DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

RIPPA

The key with Daredevil is that Matt Murdock has meta-ability but he's not superty-duperty overpowered. So we saw a lot of selling this season, which I hope they keep up even past the Year One stuff.

A big part of what worked is that he didn't just get beat up in the Boss Fights.

Binged watched Daredevil while on shift last week.  Yeah, it fucking rules.  Netflix may be sitting on a gold mine with this Marvel deal and Marvel shows their brilliance by conceding the normal television battle to DC Entertainment and capturing the alternative distribution market.

• Like 1

The best thing about Matt Murdoch, relative, to let's say Batman, is that he makes these hugely stupid mistakes, all the time. He just gets back up and keeps fighting. We're through episode 7 now and I think every episode there's at least one moment where you have to groan at something he did.

• Like 2

This weekend I watched the whole thing while at work and really enjoyed it.  Like I said before, I'm not a comic fan and only have general knowledge about the characters through friends, wikipedia, etc.  They did a great job giving it a more serious tone than a lot of the other Marvel media without going completely overboard or trying too hard and just making it crap (ie. the Nolan Batman films).  All the performances, even the midcard characters, were excellent and brought a lot out.

About the only criticisms I had were Murdock's "powers" being a bit inconsistent, but I'm willing to concede that's partially due to my unfamiliarity with the material and the producers needing to move the plot forward or other deux ex machina reasons.  It's a minor thing though and they're doing a good job showing his backstory and origin without bogging things down and I think it will be better explained in future seasons.

While I thought Dinofrio's performance as Kingpin was very well done, I didn't really buy the character as a credible big bad.  Again, I'm not all that familiar with Kingpin behind him being the final boss of the Punisher arcade game, but I'd always envisioned him as an unstoppable force.  This version seemed almost too....human?  It seemed like his cronies who were conspiring behind his back were getting the best of him a bit too easily.  It did appear they're planting seeds of some bigger gameplan going on behind the scenes with the other villains, so I'm not going to write any of that off too quick.

AoS definitely isn't on Daredevil's level, but last night's episode was pretty good I thought. Skye found out who her mother was, Raina's powers are revealed at the end, Coulson is building something for powered people, and May's story was told (spoiler: She killed two Inhumans, one was a child).

• Like 1

AoS definitely isn't on Daredevil's level, but last night's episode was pretty good I thought. Skye found out who her mother was, Raina's powers are revealed at the end, Coulson is building something for powered people, and May's story was told (spoiler: She killed two Inhumans, one was a child).

She didn't kill that child. Skye's mother did or at least that's how it seemed to me.  Wasn't the point of that entire plot was to tell the story that they killed that girl who got exposed to the mist without their approval?  That is why her mother told her she couldn't tell anyone that they were related, because the last time a mother gave her child powers they killed her.

Wow, I didn't get that at all. I thought it was clear May killed the girl. Why else would she break down and give up her job and all that?

The point of the plot was summed up by Skye's mom at the end there: The have to keep their relationship a secret because everybody remembers the one mom who went nuts and exposed her psycho kid to the mist without approval and since Skye got misted without approval everybody would think she is following the same path.

Eh, to be honest the Inhuman stuff doesn't really interest me that much - altho the scene at the end with the Hyde family dinner was kinda touching (or was it? Now *that* confused the fuck out me - why was that lame Inhuman McDreamy there?). Neither does the stuff with Other Shield. But I am ALL IN on Coulson and Hunter as the MU version of Murtaugh and Riggs. Especially if they add Fitz to the mix. I really hope they give Fitz more to do as time goes on because he's far and away the most interesting character - and best actor - on the show imo.

Agents of SHIELD kind of put me off after all the CW-y scenes with Lincoln and Skye and the horrible writing of NuSHIELD.  Its tough because I was a hardcore supporter and defender of the show early on, now it just constantly disappoints me.

Yeah, that scene is just bizarre.

Apart from all the other stuff that's bad about the movie, the movie also feels incredibly dated now with all the early 2000s NuMetal music constantly blaring in the background.

I dug last night's episode a good deal as well. Skye training with her mother was nice, and it was good to finally see the event that changed May.

