DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase II Discussion

RIPPA

Given his ties to the FF and retroactively being a mutant, he's probably a Quicksilver situation which means no one's likely to touch him.

The Marvel Heroes team have repeatedly said thst Namur is a "legal no-go for now" and they have everything from both movie fiefdoms, so the rights (at least for gsmes) must be seriously fucked.

He was just released in the card game Legendary last week though. Namor is weird.

Given his ties to the FF and retroactively being a mutant, he's probably a Quicksilver situation which means no one's likely to touch him.

The Marvel Heroes team have repeatedly said thst Namur is a "legal no-go for now" and they have everything from both movie fiefdoms, so the rights (at least for gsmes) must be seriously fucked.
He was just released in the card game Legendary last week though. Namor is weird.

Namor's rights belong to Universal apparently. Some of these rights issues can give you a headache... James Gunn said that Kang's rights belong to Fox which doesn't make sense because he should be an Avengers property and Ronan, Klaw and the Inhumans are in the MCU, but they are Fantastic Four all day long. It wouldn't surprise me if Abigail Brand and Dr. Nemesis were MCU properties for some reason.

Kang being in the Fox balliwick is based on the fact that Rama-Tut, Immortus, Iron Lad and Kang are all the same person (Nathaniel Richards II) at different points in his life. While Kang is more important to the Avengers than Immortus/Rama-Tut is to the FF mythos, if the FF license explicitly included him it's not dumb or anything. I'm more surprised that Black Panther *wasn't* in that package, frankly (and Klaw was presumably attached to Panther).

Dr. Nemesis would be a weird situation simply because I'm fairly sure he's public domain.  I wouldn't be shocked if both camps were allowed to use him, though it would surprise me if Disney wanted to.

It makes no sense to me that Marvel can have Quicksilver, Fox can have Quicksilver, but Marvel can't use Kang.

These deals make no sense.

I think (though this is just semi-educated fan conjecture, no sources or anything) that it's a situation where someone at Marvel had the foresight to specifically make Pietro and Wanda non-exclusive in the Fox license, but nobody in legal really thought through the implications of giving Fox exclusive rights to Immortus until it was too late. Like, Kang wasn't on "the list" so nobody really considered that they were losing Kang by selling off Morty.

ETA: That is literally the only way I can conceive of it happening.

• Like 1

It makes no sense to me that Marvel can have Quicksilver, Fox can have Quicksilver, but Marvel can't use Kang.

These deals make no sense.

I think (though this is just semi-educated fan conjecture, no sources or anything) that it's a situation where someone at Marvel had the foresight to specifically make Pietro and Wanda non-exclusive in the Fox license, but nobody in legal really thought through the implications of giving Fox exclusive rights to Immortus until it was too late. Like, Kang wasn't on "the list" so nobody really considered that they were losing Kang by selling off Morty.

ETA: That is literally the only way I can conceive of it happening.

Or Marvel actually can use Kang but made the active choice to not use him to avoid sharing with Fox.

Finally saw Ant-Man........um........

I feel bad for such a great cast being stuck in such a boring and quite silly movie. This did seem like warmed over version of Iron Man. Can we retire the sleazy industrialist turned homicidal maniac villain now? Corey Stoll is a pale replacement for Jeff Bridges. The action scenes were well done, but if you saw the trailer, you pretty much got it all.

The Avengers tie-in was so ham-fisted I'm surprised the date of the next movie didn't flash across the screen during the Falcon fight. Speaking of the Falcon, way to make him look like an absolute useless goober. Such a shame, since he is one of the few characters in these movies that's been given a personality other than "snarky one-liners".

The Avengers bases go into high alert when something the size of an ant lands on the roof of warehouse? I'd hate to see what happens when a fly shows up at a company picnic.

Maybe I was spoiled by Guardians and Cap 2 or maybe I'm just burnt out on this universe, but I've found this, Ultron, Thor 2 and IM3 to be slogs to get through.

PLUS THEY KILLED A BABY GOAT! FUCK THIS MOVIE!

(I will say, I'd be all in on a sequel exploring the sub-atomic universe.)

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGcJxv9xVlM

Just persevere with the frequent annoying "Avengers: Age of Ultron - Deleted Scenes - Part [insert number here]" cards.

http://whatculture.com/film/6-avengers-age-of-ultron-deleted-scenes-you-need-to-see.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj42IgV6-Ks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

UlQ8vzv.gif

Best fight scene in the MCU movies.

Watched Ant-Man over the weekend with my kid and the second best fight scene IMO is Hope training Scott Lang in the martial arts.  The punches she threw were wonderfully crisp and Rudd's wobble legged stun routine sold the strikes beautifully.

