should stop doing all the bad parts of his gimmick without any of the charm. So if she is going to stick around, what should she do? A sporty-geek chic gimmick is the way to go. A repeatable girl that guys love and women wouldn't mind hanging out with as she is just fun. Let the other Divas worry about who is the sexiest and who gets to be in Maxim magazine. AJ should be kept away from all of that and kept as far away from Total Divas as possible.

There is nothing WWE/AJ can do to make me like her. Nothing. However, there is an obvious gap within the Divas division that needs to be filled. Naomi is likeable  by both males and females, but WWE is not all in on her as they are (for some reason) with AJ. So at least make AJ likeable.

AJ probably brings in a good amount of merchandise dollars on the women's side.  I would think AJ does a lot of shirt sales although the Bellas are probably up there as well.

This would be a good question for Dave since he published something about 7 months ago.

I read a couple of articles that mention that the Attitude Era's sales peaked when Austin turned heel and when someone does turn heel their merchandise sales drop off a cliff.  They are not going to make that mistake again when a character is a big seller.

AJ has been working the UN-intresting shooty gimmick for some  time now so even if she turned heel proper tomorrow, i don't think it will have any major impact on her merch due to the fact that she is tied in so heavily with Punk (in the fans mind) that is is pretty much safe. People will see it as AJ being 'just like Punk' and being some kind of pseudo-revoloutionist to move the Divas away from being Divas and into a 'real' and 'proper' (as its called in some parts of the internet) division. All of which is complete horseshit. At one point AJ called off pretty decent and then Punk left. She has the Punk/Cool tie in and will remain over which is completely unfortunate as she has not been the best Divas worker all year and in reality while thinking about it and combining the NXT girls...I don't even think AJ makes my top 10 Diva workers list.

I find it bizarre how bent out of shape people are regarding Punk and AJ. 

Secretly they are upset that she gets to sleep with him. I don't see AJ doing a female version of Punk's schitck. I just see her still doing the crazy chick act when she throws in some "reality" every now and then. I mean it's a PG show so she's probably limited to what she can say about the Bella's. I mean if they wanted to get shooty, AJ would say something like Nikki got her spot because of John Cena.

AJ's more the snarky nerdy girl we all knew in high school who hates the plastics. She's essentially Lizzy Caplin in Mean Girls just dialed down.

• Like 2

HHH trying to re-enact Jack Nicholson's big speech from A Few Good Men was one of the most painful promos I've ever seen between the inferior delivery and shameless plagiarism. Whoever wrote that should be fired.

Actually kinda liked the rest of the show until Anonymous GM returned. It's good to see faces other than Cena get some strong booking for a change. Rollins was great with J/J security in the main.

Can someone please tell me why every RAW, SmackDown, Main Event, NXT, etc. review (and TNA) has a gratuitous shot of the women while they're wrestling? :mellow:

I'm going to start doing my own recaps with junk and ass shots of the male talent.

• Like 3

Can someone please tell me why every RAW, SmackDown, Main Event, NXT, etc. review (and TNA) has a gratuitous shot of the women while they're wrestling? :mellow:

Because nobody's told MGFanJay not to do it, so he hasn't stopped.

• Like 1