DVDVR Message Board

WWE 2k15

RonL21

I blame the incompetent people who sign off on everything, thinking what they're doing is okay.  I swear it's like they have that disorder where you can't recognize human faces or something.  I actually like the gameplay, but these guys really, really suck at life at this point as far as putting out an overall product.  They get so many little things so horribly wrong.'

Yeah, I know WWE does too and it's kind of fitting but that's not what I mean.

It's like, talk to a fan for five minutes and they'd say "Hey man, putting Sid in but not letting you play as him is a fucking stupid idea."  In fact, this happened when they announced the packs.  Pack comes out?  No playable Sid, but don't worry guys, we get General Adnan, the man we've been waiting for.

I miss when we had wrestling games that weren't so halfassed.  I hope with the recent resurgence of wrestling in Japan that we might get an alternative in the future.

What's funny is they could've skipped the problem of putting Sid in but not letting you ever use him by just having the Rumble 91' match in there.

Of course there is a little bit of joy that the last Showcase match is Warrior vs. Hunter

Back when 2K picked up the rights to the WWE games and everyone got all excited because 2K was making the WWE games, I kept pointing out that isn't how it works. 2K is only publishing the game. What you're seeing is the same stuff put out by people that were on the Yukes staff. I have a friend who works in the video games industry and they said we'll never get a different WWE game until the the people brought over from Yukes and the new people brought in to help them are all sacked. Yukes' imprint just transfers over to anyone new working on these games, so the problems just continue to perpetuate. Another point he brought up is that there was a brief window where legit change was possible when All-Stars was made. All-Stars used the Unreal Engine, meaning you had more freedom with animations and less issues with clipping. Unfortunately, no one is going to put in the time to using Unreal for the flagship WWE game, so you're just going to be stuck with this shit. He did mention it was possible that this was growing pains, moving from one generation to the next, because his team experienced it too, but given how it's the same problems as before, we're likely to continue seeing these problems.

• Like 1

I don't blame Yukes so much because all they are only doing is what they are directed to do. If I recall correctly. the NJPW games Yukes made are supposed to be quite good. These games suck more than anything else because of the annual schedule. i think you would see a sizable change if WWE ever decided to give them an extra year.

As much as I'd like to see what's left of Spike get their shit together and make another Firepro game, I played the last one and it was fucking terrible and should never be spoken of again (the XBL avatar Firepro)

That game wasn't an elaborate joke?

The New Japan games were decent but couldn't hold a candle to the AKI games.

I can't envision a world where Vine or 2K would okay missing out on millions every other year or even just once in order to put out a better product.

In the ideal world they would take a longer cycle one year and make the game a pre-WrestleMania release, if they have to make it yearly at least give them one 16 month cycle somewhere in the middle to make some of the changes the game needs.  I mean they won't do that, especially not as long as people are still buying it, but it would be nice.  I ended up cancelling my pre-order and skipping this year, I am strictly on a year by year basis.  I'd like to get it, but it just depends on how it looks and what they've done to it that makes me decide.  I did Red Box it one night my brother was in town, enjoyed the general game play of it as it isn't a bad game at all.  It just isn't different enough than last years and some of the graphics are still weird.

I picked it back up again after months off to play POW. Game still sucks.

Yeah, let's use the current Hogan face for 1990 Hogan. Perfect. They didn't even try on Savage. Like, not at all. And they still refuse to make an actual MSG arena. Side entrances my ass.

They did a good job with Warrior's outfits and crazy color schemes. That's the biggest compliment I can give it.

lol at it having 8 matches but two of them are vs Honky and HHH - I thought the HTM quicktime event was the introductory cutscene and then it was like "1/8 completed", thanks for letting me experience that guys, I couldn't have just put it on the network and pressed triangle twice while it was happening

you can still have fun, good matches on this but the yearly cycle just means there's always a load of animations or mechanics that haven't been updated that you're just sick of the sight of - the main things I would want out of a longer dev cycle would be a fuckton of new reversal animations (like pretty much a wholesale replacement job) and a GM/Universe mode that works coherently, even if it was scaled back a bit from what's there now

I don't blame Yukes so much because all they are only doing is what they are directed to do. If I recall correctly. the NJPW games Yukes made are supposed to be quite good. These games suck more than anything else because of the annual schedule. i think you would see a sizable change if WWE ever decided to give them an extra year.

