DVDVR Message Board

2014 WORLD CUP THREAD

RIPPA

• 2 weeks later...

Part of me wants to root for Bosnia because Begovic is for all intents and purposes a Canadian. Even if like most of our men's players he wants nothing to do with us.

I like how Germany named 2 outright forwards because they have like 10 midfielders that score double digit goals in leagues. Max Meyer on the world cup squad is a huge call up for the 18 year old too.

Loews reasonings for some nominees of the 30 men roster are weird. Gomez was injured too much while Khedira´s injury shouldn´t be a problem. Durm gets a shot because "while he made be young and without many Bundesliga matches he had good performances in the Champion´s League", meanwhile Robert Zieler gets nominated as the third goalie while Leno stays at home despite having played many CL-games. Grosskreutz gets a shot at being in Brazil because he "showed great form" while Max Kruse who had a brilliant season has to watch the World Cup on TV. I assume quite a few of the suprises are going to be cut, I´d guess Meyer and Mustafi are almost certain to go, I would say Höwedes, Goretzka and Hahn aswell. Not sure if he keeps Volland, I could see why, he could be a good sub on the right wing. Considering Müller is on the squad aswell, Germany has two definite strikers in Klose and Müller. A healthy and fit Miroslav Klose would still be the very best solution.

As for Germany´s chances I have to say I´m almost certain we won´t be winning this. Everybody has us as favourites and I don´t really see why. The team plays some great quality footie, but they just don´t strike me as a title winner team. They choke when a good quality side takes it to them with physical footie and disciplined defending and I´m almost 100% certain this will show when Ronaldo and Pepe tell their teammates to give them the ball and wait for counter attacks to upset us in our opening match. I would of course love to be wrong, but this is what I´m afraid will happen.

And the england squad is released.

=-

• Rickie Lambert (Southampton)

Wayne Rooney (Manchester United)

Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool)

Danny Welbeck (Manchester United)

•  

Midfielders

Posted at

Steven Gerrard (Liverpool) - captain

Ross Barkley (Everton)

Jordan Henderson (Liverpool)

Adam Lallana (Southampton)

Frank Lampard (Chelsea)

James Milner (Manchester City)

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal)

Raheem Sterling (Liverpool)

Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)

• Defenders

Posted at

Leighton Baines (Everton)

Gary Cahill (Chelsea)

Phil Jagielka (Everton)

Glen Johnson (Liverpool)

Phil Jones (Man Utd)

Luke Shaw (Southampton)

Chris Smalling (Man Utd)

• Goalkeepers

Posted at

Joe Hart (Manchester City)

Ben Foster (West Bromwich Albion)

Fraser Forster (Celtic)

Guest Edwin
Aaaaaand the 2014 WC champs squad:

Manager: Vicente del Bosque

GK: Iker Casillas, Pepe Reina and David de Gea

DF: Sergio Ramos, Gerard Piqué, Raúl Albiol, Jordi Alba, Javi Martínez, Juanfran, César Azpilicueta, Alberto Moreno and Dani Carvajal

MF: Xavi Hernández, Xabi Alonso, Andrés Iniesta, Cesc Fàbregas, David Silva, Sergio Busquets, Santi Cazorla, Jesús Navas, Juan Mata, Koke, Thiago Alcântara and Ander Iturraspe

FW: Fernando Torres, David Villa, Pedro Rodríguez, Fernando Llorente, Álvaro Negredo and Diego Costa

Well a lot of them are the provisional 30 man rosters - so I think they are naming 4 for now in case a keeper gets hurt before they need to get the roster down to 23.

Is there any interest in a DVDVR World Cup tipping community?

I have absolutely no clue when it comes to soccer (as evidenced by me never posting around this part of the board), but I always enjoy participating in stuff like that. I could set one up.

Random Wold Cup memories ahoy.

I have very vague recollections of Italia 90 but USA 94 was my first real one.

- It being America in June/July, it seemed like every match was played in scorching hot sun. 

- Diana Ross missing the penalty in the opening ceremony. Springsteen would have buried that sucker.

- Bebeto's baby rocking celebration and every lad on our street copying it even though 9 year olds can't conceive children.

- Maradona's celebration and every lad on our street copying it by getting shitfaced on ephedrine and cocaine and then getting kicked out of the street.

- Romario/Hagi/Stoichkov/Baggio/Batigol/BROLIN aka the coolest era of superstar players in the last 20 years.

- Big Jack and John Aldridge nearly committing murder of a FIFA official on live TV.

- Houghton's volley against Italy followed by him panicking and thinking 'shit, best moment of my career, what do I do for a celebration? Cartwheel and 5 somersaults? Nah, fuck it, forward roll.'

- The final being so bad it caused Baggio to have a memory relapse and forget how to take a penalty.

- Jorge Campos' goalkeeping jerseys, a clever ploy designed to induce an epileptic fit in opposition centre forwards.

- World Cup of Hair: LALAS VS VALDERRAMA

I can't even remember if overall it was an especially great World Cup, I just remember being enthralled by the whole goddamn spectacle. France 98 comes round and I'm of the age where I was filling in a wall chart and collecting World Cup stickers and playing World Cup 98 on the N64 and whatnot.

As long as this year there isn't a Brazilian equivalent of a vuvu-fucking-zela, I'll be happy.

• Like 5