DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

How does the guy that got slapped handle it like a man after being slapped? There has to be some reciprocation right? Shoot Del RIo? Or is Del Rio getting fired enough? If so that is getting into irony territory.

How does the guy that got slapped handle it like a man after being slapped? There has to be some reciprocation right? Shoot Del RIo? Or is Del Rio getting fired enough? If so that is getting into irony territory.

That's a question one should ask themselves before they make a boneheaded/racist comment that they can't back up. Y'know...tugging on Superman's cape and all that.

• Like 1

What is the best casket match WWE has ever done? I'd think that it's either HBK/'Taker at Royal Rumble '98 or Mark Henry/'Taker at WrestleMania 22. Am I forgetting anything?

Taker/HBK by a billion miles. Probably my favorite match those two ever had. Might even be my favorite Undertaker match. Maybe Shawn's.

I wonder how different some of the comments here would be if it had been Mark Henry or one of the the other net faves pimp-slapping a pencil necked geek instead of ADR. Beyond wishing said geek's families their condolences on his untimely demise, obviously.

Considering I supported ADR slapping the dude, and I can't even stand to watch him work, not so different.

This is probably a case where we just don't know nearly enough of the true story.

Ha, you and your logic...

I started writing a post which was basically. "Well, if this happened, then..." and then "But on the other hand, if this happened, and this was just part of..." and at that point I realized how ridiculous this was getting.

That reminds me of something. Does anyone remember the series of anti-racism radio PSA's they used to do called "The power of one voice"?  They were amazing.  They used them to fill large chunks of unsold ad time so they were like a minute and a half.

There were two sets, one with a racist dude and one with a racist lady.  Each one had a group of friends in some situation and then one of them (Janice for the ladies I think and Steve for the guys) would start going all racist until one of the other friends told them to shut the fuck up.

The situations were so detailed, like they would talk for almost a minute before the racist part would start, like with full sound effects and everything...and they always ended the same.  The racist would do their bit and then say "Know what I mean, guys?"  and someone else would say "No, Steve.  We don't know what you mean!"

So, in my favorite one, you would hear like four ladies just talking at a restaurant for like a full minute and then all of the sudden Janice would be like "Hey, El Waiter!  More water Por pa vor!!!"  And another lady would be like "Janice, that man doesn't work here!" and Janice would go "Well who can tell them apart....KNOW WHAT I MEAN GUYS???" and the other lady would go "NO JANICE!  WE DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN!"

and then James Earl Jones would appear and say "THE POWER OF ONE VOICE."

I would mark the fuck out whenever one of these came on.  I would be like "Holy shit is it a Janice or a Steve!  Ooooh It's a Janice.  I wonder what race, ethnicity, or religion she is going to talk shit about today!"

There was one with Janice on the phone complaining about "Black names"  

"Why don't they just use normal names, know what I mean?"  
"No, Janice, I don't know what you mean!"  
{James Earl Jones} "THE POWER OF ONE VOICE."

For the guys they were going to a concert and after, I swear 80 seconds of just small talk suddenly Steve, the racist, didn't have money for a ticket and one of the other guys was like, "I'll pay for yours and you can get me back later."  And Steve was all, "But you're Jewish!  Hey, guys, when was the last time a Jew paid for something, KNOWWHATIMEAN!!!"

"No, Steve, We don't know what you mean!"

Anyway...they were fucking amazing and if I had the patience I would redo them all, but instead of James Earl Jones saying "THE POWER OF ONE VOICE." each one would end with Alberto del Rio slapping the shit out of them and then getting fired.

Radio drama is not dead.  There's BBC 4 and this.

• Like 11

I'm not sorry social media guy got slapped.

I am sorry social media guy hasn't gotten fired.

But I'd much rather live in a world where that can happen rather than one where someone doesn't get fired for slapping a co-worker, regardless of the provocation.

(I say, like we don't live in that world anyway. If Cena slapped the guy, the guy would get paid off, and Cena would get some counseling and a token fine.)

That reminds me of something. Does anyone remember the series of anti-racism radio PSA's they used to do called "The power of one voice"?  They were amazing.  They used them to fill large chunks of unsold ad time so they were like a minute and a half.

There were two sets, one with a racist dude and one with a racist lady.  Each one had a group of friends in some situation and then one of them (Janice for the ladies I think and Steve for the guys) would start going all racist until one of the other friends told them to shut the fuck up.

The situations were so detailed, like they would talk for almost a minute before the racist part would start, like with full sound effects and everything...and they always ended the same.  The racist would do their bit and then say "Know what I mean, guys?"  and someone else would say "No, Steve.  We don't know what you mean!"

