DVDVR Message Board

2014 WORLD CUP THREAD

RIPPA

Mexico will pick the 2nd spot in the group.

After their shit performance in the hex, I'm gonna need to see it to believe it. This Mexican side is just not that strong. They're going to be a much easier opponent for Croatia than Brazil.

I really have no idea who takes second in that group. Depending how good Cameroon look, could be pretty wide open for the taking. I would guess Croatia but that's really half blind because there are just too many players on Mexico and Cameroon I don't know a ton about.

The Brazilian national anthem WOW!

First half was a lot of fun, Modric and Perisic especially good and i think Neymar should have been off. He looked for Modic and walloped him. Ref ruined the second half, gave nothing to Croatia and the penalty decision was an absolute joke. Croatia can also blame Pletikosa, how did he not save the 1st and 3rd? even the pen he got his hands to.

Really bad way to start a World Cup. Brazil at the back need to improve dramatically if they're going to win it or just have this fuck of a referee for each game.

Croatia manager Niko Kovac:

"If that's how we start the World Cup, we better give it up now and go home," Kovac said.

"We talk about respect, that wasn't respect, Croatia didn't get any. If that's a penalty, we don't need to play football anymore. Let's play basketball instead. It's a shame.

"If you continue like this you will have 100 penalties. I think 2.5 billion people watching on TV saw this was not a penalty.

"This was ridiculous and if we continue in this way we will have a circus.

Both will qualify. Croatia with Mandzukic up front instead of Jelavic and getting Rakitic more in the game will be too much for Mexico and Cameroon.

Oh and......

2r6idsm.jpg

That guy on team Brazil better hope that the team gets a comeback win or he'll have crazed fans trying to kill him.

Ugh. Like the Game of Thrones threads, can we get a "people who've watched football before" thread and a "quadrennial bandwagoners" thread?

• Like 3

Anyway...

Amazing performance of the Brazilian national anthem.

I feel for Croatia. They put in a decent performance, and deserved a draw. Obvious bullshit penalty, but I also feel people are harsh on the goalie for the third. That shot by Oscar was fairly deceptive. At first glance, I immediately thought "how did that go in?", but on the replay, there's no way you would expect him to basically toepoke it from 18 yards out. You'd expect him to run into the box with that. Great bit of play by him.

Mexico could take second in the group but the back line isn't so strong either. Francisco Rodriguez's form with America has gotten progressively worse. Rafa Marquez helped Leon win back to back domestic titles but has lost a few steps and can be prone to temper issues. Giovani hasn't had good form at all for el Tri color and Javier Hernandez has been exposed as being a poaching fraud of a striker. This and Guillermo Ochoa getting the starting keeper nod over Jesus Corona and Mexico have a lot of issues to sort out.

And, if they would have had to play Uruguay in a playoff instead of New Zealand they wouldn't be in Brazil.

That guy on team Brazil better hope that the team gets a comeback win or he'll have crazed fans trying to kill him.

Ugh. Like the Game of Thrones threads, can we get a "people who've watched football before" thread and a "quadrennial bandwagoners" thread?

I'M READING THE BOOKS GODDAMNIT JUST GIVE ME SOME TIME AND I'LL GET IN THERE

Come on, man. Don't be so elitist. The world cup is about showcasing football to the world, and growing the football community. We should celebrate that.

Is there a reason why Cameroon is getting boo'd every time they touch the ball or are there just that many Mexican fans that made the trip to Brazil?

Because the crowd yesterday sure wasn't treating Croatia this harshly.