DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

RIPPA

One episode in... 

This show is awesome.  Agents of who?

I'm probably exaggerating in some sort of fevered dream now, but Agents of SHIELD feels like garbage to me now.

Thoughts on season 1:

OK so Owlsley is already dead. Ben Urich is dead. Madame Gao is allowed to get away scot free. Kind of disappointed with all that. Oh well.

The ending was a great note to go out on at least. The confrontations with Daredevil and Kingpin were great.

I think they got too death happy this season. Wesley dying? Yes, good, great. That death made sense and had an emotional impact on Kingpin. Didn't see the point in killing off Urich and Owlsley. And yet Madame Gao gets to get away without incident? Rubbed me the wrong way. 

My only problem is all the Black Sky stuff getting introduced without follow-up. Seems to be either something for season two or I guess with Defenders. 

The Black Sky was a weak MacGuffin. We should've gotten a better explanation on what Black Sky is. If not an explanation, a better hint at least.

I just finished Season 1 last night, and I thought it was awesome:

The only thing that I think they they screwed up on is like you said they got too death happy, Wes made sense. (compared to the 2003 movie, the character was absolutely phenomenal. Capable and not just a glorified Yes Man for Fisk. Urich I thought felt a little too sudden. I kept expecting DD to bust in through the window at the last second to save him. They could have saved his death for Season 2.

Karen and Foggy were awesome and I like where Karen is at the end of the season, so she has an excuse to get destructive when Season 2 starts if they go that way with her. I was also surprised they seem to be doing a slow burn on the Page/Murdock relationship.

Elektra tease!

Overall, the season was very impressive (except for Stick's episode, that interrupted the flow of series that they had going. It felt like a stand alone episode compared to the rest of the season. But if its setting up the over-arching storyline for Defenders, then whatever).

I also felt Charlie Cox and Vincent D'Onofrio could easily jump into the movies without missing a beat. They were that epic in their performances in my opinion. Which I think is what Marvel was going for as a goal.

Would a person who knows very little about Daredevil or comics in general enjoy this show?? You guys have me interested in giving this a go.

I've never read the comic and know some general stuff about the character through reading other discussions and comic geek friends, and I've enjoyed it so far (just finished episode 3).  The fight choreography for this show has been spectacular, Episode 2 had some straight up Oldboy shit going on.

Possibly dumb question - Daredevil exists in the same universe as the Avengers and all those other characters who have access to otherworldly technology and can do pretty much anything in terms of scientific procedures.  At any point in his character's run has someone offered him a procedure to restore his sight, or would that cut down on his other abilities?

Daredevil's sight has been restored a number of times, most recently in Superior Iron Man, it's generally a short term thing, and he never really cares when he loses his vision again.

• Like 1

Wow, Just finished. Great show. Couple questions

Where was the Elektra tease? Was the "incident" they referred to Avengers/Chitauri?

Answers:

1.  The Elektra tease I believe was in episode 10 where we flashed back to Matt and Foggy in college.  Foggy asked Matt about taking Spanish with a Greek woman and asked what was going on.  Matt says it wasn't going to work out.  I recall, Matt and Elektra first met and dated in college.

2.  The incident was the Chitauri invasion from the Avengers and the Battle of NY.  Which you can also see a headline for in Ben Urich's office at the New York Bulletin.

Been watching Daredevil over the weekend and finished up earlier tonight. I loved every minute of it. The acting was acting was great. I loved how they built everything and everyone up. D'Onofrio was a fantastic Kingpin, and I can only hope he makes it the movies at some point (hopefully the next Spider-man film). This was a great series and really sets the bar for the other Marvel netflix shows. Its going to be hard following this up.

As far as problems go

I don't think they were too death happy at all. The way things had been building it would have been ridiculous if both Karen and Ben had made it out alive. They pushed fairly hard that both were going way too far to escape unscathed. One of them had to go. Oswley was great but was way too damn arrogant as guy who wasn't an offensive power among the group. Made perfect sense for him go to after his hand was revealed to a highly emotional Fisk. I like the Black Sky episode though I do agree that there needed to be more of an explanation of it. Its clear though with that, Stick, and the Hand in general they were laying the seeds for another season

• Like 1

Owlsley was so perfect, and even though, and I loved  he looked dead....there was no confirmation. He was the fucking Owl and he was perfect. Daredevil's original rouges gallery was full of Batman ripoffs like The Jester and The Owl. This was a perfect way to do the Owl and I hope they have him in a coma or some shit.

I never binge watch shows but I did with this. It was so fucking great.

I was a little disappointed that 

Wesley and Ben were both taken out. I get why they were but both were fucking killing it especially Wesley. Such a dick. So perfect.

All of the acting has been great so far. I can't really think of a weak link. Even the little side characters like Madame Gao or Matt's Dad or whoever..  Stick..  I mean everyone has been awesome.

• Like 1

Watched the finale last night, and please god, never let Steven DeKnight direct again. The climactic fight was by far the ugliest one of the whole series. All tight shots and quick cuts, and the few wide shots showing a ton of daylight between the strikes. Not all showrunners are meant to be directors.

I felt this was good but not great. I think next season will improve dramatically now that they've gotten past his growing pains origin. They seemed to take the Arrow approach to slow burn episodes will occasional flurries to keep you interested.

