DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

And to the guy who asked who'd be in my top 5 faces if Jarrett is in it, I think faces should be likeable, have a believability about them, and give you moments that make you glad you watch pro wrestling. I am not big on ranking or whatever you call it.

So which of these attributes does Jeff Jarrett possess? I count 0.

• Like 2

I like Jeff Jarrett as a heel. As a face though, his "OVERCOME THE ODDS" moments make John Cena look modest. 

Does anyone else remember the Raven/Jarrett match from 03? That was a ridiculous bit of booking that made no one look good except Jarrett and buried like a solid 5 other guys. 

The NJPW shows are usually up on Dailymotion within a day or two of them airing. Dark Kenny Omega match you say? Then it's a true dark match because I don't think it was taped. It's not on the playlist I started to watch earlier (which includes a pre show match).

Cody's a solid pro wrestling who has had fun gimmicks that he's delivered to various degrees of quality. He's the proverbial "good hand" who has good matches and definitely has fun with wrestling. However, he's not someone who can anchor a promotion, although he arguably did during the awesome Rhodes Family vs. The Authority stretch last year. I have to rewatch those matches because the Raw match where they won the belts was my MOTY in 2013 and the match where they won their jobs back was really high on the list, too.

I tuned out during the Stardust and Goldust Cosmic Key promos but I enjoy watching them in the ring. I loved the "Dashing" Cody Rhodes gimmick but wasn't a huge fan of his in-ring work at the time, and I have no idea why. I loved the Phantom Of The Opera bit and his tag team with Sandow, too.

He's a perfectly fine mid-card act. No shame in that game.

And to the guy who asked who'd be in my top 5 faces if Jarrett is in it, I think faces should be likeable, have a believability about them, and give you moments that make you glad you watch pro wrestling. I am not big on ranking or whatever you call it.

Like I said, Jarrett gets a lot of shit. ;)

The NJPW shows are usually up on Dailymotion within a day or two of them airing. Dark Kenny Omega match you say? Then it's a true dark match because I don't think it was taped. It's not on the playlist I started to watch earlier (which includes a pre show match).

Thanks for the tip! I was hoping to see the Chase Owens vs Jushin Liger match and voila it was there

VFKfos1.png

I think Jeff Jarrett is a great worker but I don't know about an all-time great babyface. Honestly, other than the TNA stuff with Angle that you mentioned, I'm struggling to remember him being a babyface at all. So for a guy who's been from Memphis to New Gen WWF to WCW to early-Attitude WWF to dying-days WCW, I'm not sure it's fair to judge him based on something that happened in TNA only a couple of years ago.

And I know that sounds negative toward Jarrett, but I actually do like a lot of his stuff. I thought along with the Kliq, Bret and Owen he was one of the only bright spots of the New Generation lean years. If it weren't for the lame Aztec gear, the NWA invasion flopping, and Austin not wanting to work with him, I think his late '97 WWF character could have been something really cool. There were times in WCW where even as the cho-cho-Chosen One, I didn't mind his mic work ("Slapnuts" is still a thing of genius). And I absolutely loved his tag team with Owen.

I think he catches shit for:

1) the Chyna matches

2) The way he left the WWF

3) His relationship with Russo in WCW and later, TNA

4) The way he was booked (or booked himself, whatever) in the early years of TNA as this unfuckable heel champion

He was force fed on the Memphis promotion ala Erik Watts and Mike Von Erich. Decent wrestler, got it, but I would say he was a distant 3rd or 4th babyface in Memphis, much less all time.

I can only think of one time I was interested in Jarrett...when he returned to WWF after his horsemen run in WCW and blasted Bischoff.

I'll forever have a soft spot for Jarrett because of his run in the NWA stable during the Attitude Era. Upon rewatching that stuff the NWA thing was one of the biggest highlights for me because it seemed like it took place in an alternate dimension. It was completely and utterly different from everything else that was going on in the WWE at that time. I still wish it would've lasted longer and they could've gotten a main event run, they would've made perfect foils for the modern day Attitude stars.

I'm of the opinion that Ryback could be an interesting match for Lesnar if handled right and allowed to show his entertaining personality from Twitter. Supposedly not a favorite of Triple H and Stephanie (dirtsheet shit I read during his first push so probably wrong), but I find him interesting. Thoughts?

• Like 1

I also think he would be a good match for Lesnar if properly handled.

Of course, in my mind, that ship sailed-- my idea was that there should have been a Heyman Family stable with he, Axel, Cesaro, and Brock, which then leads to a Ryback baby turn on Brock, where he then has to run through the whole gauntlet before getting to him.

• Like 1

Ryback looks to have found one of the two missing pieces which he didn't have two years ago, which is an actual personality, (rather than just "intense, screamy guy",) and the ability to translate that to the fans. Now we just need to see if he can go in singles matches of main event length. As Roman Reigns' post-Shield efforts showed, that deficiency can be hidden in tags and shorter singles matches.

Ryback looks to have found one of the two missing pieces which he didn't have two years ago, which is an actual personality, (rather than just "intense, screamy guy",) and the ability to translate that to the fans. Now we just need to see if he can go in singles matches of main event length. As Roman Reigns' post-Shield efforts showed, that deficiency can be hidden in tags and shorter singles matches.

Dude motherfucker were chanting "feed me more" across the country. I don't understand how we (or the company) judges talent by what they don't do instead of what they do.

And booking champions to lose is fuckin dumb no matter what.

• Like 1

Agreed that Axel is a solid worker, but he's also a charisma vacuum.

He showed more in that promo than he ever has before on tv. Maybe he didn't get all of his father's tools, but there's definitely something there. I wouldn't mind seeing him working in NXT for while. It seems to have rejuvinated Tyson Kidd.

Like I said, Jarrett gets a lot of shit. ;)

He's not a bad wrestler by any stretch. He's very good as a shit bag heel and I enjoyed his Chosen One run. Top 5 babyface though? I'm not even gonna buy that for a dollar.

• Like 1