DVDVR Message Board

WWE Battleground 2014

MGFanJay

Sadly, watching the main Ambrose/Rollins brawl, Dean didn't bite anyone.  I can tell you from experience, if the people dragging you away don't have to go to the effort to jam a wooden spoon between your teeth, you really aren't giving 100%.

I had a good time watching it, but largely for sitting with my best friend and going "WHY" over and over.

For example!

-Usos winning. Good match though!

-Lana's promo

-Paige's... turn signal? or whatever that was

-Bray losing clean, Jericho leaving unscathed

-Two straight matches with the post match of "champion flexes, near-champion looks depressed."

For positives, I dont think enough credit is being given to Cameron coming out in Naughty Catholic halloween costume gear, and then winning with a School Girl. Also, Ambrose/Rollins is the best thing they're doing by a long shot. And Stardust too.

Sadly, watching the main Ambrose/Rollins brawl, Dean didn't bite anyone.  I can tell you from experience, if the people dragging you away don't have to go to the effort to jam a wooden spoon between your teeth, you really aren't giving 100%.

Yeah, I was waiting for Seth to yell "HE'S BITING ME! GET HIM OFF!" during one of the pull aparts. Missed opportunity.

The Rusev/Swags feud should culminate with a flag match at SummerSlam.

I think people are just bummed that this PPV wasn't as good as the rest of the PPVs this year. From at least Mania to MITB, the PPVS have been awesome. Like, awesome. The WWE doesn't do a streak of awesome PPVS often and they did it this year. Oh well. Can't win them all.

And tonight was the first time in a long, long, long time the Divas match wasn't given the death slot. Shame the two "top" talents couldn't do anything with it.

I missed the PPV. I couldn't get the damn network to load on my computer, laptop or phone. Don't have an Xbox where I'm staying tonight so I went by what people were posting on twitter for updates and stuff. I figured Miz would win the battle royal. I mean I like the whole "I'm a movie star so I'm big time" gimmick, but The Miz was dead in the water for YEARS. I mean when was the last time anyone gave a shit about anything The Miz did? Bring back Maryse...at least she could be Sable to his Marc Mero.

Other than that I'm just let down that Harper/Rowan lost again. The Uso's are so...I don't know how to describe them. I guess if you made CAW's of every Indy wrestler and combined them into twin brothers that would be The Uso's. SUPERKICKS!!!

I'm glad I didn't see the show. I'd be pissed if I saw the Ambrose bait and switch.

Just getting to the parking lot brawl.  I'd kind of like to imagine that Ambrose wasn't actually waiting for Seth, but just bedding down for the night and got lucky there.

two things though:

1) Where am I suppose to believe Seth Rollins was going to drive in those sweaty, sticky leather pants and that drenched, streaked latex body armor?  To his hotel?  To the next city?  How would he even get in or out of a car like that?  Someone has to rent that car after you, you fucking gross stripper-haired freak!

2) WHERE WAS THE BRIEFCASE!!!! GODDAMMIT, PEOPLE HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN WHEELING THE MITB CASE AROUND ON HIS LITTLE FLIGHT-ATTENDANT CARRY-ON WHEELIE THINGY!!!

Outrageous.

• Like 4

I actually liked most of this show. Surprised that it's being hated far more than liked. Ambrose/Rollins being held off and kept hot until SummerSlam felt like a smart thing to do in my opinion. Save the super hot first time ever match for the bigger stage plus it should have huge heat now. The brawl segments were really well done and I think in the end, the match will end up a much bigger deal. They probably would've been better off just not advertising it as a match and having Ambrose attacking Rollins all night to prevent possible cash in attempts.

Usos/Wyatts was excellent again. Didn't think I would like it as much as the last PPV match but I loved this one. Thought for sure that the Wyatts were going over here so it was a nice surprise to see the Usos once again retain. I like being caught off guard by unpredictable finishes like that. Feels like the Usos have been champs for longer than they have been but I would love to see it keep going through the year.