Eh, to be honest the Inhuman stuff doesn't really interest me that much - altho the scene at the end with the Hyde family dinner was kinda touching (or was it? Now *that* confused the fuck out me - why was that lame Inhuman McDreamy there?). Neither does the stuff with Other Shield. But I am ALL IN on Coulson and Hunter as the MU version of Murtaugh and Riggs. Especially if they add Fitz to the mix. I really hope they give Fitz more to do as time goes on because he's far and away the most interesting character - and best actor - on the show imo.

Its odd. The Inhuman stuff doesn't interest me too much either, but at the same time I find them to be doing a decent job with it while I actually have some interest in the Shield split story, but just don't think its going nearly as well as it could be aside for the Coulson/Hunter team and the little moments where Fitz and Simmons get to show off..

Wow, I didn't get that at all. I thought it was clear May killed the girl. Why else would she break down and give up her job and all that?

May never says "I killed her" when Coulson's trying to get her out of her state of shock on the plane, only "I couldn't save her." I'm not saying it's a sure thing, just that it's a possibility.

They did a great job giving it a more serious tone than a lot of the other Marvel media without going completely overboard or trying too hard and just making it crap (ie. the Nolan Batman films). 

I loved Daredevil but this is just awful. Daredevil needed to be dark to fit the characters just as Batman needs to be dark.

May never says "I killed her" when Coulson's trying to get her out of her state of shock on the plane, only "I couldn't save her." I'm not saying it's a sure thing, just that it's a possibility.

This seems a bit much to go to the assumption that Mey didn't kill her, especially taking into account how much it changed her life..

This seems a bit much to go to the assumption that Mey didn't kill her, especially taking into account how much it changed her life..

Yeah, that whole thing is really inconclusive.  It could be that May killed her and ended up really shook up about it, or that she figured out she couldn't kill a child only to have someone teleport in and kill that child right in front of her.  Either way I can see how that could take its toll on someone, especially someone who probably never doubted herself. 

Either way would've been traumatic, especially with how she and the hubby were shown as wanting kids before it happened. We'll find out if/when her and Skye's mom end up face-to-face.

Finally finished Daredevil. I loved it. Not sure how much more can be said. A few specifics though.

Gao is super interesting. The scene where she abandons all pretense with Fisk is one of my favourites and her getting the drop on DD ruled. I hope she pops up again in Iron Fist.

As much as Matt/Foggy was great, I think the Fisk/Wesley relationship was the one that hit me hardest. Fisk in general was shockingly sympathetic. Dude was a monster but you could see how that was rooted in his humanity.

I sort of hated the big death orgy at the end. Lots of great characters wasted. Urich especially was kind of pointless except to make the good guys sad again. Also the quality of the show will not hide the fact they fridged a Latin woman and a black man to give angst to the core cast of white folks.

So noted, I liked the way the dominos fell in the end. All that strategy and it was some moves from DD and a few random moments of luck that bring it all down. Wesley dies because he's overconfident and trying to protect his friend. Fisk's empire crumbles because he can't control his emotions regarding three people. It feels more organic than most similar things I've seen and I really loved that.

Now we get The Hand for S2 right?

To Unholy Dragon:

I agree with your points on the fridging of the minority characters.  Probably unintentional, but yeah I think it sends the wrong message as well.  Plus, Ben Urich was the character they race-bended for the show.  Not that I have a problem with it.  Hall did a great job.  You can get away with race-bending a character like Urich without people complaining because he's a supporting player and a marginal character to the whole mainline Marvel Universe.  However, the one guy played by an accomplished black actor in a main cast mainly full of primarily white actors and he is the one that gets killed.  Yeah that didn't work for me or make sense.  

It's hard to see where they are going with season 2.  Defenders will probably have to come first.  I would say the Hand and Stick's business with "Stone" will have something to do with Defenders.  One imagines season two has to be Kingpin getting his revenge against Murdock.  However, I don't think you can go straight to Born Again for season two.  Season One basically leaves Nelson, Murdock and Page in a good place.  Page isn't exactly in a place where she goes off the deep end yet to betray Murdock, especially when he's still in the friend zone stage.