DVDVR Message Board

2014 WORLD CUP THREAD

RIPPA

Great win for the Dutch.  Some quality goals there, but Casillas was bad throughout.  Misjudged the free kick for de Vrij's header and the less said about his first touch on the 2nd van Persie goal the better.  Made to look silly by Robben on his 2nd as well. 

Casillas definetly had a very bad day at the office.

However, the free kick was a situation that got a call yesterday against Croatia (rightfully so, 5-m-box, not contesting the goalie in mid air). I agree with the other two you mentioned making him look really bad though.

The bad part for Spain is that Chile can approach the game far more relaxed. A draw might even be enough, Spain would have to win big against Australia, as long as Chile won´t get demolished the way Spain did against Netherlands. However, Chile looked very troubled by a limited Australian team and almost had the game slip away from them, so the first match day makes it really hard to predict how the meeting of the champions and the Chileans will conclude.

A loose Chile and a puckered Spain seems like a bad combo. There's always one disaster team in the Group Stage and I never would have guessed Spain would be it.

I like Chile as a potential spoiler now that the biggest weakness they show (playing up or down to the level of competition) is no longer a factor with Aussie out of the way and Spain and Netherlands and potentially the KO round remaining.

Cahill with a goal. God do I love that guy, probably my favorite current Metro. Besides Cahill we also have Roy Miller playing in the WC.

The Spain/Netherlands game was like the opening of ALIEN3.

"Hey, everyone, remember all your heroes you wanted to see from the last movie?  I wonder what troubles they'll have to survive this tiThey're all dead.  Here's the guy from ROC instead."

• Like 1

A loose Chile and a puckered Spain seems like a bad combo. There's always one disaster team in the Group Stage and I never would have guessed Spain would be it.

I like Chile as a potential spoiler now that the biggest weakness they show (playing up or down to the level of competition) is no longer a factor with Aussie out of the way and Spain and Netherlands and potentially the KO round remaining.

After 20 minutes Spain were packing their bags but once Australia started to press Chile and get at them Chile couldn't cope. One thing Spain are masters at is pressuring teams when they don't have the ball, whether Del Bosque will pick a side with the legs the aussies showed for 60 minutes is debateable.

One thing is for sure, Pique & Ramos will have an easier time with Vargas than they did with RVP.

The more I've thought about it the more I'm looking forward to this group with Colombia/Greece/Ivory Coast/Japan. Basically just because it feels like a group where all four teams will legitimately believe they can get out of it, and I really have no clue what's going to happen. Not the sexiest group maybe, but a competitive one.

CBC clearly have no clue what's going to happen either, so they just talked about Falcao for like 10 minutes instead of anyone in the actual game.

• Like 1

So an American, a Canadian and an Iranian ref a match...

This definitely seems like the start of a joke my grandpa would have loved to tell

• Like 1

Well that was one heck of a celebration that they so tried not to show you.

If we are going to get that everytime Colombia scores... BRING ON ALL THE GOALS!!!!

• Like 2

CBC clearly have no clue what's going to happen either, so they just talked about Falcao for like 10 minutes instead of anyone in the actual game.

I'm glad CBC are covering it, but as usual, their coverage is professional but devoid of enthusiasm, discussion or anything at all interesting.

I'm glad CBC are covering it, but as usual, their coverage is professional but devoid of enthusiasm, discussion or anything at all interesting.

Nigel Reed is boring as sin, and Lloyd Barker is terrible. At least Andi Petrillo still looks great.

• Like 1

You would have no idea that CBC is even in Brazil.  They're in Brazil, right?  They could easily be in Toronto for all I know.

Fairly certain they are in Toronto, actually.

I switched over to ABC for a few minutes, and I'm more impressed by their presentation to be honest. Better commentary (Jon Champion I think along with a co-commentator I didn't figure out) instead of the generic English language feed that CBC always picks up. Roberto Martinez, Alexei Lalas and two other guys in a studio in Brazil (presumably. could've been a green screen of Brazilian scenery). Not a great line-up or anything, but at least they were actually interacting with each other and discussing things rather than the robotic, uninteresting pap on CBC.

That penalty was the clumsiest defending I´ve ever seen. Uruguay has some unexpected trouble with Costa Rica, game lives from the fact that the CONCACAF-team looks quite competitive.

Oh, and Columbia haven´t convinced me on how they are supposed to be among the 16 or so teams that seem to be underdog favourites / dark horses of the tournament. They looked really fast, but Greece was really really slow. Greece had as many chances as Columbia, almost got back in the game on a few occasions despite all their shortcomings and were denied two possible penalties late in the second half. Still, 3 - 0 is a good start for Columbia, yet no guarantee for advancing. I can see Greece coming out of the group giving up all the points for as weak as they looked.