DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Having great matches with The Shield, Daniel Bryan, and John Cena isn't the hardest degree of difficulty out there, either.

Thank you.  The fact that you guys have to use matches and moments that happened six months ago or more should be a partial hint that he isn't the megastar some of you are making him out to be.  Bray needs to grow and expand on what he started with and not just do the same few things over and over.  You can get away with that when you're a top guy.  And after the Cena feud, he should be the #1 or #2 heel.  But he's not.  He needs to take what he has and add to it, give it another dimension.  You can't just say "follow the buzzards" and sing manically without ever really following up on it before people start to get tired of it.  Really, has he cut any memorable promo in the last four months?  He just says the same random nothing over and over now.  You're just all waxing nostalgia over WrestleMania and the Shield feud.

And I like Bray.  But he's been coasting.  He should be building on what he's done to get to the next level, and he isn't.  Jericho literally came in just to work a program with him and it did nothing for him at all.  And I know the obvious response is "Jericho sucks" but if Bray was as great as you guys say, he should have been better than Jericho and with his talents made the matches and the feud better. But when given mediocre angles and matches, so far he just sinks to that level rather than making it better.

I don't really see what he can do if no one sells a beating, he can't tie people to crosses or anything too weird, and his Family are jobbed out. Truthfully, he isn't a miracle worker in the ring which is a pity but hardly a crime - and he's performed better than Reigns in singles matches.

The basic problem is the crowd wanted to turn him, but not so much Harper and Rowan. And The Shield had just turned so the timing wasn't right. The other problem is them getting rid of the World Heavyweight Title, which was still fucking stupid. Wyatt needed that title, or at least to go after it. There only being one MITB briefcase (which I am more sympathetic to) also hurt him, because Wyatt with the briefcase would have been awesome.

I think he's better off taking a break and letting Harper take centre stage for a bit. Is Rowan going back to NXT? Kind of a pity if so because he's got better, but there's a lot of potential too so if he's not doing anything worthwhile he may be better off in Florida.

• Like 1

The problem with the Wyatts was it was not going anywhere. It has been over a year and there was no explanation of what Bray was or where he came from. 

I fucking hate this line of thinking, lack of exposition is a shit criticism. Why do you need to know? You've gone 24 years without knowing what the Undertaker is or where he came from

I agree he should've gone over Cena (if not at WM then the following PPV) just to give him some shine and show he's a threat. However, I think it's the Jericho fued that has harmed him more than anything

• Like 1

I don't think creative is capable of developing mid-upper mid characters anymore...in reference to not knowing what Wyatt is about. I thought they actually did a better job with him than most in the past five years. Cesaro...European guy who throws an uppercut...Sheamus...pale Irish guy who likes to fight. Not much to get behind if they never get promo time. If Rusev didn't have Lana (who they want to get on camera as much as possible), he'd be less over than Boris Zhukov.

• Like 1

Did anyone really think the Wyatt shtick had a long shelf life? Granted, these days two years is a long time for a gimmick to stay the same, but come on.

And everyone bring up matches with DB, the Shield and Cena, aren't suppose to be good/great matches by default? Outside of creative getting involved and throwing a gimmick that didn't need to be introduced, those six guys six months ago we're going to give us a good match.

Bray would have been fine if the Jericho feud had any of the awesome sheep's mask type of stuff that he did against Cena. The only cool stuff he really did was make Jericho bleed from the ear, which pales in comparison to using a children's choir.

The announce team not being able to explain Bray's journey is the problem. He's explaining it quite fine, and it's really easy to understand if you've ever paid a lick of attention to theology or radical thought. It's just that the vast majority WWE Universe can't be expected to understand his Biblical references and the like. Bray needs a Greek chorus to explain his material to the proles.

• Like 3

I was always horrified of the idea that they might let one of the writers decide to create some shitty backstory for Bray.

