DVDVR Message Board

2014 NFL: WEEK TEN

Dolfan in NYC

Poor Chris Williams can't even celebrate that fantastic runback.

I had a thing and didn't see much of this... Do you if you're the Bears have to try something else going forward?

They can try something else. Starting in Week 12.

I'm so excited for that week 16 NFL Network game between the Titans and the Jaguars (which sadly represents one of only two games the Jags MIGHT win [other being vs. NYG in three weeks]

I really need to find a new sport and/or a new NFL team

LOL at that game last night.  At some point I was rooting for the Packers to drop 70 so they would have to fire Mel Tucker on the spot.  As of right now that man still has a job.  Cutler wasn't good, and there were plenty of Cutler jokes to be made, but Peyton fucking Manning couldn't win with this defense.  It all looks so much worse when the offense is lousy too, but holy shit our D is somehow worse than last year.  I didn't think that was possible a month ago. 

Funny story.  I'm watching the game with my father and I turn to him at one point.  The Packers are just starting a drive on their own 5 yard line and I ask "How many plays until they score?"  he replies, "I'll go with 5."  Five plays later Lacy reverses field after a short pass and takes it to the house.  We laughed for a good 10 minutes.

Here is a little secret about the Bears "zone" defense.  If you run in a straight line, at some point you will be WIDE open.  Props to the graphics guy for showing the yards between Jordy and the two closest Bears. Hysterical stuff.

I'm pretty disappointed that I didn't record the game last night before heading to work. Suffice to say, that was a pleasant surprise to come home too. Looking at the schedule, the Lions should still likely take the division, they've been the more complete team this year anyway, regardless of Rodgers going HAM.

Sooooo....does Trestman go back to Montreal next year? Hate the Bears, but I feel bad for the guy, guess there's going to be no Canadian revolution of the NFL anytime soon.

I'm pretty disappointed that I didn't record the game last night before heading to work. Suffice to say, that was a pleasant surprise to come home too. Looking at the schedule, the Lions should still likely take the division, they've been the more complete team this year anyway, regardless of Rodgers going HAM.

Sooooo....does Trestman go back to Montreal next year? Hate the Bears, but I feel bad for the guy, guess there's going to be no Canadian revolution of the NFL anytime soon.

What's he going to do in Montreal without Calvillo?

This reminds me yet again a few weeks ago Trestman, who also worked with Steve Young, said that Culter was "the best QB he's ever worked with" and I laughed my ass off.

I'd say Young was better than Cutler.

Shit, I'd say Young IS better than Cutler. At age 53.

By the way, I came on here a few months ago and lambasted the Chicago fanbase for being so impatient with Cutler. I was wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. I am sorry for my stupidity. 

B2Dfm8XIEAAV3tR.jpg

THE ROCHESTER JEFFERSONS

WHO ARE THE ROCHESTER JEFFERSONS

Andrew SicilianoVerified account ‏@AndrewSiciliano

From @nflnetwork research: The 1-9 Jaguars are the first team in @nfl history to lose 9 of its first 10 games in 3 consecutive seasons.

My mind is blown that these two futility stats don't somehow have the Lions featured in them anywhere.

The list of guys Young was NOT better than is really, really, really, really short.

If I'm writing that list, it's blank, but I'm the only one who feels that way.

The list of guys Young was NOT better than is really, really, really, really short.

If I'm writing that list, it's blank, but I'm the only one who feels that way.

I could hear an argument for Montana or Brady.

That's pretty much it. Steve Young is why I like football, he really got me interested as a kid.

Young had way to short a prime to be the GOAT, but he's definitely up there. I'd probably have him in the lower half of the top ten.

Eh, I think 8 years is enough.  And he was still elite when he got KO'ed out of the league.  And he was easily good enough to start (the second go-round) before he did.

I can hear arguments for Brady, Manning, Elway, Montana or whoever but I don't think any of them had the full package that Young brought to the table.  Brady & Manning couldn't run.  Elway wasn't as accurate.  Montana didn't have the arm strength.

You know who's got a great argument?  Aaron Rodgers, once he gets a couple more seasons under his belt.

• Like 1

Longevity is one issue. Young sat behind Montana and then obviously the fact that he had to follow Montana was the other issue. People can't comprehend how one team could have two of the greatest QBs of all time back-to-back so they feel the need to knock Young for not winning as many Super Bowls. Young is always compared to Montana but never to anyone else. Once you start comparing Young to everyone else you quickly realize "wow.. there's not a lot of QB's I'd take over this guy.."

It's never the tools people will compare either. It only comes down to # of titles. Unfortunately that's how we look at sports now. LeBron can't be Kobe yet because Kobe has five titles.. etc.. People want to simplify everything.

You can definitely make a case for Young's 1992 was the best season by a QB ever (and he was technically the back-up!) and his 1994 was right there as well.

And in no sport is comparing across eras harder than football.  I mean, Young led the NFL with 25 td passes in 1992.  There are already 3 QBs at 25 or more this season.  Tom Brady threw 25 last year, and finished eleventh in the league.

If I had to make an off the top of my head list, it would look something like

10. Staubach

09. Farve

08. Graham (probably too low, but god damn it was a long fucking time ago)

07. Young

06. Marino

05. Elway

04. Unitas

03. Manning or Brady*

02. Brady or Manning*

01. Montana

*I refuse to definitively rank these two until they are retired.

But that's literally off the top of my head, and subject to a whole lot of grains of salt.