DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I was just reading that...I thought Heyman always acknowledged some people (including Dreamer) got a shitty deal when ECW went under. Sounds like the bone of contention was a massive amount of merch Dreamer kept that had some value. Nonetheless, fun read as the trolls got to Paul E.

I really like Maxx Payne/MMR. I think the gimmick was corny, or maybe it was the look, but the idea of a grunge garage-band looking dude who could actually play the guitar (which I'm pretty sure MMR did) seemed like a pretty zeitgeist-y gimmick. Plus, I enjoy Payne as a wrestler. Good garbage wrestler, and he kinda seemed to be putting it together a bit about the time he left WCW. 

I feel like Payne would have been great doing a less cartoony version of that gimmick in mid-'90s ECW. 

It was nice hearing Vince like he just discovered rock music, on commentary.  I'm surprised he didn't do a gangsta rap gimmick in like 2000.

Vince with durag was pretty gangsta in 2007. And he did the eminem middle finger with extended thumb during the Austin feud.

According to Da Meltz, WWE's audience skews older.

* The average viewer (for the three shows) is 41.4 years old. The report indicates that viewership is getting older instead of younger.

* Audience viewership is 63% male. Total Divas skews number down a bit because it would be closer to 68% for just Raw and Smackdown.

* The viewership for three shows is less than 19% under the age of 17. 22% of the viewership is between 18 and 34, and 22% between 35 and 49. 37% is over the age of 50.

Credit: The Wrestling Observer

This probably means nothing to the WWE and won't mean we will get attitude era content again anytime soon. The WWE is publicly traded so there are a lot of hands in the pot to control things.

If for some reason the WWE did decide to skew its content for adults, I wonder if creative is, well, creative enough to go a little edgier but not have Women stripping or dudes bleeding buckets and old lame dick jokes and the crappy parts of the Attitude Era?

As someone who sees parellels between WWE and DC Comics, while I certainly don't see them closing up shop on some shows because they got the wrong demographic ("Young Justice," looking at you) one wonders if this will cause a redoubled attempt to connect with the younger audience.

• Like 1

Everything they do is geared toward a younger, or late arriving fan.  Just watching ANY doc on the Network.  Everything is presented for people who weren't there to experience the things they talked about, evident by the total rewriting of history.  How often on TV do they try to push Cena as the all time greatest, even if a Flair or Hogan are on the same show?

Everything they do is geared toward a younger, or late arriving fan.  Just watching ANY doc on the Network.  Everything is presented for people who weren't there to experience the things they talked about, evident by the total rewriting of history.  How often on TV do they try to push Cena as the all time greatest, even if a Flair or Hogan are on the same show?

Within "kayfabe" (yes I feel like a tool using that term) Cena may well be the greatest of all time. Tons of titles, dominant runs, longest run as "the man" since Bruno... I don't see that as rewriting history in the least.

Their core fan is the long-term nerd fan who can still recite off the tops of their heads the, say, Intercontinental Champions that held the gold in 1992 (in order: Bret Hart, The Mountie, Roddy Piper, Bret Hart (2), British Bulldog, Shawn Michaels) or the billed weights and heights of wrestlers they liked as a kid (Hulk Hogan: 6'8, 303 lbs; Razor Ramon; 6'7, 287 lbs.). Those fans are the ones they need to cater to because if they can create a show that those fans would let their kids watch as parents AND that those fans also enjoy, they'd find it easier going to cultivate the next generation of fans. 

In fact, that's what's driving whatever Network numbers they have, I'd guess: the nostalgia lovers all the way up to the legit historian types that love to see the older and obscure stuff from numerous places are the demo that will make the Network be successful for the first few years rather than kids, pre-teens, and teens. 

It also probably really hurts WWE that the death of Saturday morning cartoons on network television has happened. I really became a long-term fan as a kid by sticking around to watch Superstars at 11AM after cartoons went off in my area, and I'd guess that a surprising number of us got into wrestling or kept up our interest by seeing whatever show was in our area on television after cartoons on Saturday. Now, those shows are on the Network where they won't pick up an audience that won't actively seek them out. 

So I see the criticism in Bray Wyatt in the Cena feud as he wasnt "protected" but I like the character with Taker seemingly gone Wyatt could be the new Taker in a way. He has a somewhat supernatural character admittedly he's not as "protected" as Taker was but nobody is. Cena is uber protected like too unstoppable. But like Ryback it can all be rebuilt for Bray. 

* The average viewer (for the three shows) is 41.4 years old. The report indicates that viewership is getting older instead of younger.

* Audience viewership is 63% male. Total Divas skews number down a bit because it would be closer to 68% for just Raw and Smackdown.

* The viewership for three shows is less than 19% under the age of 17. 22% of the viewership is between 18 and 34, and 22% between 35 and 49. 37% is over the age of 50.

This makes the pie-in-sky numbers tossed around by the company in advance of the new TV deal even funnier.  Good luck getting monopoly money when your audience is getting older instead of younger, only 1/5 of your viewership is in the prime category for advertisers, and over 1/3 of your viewers are undesirable to advertisers. 

Lol.  Besides overestimating their number of fans by a factor of four or so, it's clear this company either has no handle on the fanbase's demographic profile, or simply doesn't want to acknowledge the numbers because the truth would be inconvenient for stockholders.

This makes the pie-in-sky numbers tossed around by the company in advance of the new TV deal even funnier.  Good luck getting monopoly money when your audience is getting older instead of younger, only 1/5 of your viewership is in the prime category for advertisers, and over 1/3 of your viewers are undesirable to advertisers. 

Lol.  Besides overestimating their number of fans by a factor of four or so, it's clear this company either has no handle on the fanbase's demographic profile, or simply doesn't want to acknowledge the numbers because the truth would be inconvenient for stockholders.

So, the WWE will soon join Fox News in the "buy gold/stair assist chair" commercials club. Not a solid business model to say the least. 18-49 males is THE money demo and they are moving away from it.

So I see the criticism in Bray Wyatt in the Cena feud as he wasnt "protected" but I like the character with Taker seemingly gone Wyatt could be the new Taker in a way. He has a somewhat supernatural character admittedly he's not as "protected" as Taker was but nobody is. Cena is uber protected like too unstoppable. But like Ryback it can all be rebuilt for Bray. 

Giving Wyatt superpowers is probably what ruined him in the first place. Why can't he just be a big fat crazy hillbilly?

• Like 2