DVDVR Message Board

2014 WORLD CUP THREAD

RIPPA

I found it incredibly weird how our announcers and pundits acted as if this was such a big sensational developement in the match. Sure, Brazil a tournament favourites, but home advantages in those tournaments always come with tons of pressure and Croatia have a very uncomfortable site. They caused major trouble for footballing nations like Germany, Italy, Spain and Brazil in the past, why shouldn´t they in 2014, having a solid defense, a strong midfield and that old guy up front running like a Duracel bunny?

Guest The Magnificent 7

There's a difference between pragmatic and ponderous.  Jelavic has his qualities, but he's slow as molasses.  Brazil were lucky they weren't punished further in that first half.  They'll have to play with more pace and not just stop the ball and survey the pitch for a minute and ponder what stepover to do to get past their man. 

Guest The Magnificent 7

The sub board is a giant stop watch

Okay...

They built that as a reminder to the refs to add time for substitutions.

Okay I made that shit up, I'm sure it has to do with some sponsor.  Casio or somebody.  They still make stopwatches, yeah?

Guest The Magnificent 7

Was there a contact between Alves and Olic? I had some trouble spotting it.

German announcer: "That was nothing, he accidentally touched him causing him to fall." Isn´t that a definition of a foul in footie?

Alves knee clipped Olic's trailing ankle.  It was a foul. 

Guest The Magnificent 7

Pisses me off when refs get fooled with that nonsense and let sumo wrestling slide on corner kicks all day long. 

Guest The Magnificent 7

Ref is having a shocker.  Olic entitled to go for that ball and kept his arm down.  I play keeper these days and I'd be embarassed at the protection the ref gave him there. 

Guest The Magnificent 7

I dunno, you see that all the time now. Anyone bumps the goalie and it's a whistle. Meanwhile some defender can be tearing off a guy's shirt somewhere in the box and nothing is done.

I'm starting a movement.  The pendulum swings back the other way NOW.

Well done on the 3rd goal, the Croatian goalie looked bad on both, Neymar´s first and Oscar´s long shots. Too bad that joke of a penalty was the difference maker, this was such a typical draw opening game until then and right before the pk it seemed like Croatia was taking controll.

First half was so much better than the second half. Hated the penalty call from the obvious dive. I was happy Oscar scored that 3rd goal because if it had ended with the Penalty being the last goal the bad taste left in the mouth would be worse. Disappointed 'cos I enjoyed that 1st half so much. Hoping for better tomorrow! 

It was a dive, but guess what? That's some second rate defending right there. No experienced defender is going to put his hands on the shoulder of the striker in that area, specially someone like Fred, a 30 something that knows when to pick those spots. It was a dive but it reminds of that Gary Neville analyses, in modern football you need to outsmart the diver and not put yourself in a position to let things like that happen.

Brazil deserved the win, anyway. Croatia looked strong in the counter attack, not so much in the offensive process. Mexico will pick the 2nd spot in the group.