DVDVR Message Board

2014 WORLD CUP THREAD

RIPPA

Was there a time when we were able to do these large-scale national or international events without brutalizing the local populations, stripping the last vestiges of infrastructure from the poor, and imposing martial law?

I'm asking because I genuinely don't know.  Was it always this way and we just didn't know about it?  Or did we at some point in the recent past decide that sponsor profits might be raised a tad if we adopted the ancient Egyptian business model for construction and zoning?  And that this would be okay.

I was about to say recent games in the western world, but you did have the SLC bribery scandal. And i bet our canadian and british board members can discuss shenanigans surrounding vancouver and london.

Germany with one official forward in old-man Miroslav, who has been out for quite a lot this season. Players on the final roster:

GK: Neuer, Weidenfeller, Zieler

DEF: Boateng, Durm, Ginter, Großkreutz, Hoewedes, Hummels, Lahm, Mertesacker

MID: Draxler, Goetze, Khedira, Kramer, Kroos, Mueller, Oezil, Podolski, Reus, Schuerrle, Schweinsteiger

ATT: Klose

While I think we have a good roster, our lack of attackers is a big problem. If Klose was at a hundred percent and injury free, I would be really happy. Overall, we had way too many injured key players over the course of the season. It will be more than hard to win our group, which doesn´t mean we aren´t favourites to do so, but it wont be a cake walk to even get out of it.

Agreed that both, Mueller and Podolski are more than capable to fill in. I just think that a 100 % - Klose up front would be the ideal line-up (adding a few other "100 %" to some of the players). I really hope Loew gets the injured guys going, because we actually do have a good midfield which is still pretty young considering their level of experience and should peak this summer according to "general-footie-player-peak-law".

Don't a lot of national teams have players not born in their country playing for them?

Sterling and Valencia both got booted out of the Ecuador/England friendly. Does this earn them suspensions for World Cup games?

• Like 1

Don't a lot of national teams have players not born in their country playing for them?

I honestly don't even mind it if it's a "hey I have lived/worked in that country for a few years" thing.

If they make you pay taxes you might as well get a free national team shirt out of it.

I'm still sad that Taylor Grahmm wasn't allowed to play for Puerto Rico by FIFA. That would've been the greatest thing ever.

Really good article from NY Times about what Jurgen Klinsmann is trying to do with the US team.

Plus bonus bitter bitter Bruce Arena.

Of course - I am positive most places will just run with the WE CAN'T WIN THIS WORLD CUP!!!! angle

You are correct sir

http://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/worldcup/la-sp-sn-juergen-klinsmann-us-cant-win-20140605-story.html

BpZMJtgIgAAgi3J.jpg

"He asked me for a photo. I don't know who he is nor whether he has won something but I made the kid's day," Herrera posted in Spanish on his Twitter account.

It is getting really hard to not root for Mexico this year

• Like 3