DVDVR Message Board

2014 WORLD CUP THREAD

RIPPA

I am no soccer watcher or fan. But watching this.

I have a question about flopping.

Why, when a player has possession of the ball in the midfield and is driving forward, would you dive when someone tries to make a tackle? I would think you have a better chance of scoring from moving the ball forward in the flow of game play then off of a set piece when the defense has time to set positions/get back/etc.

I get flopping in the penalty box, obviously.

I am no soccer watcher or fan. But watching this.

I have a question about flopping.

Why, when a player has possession of the ball in the midfield and is driving forward, would you dive when someone tries to make a tackle? I would think you have a better chance of scoring from moving the ball forward in the flow of game play then off of a set piece when the defense has time to set positions/get back/etc.

I get flopping in the penalty box, obviously.

You can thank Dick Fosbury.

• Like 2

I really liked watching Mexico today. About the only soccer I get to watch is Liga, so I have a soft spot for those guys. They moved the ball really well in tight spaces. I'm kind of interested in how these two match up with Croatia.

They also stretched the pitch really wide but their crossing wasn't very good. I doubt they'll be able to find any success against the tall Croatian defenders. That should be a great match.

And there's your Miguel Herrera gif.

mexiGOOAAAL.gif

Also, whatchu hiding, Fraaaanz?

• Like 1

Mexico struggle against the taller, stronger opponents. And they'll make Ochoa work much harder than he had to today. 

Guys like Guardado and Herrera were really gassed against Cameroon, and I can't imagine them being able to withstand the Croatians. If they get a draw against Croatia, they should finish second in the group.

They also stretched the pitch really wide but their crossing wasn't very good. I doubt they'll be able to find any success against the tall Croatian defenders. That should be a great match.

And the one cross they had that was about pitch perfect was the one where two teammates both went up to head it, and blew the whole thing.

Yeah, they'll get a few good ones in a game with the way they set up. Not sure it's the best way of attacking with their personnel, though.

Predictions for Spain/Nederland? IS THIS THE START OF SPAIN'S DOMINANCE WEAKENING?!?!?!??!? Prolly not. 1-0 Spain. Dutch infighting? Neva hoid of it!

Why the fuck is Brenda Irving in Brazil to cover the World Cup for CBC? Shakin' my damn head.

I don't know why I like the Netherlands so much. It was probably their squad from a couple cups ago that I really liked so I just hold on. Same could be said for me and Russia, I guess.

But I'm totally hoping the Dutch win so I don't have to see texaspaniard post more humble brags.

Honestly, I have no expectations and in the past five years all my football wishes have come true: Spain won the World Cup and Real Madrid won La Decima. Will I be rooting for Spain to win? Of course, but honestly I have no expectations and no grief driven hopes and dreams on this tournament. Whatever happens, happens. I think it is time for other people's football dreams to come true. I am just enjoying this as it goes. If Spain does well, great. If they don't, it is not so bad. I think the Confederations Cup final last year was the end of this team's run. 

• Like 2