Re: Yukes and the NJPW games.  I remember the late 90s/early 2000s when I had a modded Playstation and NJPW1 & 2 were the just the fucking BEST wrestling games.  Seriously, you have to remember that the only other wrestling games for the system were horrible (the Acclaim WWF games and Nitro) or barely passable (WCW vs the World), with one bright spot being Power Move Pro Wrestling, a somewhat dumbed-down localization of NJPW 1.

Then I heard the NJPW team -- Yuke's -- was making a Smackdown game and I was so fucking excited.  And then we got what we got.  Simplified, awful control scheme that did away with NJPW's elegant paper/scissrs/rock controls, fewer gameplay options, worse graphics.  Amazing.

• Like 1

WCW vs NWO: World Tour, up thru WWF No Mercy, was a solid series of wrestling games that sold like hotcakes and is still revered to this day. how is it, 14 years later, that nobody has been able to update that system and put out games that are, you know, good?

it just blows my mind and reinforces my decision to not buy wrestling games anymore. thankfully my n64 is still functional.

King's Soul was hard. Plus the NJPW game on N64 had those sweet instruction booklet cartoons, like this (but on an instructional booklet, not a shirt!):

il_570xN.630559900_dcbm.jpg

Giant Gram 2000 fucking ruled though.

The Toukon Retsuden are really fun pick up and play games that gameplay-wise, have held up well on the PS1. The N64 pad just doesn't feel right for them though.

It's amazing to see these WWE releases and realize that they're running on A PS1 GAME ENGINE, and not even a good one. This engine was used for budget-level Japanese games and the B-level WWF games for the time. Toukon Retsuden's engine does a far better job simulating matches - although WK14 did finally brings things up to a mostly-solid level. I can have fun, compelling matches in that and I would recommend downloading as much as possible now, because 2K has taken down the servers for NBA 2K14, so this one might not be too far behind.

I actually have played more WCW/nWo Revenge than anything lately. I bought WWE 14 because I never played it when it came out, beat the WrestleMania moments stuff, downloaded a bunch of CAWs and arenas, and then promptly put it down.

I think this is pretty much how it's going to go as far as WWE yearly games. It's too bad that we can't at least get a good offshoot like All-Stars every once in awhile unless 2K wants to also put another team on doing arcade-style entries to the series.

Had to buy Path of the Warrior DLC because my inner 8-year-old self said so.

I'm a little disappointed with how Rick Rude looks. They did a great job with his tights but I don't know what's going on with his face.

It's a decent nostalgia trip so far though. I've got Macho next and I've heard he looks bad.

I still enjoy this game.  Finishing up the Punk v. Cena Showcase, then I'll probably do Warrior's.

I keep meaning to get the trophies associated with Universe, but every time I go to make a CAW I get frustrated over the lack of CAW parts and don't bother.

I'm actually enjoying the game, despite it's limitations. The gameplay is subtly better, what with the crawling to the ropes, the different ways of covering for the pins, etc. , but what I'm finding strange is there are a lot of seemingly obvious guys that you'd figure would be made as Community Creations that haven't been made, at least for the XBone. I've yet to find a Thatcher, Gulak, or Busick, and with those dudes being kinda the recent collective flavor of the month, you'd think SOMEONE would have made them by now.

The worst thing for me is just how many moveset options they've taken out. You could have a GIGANTIC moveset for guys using limb damage move slots, but now they've whittled that down to one spot instead of five, and it kills movesets. Plus, the whole medium/heavy system is a bitch to figure out and you can't really tell what move you're going to do before you do it.

I'm actually enjoying the game, despite it's limitations. The gameplay is subtly better, what with the crawling to the ropes, the different ways of covering for the pins, etc. , but what I'm finding strange is there are a lot of seemingly obvious guys that you'd figure would be made as Community Creations that haven't been made, at least for the XBone. I've yet to find a Thatcher, Gulak, or Busick, and with those dudes being kinda the recent collective flavor of the month, you'd think SOMEONE would have made them by now.

From what I've seen on the community creations area, they're mostly focused on NXT guys.  Those guys are obscure enough even on the indy scene that I'd be surprised if there were CAWs for them.

Also, the CAWs are so insanely limited, especially on face and size options, that making anyone accurately is going to be nigh-impossible.  I can't even come up with good looks for my own personal creations because they all come out looking nearly identical, especially in the face.

• 2 weeks later...

WWE 2K15 comes out on PC this Tuesday, and is on preorder on Steam for 10% off ($44.99 USD).

It won't have a retail release - Steam only - but will include all the DLC, except for Paige, who was a Showcase Pass console exclusive.

I'll end up getting it to see what the differences (if any) might be, while also hoping the mod community latches onto this one.

• Like 1