DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase II Discussion

RIPPA

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. Insisting that he should be on the VIP list to Reed and Sue's wedding.

I forget exactly which Spider-man movie it was, but the one where Stan is working in a library or something and has headphones on, completely oblivious to the carnage going on behind him. Spidey and the villain are having an ECW brawl back there, with various furniture being heaved around and webbing just barely catching the various flying debris right before it would've crushed poor Stan. And all played with no sound effects, just the music Lee's listening to, which was a neat artistic touch.

• Like 1

I forget exactly which Spider-man movie it was, but the one where Stan is working in a library or something and has headphones on, completely oblivious to the carnage going on behind him. Spidey and the villain are having an ECW brawl back there, with various furniture being heaved around and webbing just barely catching the various flying debris right before it would've crushed poor Stan. And all played with no sound effects, just the music Lee's listening to, which was a neat artistic touch.

Amazing Spider-man.

I'm fond of him playing an actual Marvel character in Fantastic Four.

That's mine, too. Really that scene/cameo was the high point and only reason to watch either of those reboot shitfests. I also liked him playing Willie Lumpkin in FF.

Weird that I really don't like any non Marvel studios Marvel films (outside the X-Men franchise) yet they have the best Stan Lee cameos (the wedding scene thing also was really good). If I had to pick one from Marvel, yeah, I guess I'd go with the GotG one.

Although I'm kinda bummed Gunn didn't get to go with his original idea which was to have Stan sitting in a glass case in the Collector's lair. Now THAT would've been the best one of them all.

Although I'm kinda bummed Gunn didn't get to go with his original idea which was to have Stan sitting in a glass case in the Collector's lair. Now THAT would've been the best one of them all.

Agreed. Weird that the movie also had a Lloyd Kaufman cameo, too. If they'd somehow managed to include Mel Brooks as well, then all three tiny old Jewish artist guys from NYC who all shaped my 12-year-old sense of humor would have been in the same movie, and I suppose the universe might've imploded from such a paradox.

I'm enjoying them while I can because I can't imagine there will be that many more.

Diito. Poor guy's gonna die someday, it's nice to have these cameos (especially since he has such a self-deprecating sense of humor) in the massively popular franchise that he helped invent.

We went to go see Ant-Man last night. It was pretty fucking good. I liked it more than Age of Ultron as well and I liked Age of Ultron quite a bit. It was just a lot of fun and Paul Rudd and Michael Douglas are up there with just about all of the Guardians of the Galaxy as far as best new additions to the MCU goes, or rather, additions the MCU needs.

• Like 2

i want to see everyone's rankings of Stan Lee's cameos. Plus a reminder of what said cameo was, since i don't really remember most of them.

off the top of my head, my favorite was Avengers 2 (or Thor 1. is that the one where he tries to lift the hammer with a truck?) and my least fave was Ant-Man.

I'll do that next on my own PC with more time. Top off my head the best Stan Lee cameo was Avengers Assemble with Iron Man and Avengers: Age of Ultron. Ant-Man was one of the worst, Thor: The Dark World also.

1. Superhero skeptic. Avengers Assemble (2012)

2. Hugh Heffner. Iron Man (2008)

3. Army veteran. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)

4. Truck driver. Thor (2011)

5. Security guard. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

6. Gamma Rays bottle drinker. The Incredible Hulk (2008)

7. Army General. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

8. Beauty pagent judge. Iron Man 3 (2013)

9. Ladies man. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

10. Bartender. Ant-Man (2015)

11. Larry King. Iron Man 2 (2010)

12. Mental hospital patient. Thor: The Dark World (2013)

I'm enjoying them while I can because I can't imagine there will be that many more.

Diito. Poor guy's gonna die someday, it's nice to have these cameos (especially since he has such a self-deprecating sense of humor) in the massively popular franchise that he helped invent.

Me three. Always look forward to them.

• 3 weeks later...

I was fine with that scene. Frequently in comic book stories, Marvel heroes will run into other heroes for some reason or another.  They get into a quick scuffle and move on with their day.  I like that we can see similar events occur in movies now.  

It's just another reason I don't really get why they were so steadfast to stick with Edgar Wright's basic take on the material since his ideas go back to 2006 and 2007 before the MCU really took shape.  

When Thor started, they were going to have the whole thing set on Asgard and Matthew Vaughn was going to direct that story.  Obviously it made less sense to keep Thor Asgard-bound if the idea is to get him to Midgard to want to protect it.

• Like 1