DVDVR Message Board

2014 WORLD CUP THREAD

RIPPA

Lets fuck this world cup off and relive 98 over and over again.

Uh, that would hurt us Krauts ... France 98 was a fun World Cup, though. Anyone else thought the kits looked huge? They weren´t as massive as the 94 goalie jerseys, but damn ...

And I loved that Ricky Martin song. Go go go alé alé alé! It was such better Latino World Cup song than the Shakira-stuff over the last three (!) World Cups. Although I have to defend the Germany-World-Cup-music from 2006 a little, since they originally had a Groenemeyer song that was quite epic. I do think it didn´t connect too well with the international footie fans, there was an English version, which I couldn´t find on the net. Anyway, now that I have hyped it like that I have to push this one onto you guys... Sorry for the German, but maybe you can appreciate the vibe a little.

• Like 1

http://www.goal.com/en/news/3790/world-cup-2014/2014/06/09/4870247/brazilians-backing-argentina-to-win-the-world-cup?ICID=HP_HN_4

It's crazy to imagine how closely related the politics in Brazil are to the national team results on the soccer field.  If Brazil were to win it would seem like an endorsement of the current regime to a lot of people.  So Brazil winning the world cup might actually set the country back decades.  "Selecao winning their sixth World Cup might leave cities like Rio de Janeiro worse off as a result."  Incredible

Guest The Magnificent 7

Indeed, in their most recent friendly, the team was booed from the pitch on the way to an agricultural 1-0 victory over Serbia.

...is that the adjective they meant to use?

Yep, it's been in use a very long time.  Wimbledon played agricultural football.  See Vinnie Jones backpass to keeper after backpass to keeper, heavy challenges e.g. sticking the boot in always, hoof it up to the center forward for an example of agricultural football.  Especially the boot everything that moves bit. 

Rangers were like the John Deere of agricultural football. 

Stoke under Pulis, etc.

Indeed, in their most recent friendly, the team was booed from the pitch on the way to an agricultural 1-0 victory over Serbia.

...is that the adjective they meant to use?

Yep, it's been in use a very long time.  Wimbledon played agricultural football.  See Vinnie Jones backpass to keeper after backpass to keeper, heavy challenges e.g. sticking the boot in always, hoof it up to the center forward for an example of agricultural football.  Especially the boot everything that moves bit. 

Rangers were like the John Deere of agricultural football. 

See also: Stoke under direction of Tony Pulis.

I love how Jason De Vos, who is one of the main TV talking heads on soccer here, regularly uses the words "brilliant" and "quality" in ways that aren't used in discussing any other sport in north America, because he thinks it makes him sound more European and thus smarter.

I guess it could also be to cover up that he has nothing to say, but that's neither here nor there.

Sadly, FSW was right - Euro 96 was a good tournament for the english. Gazza and Psycho especially.

They took us apart in the 4-1 drubbing. and seaman, whilst being a philandering cock-gobbler did have a good fortnight.

Regarding the favourite World Cup XI, I can´t believe I forget to at least give some honorable mention to Roger Miller. Not only was he a great old dude in Italia 90, he was also a really good player in that tourney and I liked him quite well.

All this reminiscing makes me want to go back to playing late 90s FIFA and signing Zamorano on the cheap. I loved that guy, always used to be him when we played football.

I can't be number 9? Fuck you, I'll be 1+8 instead then.

Ivan+Zamorano.jpg

Tremendous. 

Speaking of awesome late 90s Chileans, Marcelo Salas was another one. I remember United being heavily linked with him post 98 World Cup but the bastard broke my heart and signed for Lazio instead.

• Like 1