DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase II Discussion

RIPPA

I want a Falcon solo movie so bad. Anthony Mackie is just the fucking best.

I like Anthony Mackie's Falcon as well. Marvel must be happy with him having made four MCU appearances in such a short space of time.

My other solo movie wishes:

The Incredible Hulk though there's a reason that's hasn't happened

Black Widow

Winter Soldier

Loki

Surprised when the Marvel Phase Three films were announced, a Black Widow one wasn't among them.

I think when they start really putting Thor 3 together, they'll realise that it's probably their final movie with Hiddlestone, and give him close to equal screen time as Thor gets.

Surprised when the Marvel Phase Three films were announced, a Black Widow one wasn't among them.

I'm not. Hollywood's "rules of how this business is supposed to work" insists that summer blockbuster audiences are terrified of protagonists with vaginas. In eleven years of movies both finished and planned, they don't have a single one without a man in the lead role. Heck, every featured female hero is either just one member of a large ensemble, or the lead hero's girlfriend.

Is that why the Hunger Games movies come out on March or November?

If the logic is People won't go to see a film with a female lead between April and September, but the rest of the year they will... then that's really, really stupid.

I'm not. Hollywood's "rules of how this business is supposed to work" insists that summer blockbuster audiences are terrified of protagonists with vaginas. In eleven years of movies both finished and planned, they don't have a single one without a man in the lead role. Heck, every featured female hero is either just one member of a large ensemble, or the lead hero's girlfriend.

You know a Captain Marvel movie was part of Phase 3, right????

You know a Captain Marvel movie was part of Phase 3, right????

Are we completely sure it's Danvers and not Mar-Vell, Noh-Varr, or any of the other seemingly dozens of Captain Marvels?

And if it is Danvers, why give HER a movie, out of every single female character in the entire Marvel universe? I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I doubt that her comics sell better than every other one featuring a woman in a cape.

but you can take back the crap where you insinuated everyone is a sexist now.

In a world where, out of 22 MCU films, one has a female lead? Hell no, I ain't taking back a damn thing, because the movie industry is still plenty sexist.

If you want a superhero movie led by a female character, and chosen based off of how well the books sell, I guess you're going to be watching Star Wars in December. Or waiting on a Kamala Khan movie. Or waiting on Natalie Portman to become Thor.

I don't see what your problem is with the Captain Marvel movie, but okayyyy.

EDIT: And before you even say Kamala Khan should have been the female behind Captain Marvel, I don't even follow comics that much and I know who Carol Danvers is. I have little to no clue who Khan is, or anything about the book. I'm sure name recoginition, however little it may be, played a big part in the choice. This is a weird argument.

There is no way it won't be Danvers.  She is "Captain Marvel" now in pretty much all forms of media.  Kamala Khan is Ms. Marvel, so she's not even Captain Marvel.

Personally, my choice would be Genus, but his atoms are spread across space or something, and he's been gone for almost 10 years.  

If they made it someone other than Danvers, the media would lynch Marvel Studios at this point.

Me: I doubt that Captain Marvel sells better than every other female-led title.

Y'all: WHY DO YOU HATE CAROL DANVERS WITH EVERY MOLECULE OF YOUR BEING?

And if you don't read the comics, how would you know Danvers? From the cartoons, I guess? She was never even a main character in those...

It seems like she is being positioned as the #1 female character by marvel. Shes was in the Avengers cartoon iirc and has been front and center in the 616 it feels.

I guess Widow or Storm would be the big female character for those only consuming movies for last 10-15 years. Wasp fell down that list while she was dead. Maybe same with Jean. Who does that leave - wanda, rogue, spider-woman, she hulk?

Once again, the problem comes that so many characters have their rights held by non-Marvel studios. I'd say that several of the female X-men are among the most compelling female heroes in the entire 616, but of course the MCU sadly can't use them.

Hey, come to think of it, who owns Namor? It's weird that such a high-profile top star of the Silver Age hasn't been used in any screen adaptations.

Given his ties to the FF and retroactively being a mutant, he's probably a Quicksilver situation which means no one's likely to touch him.

The Marvel Heroes team have repeatedly said thst Namur is a "legal no-go for now" and they have everything from both movie fiefdoms, so the rights (at least for gsmes) must be seriously fucked.