Liked Rusev/Swagger as the first in what could be a 2-3 month feud. Good beginning for Swagger's babyface run. Really dug the finish as a great way to continue the feud without having Swagger pinned or submitted yet while keeping Rusev strong. I think a flag match between these two would be a hot match as well as a later submissions match. Rusev still selling the ankle in the post-match attack was an excellent little touch.

Haven't cared much at all about the Jericho/Wyatt feud and the "as personal as it gets" line was laughable but the feud video was a real strong one that made the feud come off as a far bigger deal than it is. I'm not big on Wyatt like most are, so I absolutely loved Jericho getting the win. I've hated the predictable routine of Jericho just coming back to put over the new guys over and over so for him to actually win one felt like a real shocker, especially for it to happen completely clean with just one Codebreaker. Very unexpected but I liked it. Sure Wyatt will win the rematch since this is going to continue but at least Jericho got to win one.

Battle royal was decent. Loved the Cesaro/Kofi elimination teases, crazy stuff. Noticed RVD was absent from the match, should've thrown in a surprise legend to fill the spot. Wondering if they now build to Sheamus vs Miz to unify the titles. Liked the main event even with an obvious finish, they did enough to create good near falls and make Reigns look great in his spots. Orton's slight gear change to dark blue seemed like his first change in 6-7 years. Really only negative for me was the divas match I didn't care about either way. Looking forward to a possibly great SummerSlam.

• Like 1

I still have no idea what people see in Stardust & think it's Wrestlecrap. It's like one big ironic joke that I'm not in on. Cody is not any good. Slapping in some shitty contacts, putting on make-up & acting like Goldust doesn't change that.

[Ermey]What is Private Pyle doing getting counted out at Battleground?  Why is Private Pyle not unconscious from the camel clutch?  Why has Private Pyle not been fed to the monster you are trying to build up with the unescapable finisher?  WHY ARE YOU NOT STOMPING PRIVATE PYLE'S GUTS OUT TO PROTECT YOUR MONSTER!!!!???[/Ermey]

I don't know why people think Swagger has more upside than Rusev at this point.  Heyman could get cheered waving a flag at Rusev and chanting "We the people" right now.  Why can't they ever just make up their mind to go with one guy and just do it.  tired of this half-assed shit.  Swagger is waaaay too far down toward the bottom of the ladder to be tripping up Rusev and taking a soft loss.

I did enjoy that Ambrose has apparently still not changed his clothes since mid June.  I'd like to think he just strips down and puts them in a bucket of soapy water in the trunk of his car between cities.

But that may just be a thing I like to think about more than a viable laundering scheme.

I can imagine him going to some cheap motel and washing his gear in the sink with a bar of soap he swiped from the maid's cart.

second PPV in a row where the Network kept fucking up, making it impossible for me to watch. Seriously considering not renewing when my 6 months are up, this is getting ridiculous.

• Like 1

I did enjoy that Ambrose has apparently still not changed his clothes since mid June.  I'd like to think he just strips down and puts them in a bucket of soapy water in the trunk of his car between cities.

But that may just be a thing I like to think about more than a viable laundering scheme.

I can imagine him going to some cheap motel and washing his gear in the sink with a bar of soap he swiped from the maid's cart.

Like most wrestlers have a network of groupies in every city, Dean has cultivated a network made up of cleaning ladies at the worst meth motel in each city they go to.

Wherever they go, Dean pulls off from wherever the rest of the convoy is headed and disappears.  In every city there is an old Chechnyan or Thai lady who has a cold meal, a mattress, and that soapy bucket and sponge in the laundry room waiting for him.

In most of those rooms years from now you will still be able to find the word "Rollins" scratched into the concrete floor with fork spokes.  By then I will be organizing a fantasy "Be Dean Ambrose" tour.  It will be expensive and you'll probably be killed.  But we'l have waivers for everyone to sign or...something.

• Like 5

That Usos/Wyatt match had me marking out like I was 8 years old again. Loved Harper and I think Jimmy uso in that match. 

Other than that match nothing stood out and most sucked. Though I did like Rusev and swagger more than most and loved the ending to extend the feud. 