I also loved the Ant-Man vs. Falcon brawl that some seem to hate and also loved Ant-Man's crew.  Kurt the hacker dude was the same guy that played one of the Joker's flunkies in TDK, so not sure how I missed putting that in the Surprise Casting Thread.

I found Ant-Man to be even more enjoyable without the collateral chatter of an audience around me.  I still hold the opinion that it was pretty cheap to get canned heat for Yellowjacket by having him put Scott's daughter in peril, but it really sold the adverse effect of the Pym Particles on the mind of a guy who was a prime douchebag and already had epic daddy issues.

Cross doing something that will get Cassie killed if Scott doesn't stop it goes all the way back to the original "To Steal an Ant-Man" story (in that version, he was holding hostage the only doctor who could perform heart surgery she needed in the comic, kidnapped Cassie herself in the EMH adaptation).  It's kind of interesting how the movie inverts the story from the comics and cartoons; instead of Scott stealing the gear to rescue a kidnap victim, and Hank giving his blessing afterward, Hank runs a long con with the specific intention of recruiting Scott, and Cassie has to be rescued as a result.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Watched AoU yesterday while helping my kid with her homework via Skype.  For all of the backlash against "Nolanism" and comic book stories being unnecessarily dark and foreboding, I think that AoU would've been 100000% better if Ultron had kept the sinister tone displayed the trailers.  

I think that lightening Ultron up with gallows humor did him a bit of a disservice.  He should've been played straight.  Ultron being driven by father issues and the cruel calculus of worldwide genocide for the sake of world peace would've been far more effective.

• Like 1

I like Spader's work on Ultron, but I always read his stories with a grating metallic screeching voice, like Skeletor in the cartoons, maybe even some decibel of the Judge Doom reveal.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As Captain America: Civil War (2016) is released in the UK this Friday, I thought I’d revisit the first two films in the trilogy. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) from Marvel Phase Two.

Since the subtitle to Captain America: The Winter Soldier was revealed at San Diego Comic-Con 2012, it was the film of any I most looked forward to mainly because of the source material by Ed Brubaker but also for Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes, Captain America: The First Avenger, Avengers Assemble (the movie, not the animated series with the same name) and the other Captain America books I’ve read by Brubaker. Captain America: The Winter Soldier is great, the best Marvel Studios Phase Two film, the best Marvel Cinematic Universe sequel and one of Marvel Studios best films in the top tier with Avengers Assemble/Iron Man.

The film is a political thriller mixed with a comic book film. I had a Jason Bourne feeling which as a big fan of that trilogy, played well with me. There’s a shot in the film which was in The Bourne Identity/The Bourne Ultimatum which made me smile. Captain America: The Winter Soldier addresses themes of security with those in power, how far is too far etc. The fallout with S.H.I.E.L.D. and HYDRA’s infiltration of it is a big development for this film, others and in TV’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. There were gasps at the screening when the Winter Soldier loses his face mask in action having had to previously take off his cracked goggles and you see its James “Bucky” Barnes. This film has the best action in the Marvel Cinematic Universe films. My main complaint about the film is not having more Winter Soldier screen time. I’d have liked to have seen more of him, his creation and his previous actions. Out of the individual solo franchises, Captain America is by far the most consistent for quality.

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

The Winter Soldier is great, the best Marvel Studios Phase Two film, the best Marvel Cinematic Universe sequel and one of Marvel Studios best films in the top tier with Avengers Assemble/Iron Man.

Seems to me that the consensus opinion is that the top 3 MCU films are Winter Soldier, Avengers, and GotG.  Iron Man is well regarded, but it seems rare that it gets above #4 on people's lists.

(don't get me wrong -- you're entitled to have whatever you want in your own top tier)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tigertooth said:

Seems to me that the consensus opinion is that the top 3 MCU films are Winter Soldier, Avengers, and GotG.  Iron Man is well regarded, but it seems rare that it gets above #4 on people's lists.

(don't get me wrong -- you're entitled to have whatever you want in your own top tier)

When I see MCU top three rankings, it's usually Avengers Assemble, Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy. Guardians of the Galaxy is one of those films well regarded by the majority but I disagree. I HATED the flashbacks to Star-Lord's Mum just a month after my situation as did my Dad, my best friend was so apologetic for not letting us know. I don't like sci-fi with a few exceptions, each Guardian getting a near death experience and I felt the film went on too long. I know I'm in the few to all viewpoint. Captain America: The Winter Soldier is better and so was X-Men: Days of Future Past, a non MCU entry.

3 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I go Avengers/First Avenger/Winter Soldier/Age/Guardians/Iron Man, personally.

Avengers Assemble, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Iron Man, Captain America: The First Avenger and Ant-Man for me.