DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

RIPPA

Boom.  Second season already happening.  2016 sounds like a quick turnaround though.  Granted, this show was only a few months removed from completion of principal production to the Netflix launch.

Looking at Petrie's filmography, his background seems decent enough to get a showrunner promotion for this series.  Marco Ramirez has also worked as a writer/producer on Da Vinci's Demons, IMHO a good but not great show.  It's reasonably fun.  I am a little disappointed that Steven DeKnight isn't coming back.  His serving as the showrunner really helped get me behind the show and makes me believe that's why the show pushed the envelope so much in terms of content.

These are my two concerns. Going to be big expectations on season two with how brilliant the first series of Daredevil is.

Is it possible this is the tv show Brubaker will be working oN that he cant talk about?

Wouldn't Iron First be more likely?

That'd be awesome.  Ed Brubaker co-wrote what was IMHO one of the definitive and best runs ever of Iron Fist, and he did a great job with Daredevil.

Style of the Brubaker/Fraction run is probably what they are going for with the Iron Fist show anyway.

I'm hoping they pull from the Brubaker/Fraction run as well for Iron Fist.

• Like 1

Is it possible this is the tv show Brubaker will be working oN that he cant talk about?

Wouldn't Iron First be more likely?

That'd be awesome. Ed Brubaker co-wrote what was IMHO one of the definitive and best runs ever of Iron Fist, and he did a great job with Daredevil.

Style of the Brubaker/Fraction run is probably what they are going for with the Iron Fist show anyway.

Brubaker wrote "The Devil in Cell Block D" though, which is my favorite Daredevil arc. I would love Season 3 to be centered around that.

So...I guess I'm the only one watching Agents of Shield?  If so, that's fine.  And honestly, the past two episodes have been mainly them setting up a bigger event going on.  Next week is likely the start of that.  But it's still fun to watch even though it's not Daredevil (which I still need to finish)

Biggest thing I kinda love about Daredevil is while they're not presenting Fisk as a good guy in any way, he's convinced he's right, which is a good villian, but he's not a good guy.  But the humanizing of him is something I'm diging, at least as far as Vanessa and his mother are concerned.  Something I think is missing from other stories. 

• Like 1

Biggest thing I kinda love about Daredevil is while they're not presenting Fisk as a good guy in any way, he's convinced he's right, which is a good villian, but he's not a good guy.  But the humanizing of him is something I'm diging, at least as far as Vanessa and his mother are concerned.  Something I think is missing from other stories. 

I also like that Wilson Fisk believes he's doing the right thing. One of my favourite moments from Daredevil is Shadows in the Glass (episode #9) when Wilson Fisk tells Vanessa he wears his Dad’s cufflinks to remind him he’s not cruel for the sake of cruelty and says he's not a monster followed by "Am I"?

The difference between Daredevil and everything else Marvel puts out is that the movies and, I guess to a lesser extent, AoS are designed to appeal to everyone on planet Earth. You pour $300 million into something, everyone in the world has to be able to like it.

Daredevil, meanwhile, knows it's not going to be for everyone and is fine with it. It's not cookie cutter.

It's weird when a Netflix/Marvel show almost enters the levels of "art" but here we are....

Daredevil finale:

THE SUIT!  The suit moment was amazing!  And the last fight was pretty well done, considering how they had to work around D'onfrio's physical limitations.

Daredevil finale:

THE SUIT!  The suit moment was amazing!  And the last fight was pretty well done, considering how they had to work around D'onfrio's physical limitations.

Agree with you again (outta likes). That fight was probably my second favourite from the whole show only behind THAT hallway one.

So...I guess I'm the only one watching Agents of Shield?  If so, that's fine.  And honestly, the past two episodes have been mainly them setting up a bigger event going on.  Next week is likely the start of that.  But it's still fun to watch even though it's not Daredevil (which I still need to finish)

I commented on it last week. This week was a pretty good episode - mostly because they stuck to the interesting characters (Fitz, Ward, Coulson, Hyde, Daisy) and kinda back-burnered the boring stuff with Faux Shield and Inhuman Shangra-La.

I gotta commend them on the job they've done with Ward. I hated him in S1 but now his appearances are always a highlight. It helps that they basically copied the Wesley arc from Angel - Dalton isn't as good an actor as Alexis Denisof and didn't start out as a bumbling goof but his Beard Acting is totally on point.

It'll be interesting how they acknowledge AoU because I'm guessing they'll have what 2-3 episodes to air after the movie hits here in the states?

So...I guess I'm the only one watching Agents of Shield? If so, that's fine. And honestly, the past two episodes have been mainly them setting up a bigger event going on. Next week is likely the start of that. But it's still fun to watch even though it's not Daredevil (which I still need to finish)

I commented on it last week. This week was a pretty good episode - mostly because they stuck to the interesting characters (Fitz, Ward, Coulson, Hyde, Daisy) and kinda back-burnered the boring stuff with Faux Shield and Inhuman Shangra-La.

I gotta commend them on the job they've done with Ward. I hated him in S1 but now his appearances are always a highlight. It helps that they basically copied the Wesley arc from Angel - Dalton isn't as good an actor as Alexis Denisof and didn't start out as a bumbling goof but his Beard Acting is totally on point.

It'll be interesting how they acknowledge AoU because I'm guessing they'll have what 2-3 episodes to air after the movie hits here in the states?

Ward is 100% awesome. Everytime he shows up now after being gone for awhile, I usually let a "Oh shit!" go pretty loudly. To no one in my apartment.

I read an article somewhere that said

Defenders are showing up in Avengers: Infinity Part II

I forget where I read it so it could be bullshit but I hope it's true. It'd be awesome.

All just Twitter nonsense so far.

Cobie Smulders is supposed to be on the show very soon, and Jed Whedon said something will be introduced on the show that will carry over into Age of Ultron.

P.S. I'm still very much a fan of Agents of SHIELD, and I still think it's the most important TV show Marvel has (even if it stumbles sometimes).

If they led with the interesting stuff instead of saving it for swerves then maybe they would have kept that pilot audience.

True. But I don't think they intentionally started bad, just took awhile to find their footing. They were probably too conservative when ratings were high. Didn't wanna rock the boat or anything. But then they dipped, and they said, "Fuck it, let's go crazy!"