DVDVR Message Board

2014 WORLD CUP THREAD

RIPPA

I've heard as many as 15,000 were on hand to watch in Kansas City's downtown viewing party. Being among them, it was certainly hard to tell. Amazing atmosphere, in any case. Predictably nuts for the final goal, given the delivery by Zusi. 

A great time, and a great result. Not at all a great performance, but oh well. On to Sunday, when we'll hopefully have more of the ball. 

I am expecting another U.S. win Sunday against the most overrated team in the tournament. While Ghana may have won the possession battle anyway, I think the first minute goal skewed the possession numbers and the U.S. got too comfortable protecting that lead. Portugal will control possession, but I think U.S. nails them multiple times on the counter. I think Portugal leaves Brazil with zero points.

Very curious to see what kind of team Klinsmann puts out there against Portugal. I'm not sure he can do the diamond again. A midfield 2 against Portugal seems like suicide, and Beasley against whatever's left of Nani's confidence is frightening as well.

It's kind of crazy how just a few days ago it was all "group of death.  USA will be lucky to finish 3rd."  But with how badly Portugal was beaten...a draw with them would nearly do it, wouldn't it?  Not that a draw with them will be easy but USA goes into that game with a mission.  One point.  And it's not impossible.

I think Nani is one of those players who showed some great potential very early and then got caught up in the hype. Too much coming his way too early. Generally, sports media makes the mistake in team sport to hype up the individuals. Of course some players are easy to get crazy over, but in the end a good collective effort wins over the individual performances, I´d always say.

Belgium are starting the tournament today. They have been hyped up a lot, they have quite a doable group. It will be interesting to see if their starts lives up to it, as they play Algeria. Those Algerians I honestly no nothing about. Brazil will probably beat Mexico and I will probably miss South Korea v Russia.

I greatly look forward to youtube vids of reactions to The game winner.

I've heard as many as 15,000 were on hand to watch in Kansas City's downtown viewing party. Being among them, it was certainly hard to tell. Amazing atmosphere, in any case. Predictably nuts for the final goal, given the delivery by Zusi. 

A great time, and a great result. Not at all a great performance, but oh well. On to Sunday, when we'll hopefully have more of the ball. 

• Like 1

The build to Mertens' winner was beautiful counter-attacking. As soon as it started you could see the numbers and then it was just a matter of him not screwing it up at the end. Lovely stuff.

It's been a long few days of too much football (watched every match) and painkillers. Yesterday was probably the only day i didn't enjoy.

I feel i've watched the same match 3 times. Teams setting up to defend deep and frustrate "You come see if you can beat us" in Iran/USA/Algeria and it nearly worked for all three. Disappointed in Belgium's lack of ideas, Ghana might be the most frustrating side of talented idiots (Boateng, The Ayews, Gyan, Muntari and Atsu) i've ever seen and Nigeria were dreadful.

Really hoping for a great Brazil/Mexico game.