That being said, I didn't think they did enough to keep a non fan interested and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't win over any new fans to the character overall.

I also didn't realize Kingpin wasn't a metahuman and he was just naturally strong. I thought I read something where a container of chemicals had spilled on him after falling off the back of a truck and it changed his skin and muscle tone, which enhanced his overall strength.

• Like 1

I'm through episode five. I should preface this by saying that I am a huge Daredevil fan. Before selling off large chunks of my collection after college, I owned a copy of every issue of DD from 3 on. I stopped reading superhero stuff right after Brubaker's run, but I can still quote chapter and verse from a lot of the Bendis, Nocenti, Miller et al. I have multiple Daredevil tattoos. I am theoretically the person who has been chomping at the bit for this show. I stayed away from spoilers and even trailers because I wanted to go in without any preconceived notions.

I'm sure I'll write a longer post when I'm done with the show, but right now this is a very average piece of television. If I didn't have attachment to the character and the ability to binge watch it, I would probably have relegated it to "DVR it and maybe I'll get around to it" land. All the performances are fine. I think the representation of the character and the overall tone of the show are not problematic in any way. I just haven't felt it come together quite yet. Through five episodes, I think the only thing I'm going to remember in 2 months is a fight scene that is very clearly an homage to another famous fight scene. 

I don't want to look at all the spoiler boxes in this thread because I'm still trying to keep an open mind, but what about this show does everyone love aside from "It's Daredevil" and "It's better than Agents of SHIELD"? I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm genuinely asking because I want to know if I should look for something different than I am when watching it. 

• Like 1

I'd say if it doesn't do it for you by now, nothing anyone could say is gonna make you go "a-ha". There isn't a drastic change in tone from the point you're at moving forward, it kind of is what it is.

I'm through episode five. I should preface this by saying that I am a huge Daredevil fan. Before selling off large chunks of my collection after college, I owned a copy of every issue of DD from 3 on. I stopped reading superhero stuff right after Brubaker's run, but I can still quote chapter and verse from a lot of the Bendis, Nocenti, Miller et al. I have multiple Daredevil tattoos. I am theoretically the person who has been chomping at the bit for this show. I stayed away from spoilers and even trailers because I wanted to go in without any preconceived notions.

I'm sure I'll write a longer post when I'm done with the show, but right now this is a very average piece of television. If I didn't have attachment to the character and the ability to binge watch it, I would probably have relegated it to "DVR it and maybe I'll get around to it" land. All the performances are fine. I think the representation of the character and the overall tone of the show are not problematic in any way. I just haven't felt it come together quite yet. Through five episodes, I think the only thing I'm going to remember in 2 months is a fight scene that is very clearly an homage to another famous fight scene.

I don't want to look at all the spoiler boxes in this thread because I'm still trying to keep an open mind, but what about this show does everyone love aside from "It's Daredevil" and "It's better than Agents of SHIELD"? I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm genuinely asking because I want to know if I should look for something different than I am when watching it.

I'd like to see your Daredevil tattoos. I have been considering getting the DD logo on myself for awhile.

My Lord of Light that hallway fight in Episode 2.  That hallway fight!

Singlehandedly sold me on the series.

Watched the finale last night, and please god, never let Steven DeKnight direct again. The climactic fight was by far the ugliest one of the whole series. All tight shots and quick cuts, and the few wide shots showing a ton of daylight between the strikes. Not all showrunners are meant to be directors.

That's disappointing.  I haven't gotten that far, but so far all of the fights have been amazing and shot perfectly.  Especially the one mentioned above.  I'm loving the hell out of this show honestly.  I'm 4 episodes in, and it's already my second favorite comic book property on "tv" behind Flash.  Just smashed all of my expectations.

I think they had a hard time choreographing the fights with D'Onofrio. The physical stuff up until the last episode was a lot simpler for him, and the other fights in the series had the benefit of a stuntman in a mask fighting stunt extras mostly. Shooting around D'Onofrio's double was probably tougher.

Just watched the last episode. I'd say it was pretty damn good and definitely better than all the other superhero shows on television, but I don't loved it quite as much as Big Fresh and some others here.

I know the Atlas logo on the door opposing their office was probably just a reference to Atlas Comics, but I would be down for an Agents of Atlas show, too.

Finished up watching the series yesterday.  I can't believe I agree with all the hyperbole of Big Fresh! lol  This show is awesome.  I love the dynamic between Fisk and Vanessa, as well as between Murdoch and Foggy.  A couple points off the dome:

-What can be said about that hallway fight scene that hasn't already been said. Just wow...

-I cannot wait until we get to know more about Gao.  She intrigues me so much.

-Mid-way thru the series, I thought I was gonna end up hating Foggy, but I dig him, even though he's not my favorite character.

-Vincent D'Onofrio is the man.  His scene where he asks Vanessa out to eat encapsulates his personality a few minutes.

-Only gripe that I had was that the opening credits reminds me too much of Game of Thrones.

-Wesley is totally hateable.

- In the last episode, I loved the juxtaposition of Nessum Dorma playing while they're rounding up the bad guys was beautiful.

-I can't wait to see The Gladiator!!!

• Like 2