DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I'd love to see a promoted UFC bout with a WWE guy that devolves into sports entertainment hokiness.

Would anyone really be that angry to fork over for a PPV that featured a main event involving zombie situps, hulk-ups, a babyface comeback and then a finish involving an elbow drop?

i love wrestling and i love MMA, but for different reasons. i wouldn't be happy if i saw a UFC PPV main event turn into a prowres match.

• Like 2

I like wrestling, and I'll order the occasional big time boxing PPV. IMO, MMA just sort of fails at trying to be both. It's really cool as a sport, and I enjoy watching the occasional bout, but a legitimate sport can't have a B-show on Versus imploring us to buy the PPV to see the big stars. Wrestling is fictional, and thus, like any work of fiction, it's formulaic-- it has it's tropes. But with that in mind, I'd gladly watch Silver King v El Dandy rematch # 2183 on Tha Muthaship and not feel like it was a waste of time (nor did it negatively affect my interest in the big names) but a shitty MMA fight with two scrubs feels like an eternity, and makes me want just less MMA in general, and actually turns me off from PPV.

From a strictly entertainment standpoint, both the UFC and WWE product suffer from brutal overexposure. I'll be watching Lucha Underground with the other negative Nancys, thank you very much.

Sting, tho

I could live with Paul E as commissioner if Brock does leave after WM.

He would be a good heel commissioner.

He doesn't need to be a heel. He can be the match maker and promoter. Break up the cycle and start every Raw with Heyman backstage running down the card they have for you tonight and hyping the main events. Theta an ECW ppv that opens with Heyman backstage with his headset on telling you about injuries and card changes but promising you an incredible show. I mean Heyman isn't even a heel right now. He wants to give the fans the best champion and the best matches they can.

• Like 2

I could live with Paul E as commissioner if Brock does leave after WM.

He would be a good heel commissioner.

He doesn't need to be a heel. He can be the match maker and promoter. Break up the cycle and start every Raw with Heyman backstage running down the card they have for you tonight and hyping the main events. Theta an ECW ppv that opens with Heyman backstage with his headset on telling you about injuries and card changes but promising you an incredible show. I mean Heyman isn't even a heel right now. He wants to give the fans the best champion and the best matches they can.

I would love that and sit on the edge of my seat for the first fifteen minutes of the show.

• Like 1

What kind of gimmick matches could you do in MMA? Battle Royal? Crazy 8? I imagine an MMA blindfold match would be better than a wrestling one anyway.

I always wondered if you could do an mma fight in a ring with the stipulation that if they roll outside the ring the fight continues.

Rope breaks would factor in but it's an idea.

I'm way out on a limb by myself, but my favorite work from Jim Ross is actually his short-lived three-man booth with Bobby Heenan and Randy Savage. Heenan and Savage did the heel-face bickering dynamic nicely, leaving Ross to do a good call. 

I also prefer Ross/Ventura greatly to any of Ross's WWF work other than with Heenan and Savage. 

I'm way out on a limb by myself, but my favorite work from Jim Ross is actually his short-lived three-man booth with Bobby Heenan and Randy Savage. Heenan and Savage did the heel-face bickering dynamic nicely, leaving Ross to do a good call. 

I also prefer Ross/Ventura greatly to any of Ross's WWF work other than with Heenan and Savage. 

There's some Coliseum Video match where the three are commentating and the camera inexplicably sits on a crowd shot.  For at least thirty seconds.  Maybe a minute.  And the three suddenly realize that no one was paying attention when the match was shot and as a result nobody cares what they are saying now, so they just start riffing on how shitty the production is.  Almost positive it's a UK show.

MMA needs more dusty finishes.

Yeah, I was a wrestling fan in the 80s.  NOTHING needs more Dusty finishes. 

100% Yes

Edit: No matter what criteria you use. From a purely WWE-kayfabe perspective, he's a multi-time IC and tag champion over a long period of time and "Goldust" was an important character in helping kickoff the Attitude Era.

Beyond that Dustin Rhodes is amazing at the wrestling and there's probably two dozen people on this board alone that would go to bat for him.

• Like 1

Dustin is one of 10, and possibly 5, favorite wrestlers ever.  He was in, imo, the best match in WCW history (vs. Bunkhouse Buck, Bunkhouse match, Spring Stampede '94), and has now managed to be a relevant figure for nearly 25 years in pro wrestling, and is still one of the absolute best in-ring performers in the world.

If he's not a hall of famer, than you might as well not have a hall of fame.

Sting was a bigger star, but not nearly as good a worker (and I *like* Sting) at his peak, but I'm fairly ambivalent on the whole "is Sting a hall of famer" question.

So midcard 4 life Goldust is HOF worthy, but not Sting?

They have nothing to do with each other. Goldust is at least as worthy as Jake Roberts or Jim Duggan, neither of whom lasted as long in the WWE or had as much success as Goldust.