They are building Ambrose to be a huge fucking star. With the way ppvs are now, I expect them to do things like this and the ending to the Swagger match. Feuds will last longer and there might be some bait and switch tactics to prolong feuds. Except for the big shows of Rumble,Mania, and Summerslam, all the rest of the shows are like Clashes. 

• Like 1

Bray was really hot earlier this year, but he has to succeed or recruit or something for the character to still have it's bite.  It will be much harder to kill Dean's momentum because all he has to do is keep swinging.  

The story they ran with Bryan ALWAYS getting beat down in the end could potentially work way better with Ambrose.  Where as Bryan garnered sympathy, with Ambrose it's more of a "HA just wait until he gets up."

Following that thought, Cole and King need to really tone down the OUTRAGE! when Ambrose is getting screwed over.  Bryan needed your support, but Ambrose just needs to be you know... crazy.  Face announcers shouldn't defend crazy

I fully expect a bunch of people to disagree with me, but I actually thought Miz winning was a decent outcome. Bo winning would've been best, but I think for all of his faults, Miz is actually pretty good at defending a title. He's completely worthless when he doesn't have one, but as champion, he manages to make the belt feel important during his matches. I've liked his WWE, US and tag runs (with Morrison and Show) and while I don't necessarily think he elevated the belt single handedly, you can point to really memorable moments in all of those runs. I think that is exactly what the IC title needs right now.

• Like 3

I fully expect a bunch of people to disagree with me, but I actually thought Miz winning was a decent outcome. Bo winning would've been best, but I think for all of his faults, Miz is actually pretty good at defending a title. He's completely worthless when he doesn't have one, but as champion, he manages to make the belt feel important during his matches. I've liked his WWE, US and tag runs (with Morrison and Show) and while I don't necessarily think he elevated the belt single handedly, you can point to really memorable moments in all of those runs. I think that is exactly what the IC title needs right now.

Miz can at least draw heat while losing and give some up & coming babyface a chickenshit to chase.  Dolph winning would have been just more of what we've seen the last year.  He's going to lose with our without the belt.  He's not going anywhere and he's not elevating anyone. 

Sheamus would have been...fuck I can't even...

I'll pause from clicking "Like This" on pro Ambrose posts long enough to reply to this.

I feel like this "Hollywood Miz" thing has gotten Miz back on the right track. I've disliked Miz for a while now, but recently it's become more of a dislike in the way I'm supposed to dislike him, rather than me wanting him to go away. It's in the character. He just isn't a good fit for being a bad-ass, a rebel, a fun guy, an envious guy, a dangerous guy, a decorated ex-champ, a technician, or anything else they kept trying to cast him as to annoy people in a way he shouldn't have. They've brought him back to being the sneaky, shortcut-taking, delusional, chickenshit type he is good at playing. He just needs an Alex Riley style minion (whose solo push when he turns face isn't blown this time) to complete things. If he keeps the delusions of grandeur about being a Hollywood star who the people deserve to see, it might work.

Sorry for any blasphemy involved in the above paragraph; I still thought Bo should have won because I'm a BOLIEVER.

• Like 1

If you're worried someone is going to jump you as you're getting in your car, scanning the horizon isn't a good use of your time.

Now, if you're entering Comanche territory with a cache of rifles hidden in a false bottom of your covered wagon.  Then, yeah, maybe give the horizon a good scanning.  But parking lot...not as vital

• Like 1

I know the Austin-Ambrose parallels are getting overdone but I can't help but get a sense of '96-'97 Austin when watching Dean whoop ass. The above gif is akin to Austin sneaking up on Pillman before giving him a swirly. While I think Ambrose's personality has more Piper than Austin, the way he acts outside the accepted and normal parameters of WWE Superstar behaviour is just like what Austin did during that time period (and like Jrag said, the announcers need to be perplexed by his behaviour not supportive, remember Vince and Ross on Austin). Dean is so abnormal when juxtaposed with the rest of the roster he feels entirely special - because he is in the ways Piranesi has mentioned in the Raw threads. It's wonderful to watch and something that can't be done very often and you need a unique, weird kinda guy like Ambrose to pull it off.

• Like 1