Here's all you need to know, based on Bray's Twitter and a bit of common sense: Husky Harris took a visit to the swamp on a day off down in Florida, got possessed by a demon, and then started a cult with some big backwoods sumbitches.  He came back to NXT with his cult a bit later and management was all, "Husky, where you been, you're FIRRRR...oh hey, look, big guys!  Sign'em!" 

• Like 1

Man, Bray really should have squashed Jericho like a bug in just one PPV. That feud dragging out did as much to hurt him as the Cena one. No one should be having trouble with Chris Jericho at this point, especially not the Eater of fucking Worlds. Jericho has no shine left to give.

That "Bray doesn't care about wins or losses" stuff hurts him, too - it makes sense from a character standpoint, but it would only be effective if the rest of the roster cared about wins or losses. Which they do not.

• Like 2

Well, that escalated quickly. 

Bray has been on the roster for a little over a year. He's once in a generation talent on the mic and above average in the ring. 

Yes, creative took away his buzz. Mistakes were made. But it's way too early to write him off. 

• Like 2

If it's true they will be facing each other, there is no way Ambrose goes over Cena at HITC? Right?

I don't doubt Jericho came back for his short run with the intention of getting Bray over, but can guys like Jericho who can talk and plan out a program do enough in such a short time frame for young up and coming guys?

Reading the Reddit's with MetsFan and some former writers basically saying Vince doesn't get it at all anymore is a bummer. We all think HHH might be able to get things going again but it seems so far off and even HHH probably has a lot more to learn.

Side Note: Watched the SCSA episode of the Monday Night Wars, then watched Clips of Ambrose in the ring with all the free T-Shirts and that good "I don't give a shit promo" (Which I loved he wasn't afraid of Mercury and Gibson).

Anyway, during the SCSA ep. they showed the crowd with the big White Signs with black text for AUSTIN, then during the Ambrose promo, same thing Big white baords and AMBROSE spelled by a bunch of dudes. Thought that was really cool.

Watching the SCSA also reminded me to be more patient with guys like Ambrose. They can't just put him over Brock and give him the title now... he's great but he can get better and better.

(This post sucks, sorry)

If it's true they will be facing each other, there is no way Ambrose goes over Cena at HITC? Right?

I don't know man, I got a feeling he will. Especially if Ambrose's incoming attack on Cena (that has to happen this Monday) gets as big of a reaction as I think it will. What city are they in for Raw this week?

• Like 1

I think part of the tepid reaction towards the Bray/Cena feud was that the storyline was uninspired and a few times bordered on cheesy and that most people knew Bray wasn't going to come out on top in the end so there was no motivation to really get invested in the program.  The matches weren't anything great, but I find Cena mediocre at best unless he's wrestling someone considerably better than he is.  The Jericho feud also had a halfassed storyline and even though Jericho is one of my favorite wrestlers of all time, his latest run hasn't produced a ton of decent matches.  IMO, Wrestlemania should have featured some kind of cage or other gimmick match as a blowoff between them and the Shield, followed by a program where he steamrolls some guy.  Jericho would have been fine for this, as long as like someone mentioned it above it lasted about one ppv and ended really in Bray's favor.

Keeping them off tv for a while and just in some promos is the best thing for him, as long as they find a way to bring him back strong.  Which I'm incredibly dubious about, given creative's track record for the past year.  I also don't get people bagging on his size/build, he's pretty much the exact same size as Hacksaw and pulls out some crazy power moves every now and then.

Man, Bray really should have squashed Jericho like a bug in just one PPV. That feud dragging out did as much to hurt him as the Cena one. No one should be having trouble with Chris Jericho at this point, especially not the Eater of fucking Worlds. Jericho has no shine left to give.

That "Bray doesn't care about wins or losses" stuff hurts him, too - it makes sense from a character standpoint, but it would only be effective if the rest of the roster cared about wins or losses. Which they do not.

This was my problem.  Jericho should have been used to put Bray over and have him push Jericho off TV so he can return to concert tours.  Bray removes someone from TV getting his heat back in the process.