So, in my favorite one, you would hear like four ladies just talking at a restaurant for like a full minute and then all of the sudden Janice would be like "Hey, El Waiter!  More water Por pa vor!!!"  And another lady would be like "Janice, that man doesn't work here!" and Janice would go "Well who can tell them apart....KNOW WHAT I MEAN GUYS???" and the other lady would go "NO JANICE!  WE DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN!"

and then James Earl Jones would appear and say "THE POWER OF ONE VOICE."

I would mark the fuck out whenever one of these came on.  I would be like "Holy shit is it a Janice or a Steve!  Ooooh It's a Janice.  I wonder what race, ethnicity, or religion she is going to talk shit about today!"

There was one with Janice on the phone complaining about "Black names"  

"Why don't they just use normal names, know what I mean?"  

"No, Janice, I don't know what you mean!"  

For the guys they were going to a concert and after, I swear 80 seconds of just small talk suddenly Steve, the racist, didn't have money for a ticket and one of the other guys was like, "I'll pay for yours and you can get me back later."  And Steve was all, "But you're Jewish!  Hey, guys, when was the last time a Jew paid for something, KNOWWHATIMEAN!!!"

"No, Steve, We don't know what you mean!"

Anyway...they were fucking amazing and if I had the patience I would redo them all, but instead of James Earl Jones saying "THE POWER OF ONE VOICE." each one would end with Alberto del Rio slapping the shit out of them and then getting fired.

Radio drama is not dead.  There's BBC 4 and this.

I don't understand where all the words you have come from. 

• Like 2

I don't remember the POWER OF ONE VOICE, but I do remember SQUASH IT, the seminal anti-violence campaign of my youth, that was so huge that an entire episode of 90210 was devoted to it. An episode that featured a scene that single handedly improved race relations to a point that Barack Obama could aspire to be the president he is today:

chc-squash.jpg

Maybe they didn't get 90210 in Mexico so that Alberto Del Rio could learn this valuable lesson of squashing a beef before it squashes you.

• Like 2

I totally remember those Janice and Steve ads. They were still on AM radio last year in Philly, which is the very definition of pissing in to the wind.

Does anyone remember the domestic violence PSA in which the husband starts beating the wife after he yells 'pizza? For dinner?!?!' It was on years ago. I never understood why the dude was so pissed. What is wrong with pizza for dinner? Also, I would guess that the vast majority of pizza is consumed for dinner. It's not as though pizza is predominantly a lunch or breakfast food.

• Like 4

I went to the Evolve/FIP double header show tonight in Orlando. Almost 6 hours of wrestling with only a 30 minute break. Both shows were really good with some awesome matches(Biff Busick/Timothy Thatcher, Juicy Product/Savages, Ivelisse/Rosa Negra were the best) It was good to see some ex WWE guys like Drew Galloway and Garrett Dylan there. Galloway had a huge bruise on his leg from his match with Chris Hero last night. He still wrestled a good match vs Tony Neese. I didn't realize that Drew was so tall cause he made Tony look like a mini.

There's something so bizarre about people regarding a guy who risks his life in the ring and a guy who sends Tweets as co-workers just because they receive checks from the same corporation.

• Like 1

I totally remember those Janice and Steve ads. They were still on AM radio last year in Philly, which is the very definition of pissing in to the wind.

Does anyone remember the domestic violence PSA in which the husband starts beating the wife after he yells 'pizza? For dinner?!?!' It was on years ago. I never understood why the dude was so pissed. What is wrong with pizza for dinner? Also, I would guess that the vast majority of pizza is consumed for dinner. It's not as though pizza is predominantly a lunch or breakfast food.

Well, there used to be a time when we ate actual food for dinner, not just some greasy take out that is closer in chemical composition to the slop fuel they eat in the Matrix. Maybe the husband was misguidedly and tragically projecting his insecurities about this new world order where a Happy Meal or a bowl of instant Mac n' Cheese was now the new normal for his class.  The days of steaks with a side of steamed carrots and peas and fresh baked rolls were now meant for the one percenters or the hippies who sacrifice necessities like cable television and high data transfers for cellular phones in order to obtain overpriced but local produce.

Perhaps this was where Alberto Del Rio was coming from, when he realized the plate this social media expert wanted him to scrape, was full of food that could have fed those lower class slobs like us who have to put up with Little Ceaser sized slices of destitution. 

• Like 5

There are known knowns; there are things that we know that we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

• Like 2

For the record, I understand both sides of the story. Del Rio should not have resorted to violence. Yet, I understand his frustration. I'm not physically aggressive, my temper is verbal. If someone says something completely uncalled for about myself or anyone I care for, the thought does enter my mind to be irrational, in retaliation. Del Rio's just happened to be racially driven.