DVDVR Message Board

WWE Battleground 2014

MGFanJay

Same people loathing this show and calling it unwatchable will be the same people who watch Summerslam next month, and RAW tomorrow night. And would have been in the same hyperbolic hysterics during every era in company history, especially the successful ones.

Is that why they are losing hundreds of millions of dollars? I'd wager that some people actually did stop giving a shit and there's more to come.

It's weird that they keep pushing the Network like no one is watching it while at the same time there's nothing that really excites me as a prescriber to keep it. I use my PS3 to watch it and there's hardly anything on it. You got X number of PPVs, and some other shows. But like it's very minimum how much stuff they have on it considering they OWN pretty much every wrestling promotion's library that has been on TV sans TNA and ROH.

The crowd wants Ziggler to have his day so bad. 

The thing is, he already has had his day. It's like when people were clamoring for Bryan to FINALLY win the title when he had already won both the World and even WWE titles. The people don't want Ziggler to have his day, they want him booked exactly the way they want, which is an entirely different drive than wanting to see the underdog finally triumph.

This isn't to say the way he's been booked has been good or interesting, but I think it's an important distinction to make.

• Like 1

The thing is, he already has had his day. It's like when people were clamoring for Bryan to FINALLY win the title when he had already won both the World and even WWE titles. The people don't want Ziggler to have his day, they want him booked exactly the way they want, which is an entirely different drive than wanting to see the underdog finally triumph.

This isn't to say the way he's been booked has been good or interesting, but I think it's an important distinction to make.

I don't even think they want "his day" necessarily. They just want to see him presented as a threat and as an important part of RAW. I wouldn't say that WWE fans don't know what they want at this point as the gentleman below you said because there was pretty much a mass uprising when D-Bry was getting shoved aside and Ziggler is still massively over after being booked into oblivion (remember his first WHC run where he never won the belt and then immediately lost it, see how he has been shoved way down the card).

I don't particularly like Ziggler or dislike him, but I am impressed that the guy is just over no matter what. That counts for something. 

I thought the PPV was fine.  Great opener, I stepped away to pull a bong hit, so I missed the initial Ambrose/Rollins confrontation. 

The Diva's match was not that bad. 

LOVED Swagger/Rusev. 

I was feeling the battle royal until the very end.  Seriously, fuck the Miz.

I already had a feeling on how the main would in so lowered expectations caused me to not be upset.

I thought the Jericho/Wyatt match was pretty competitive.  BTW, the "lost to a part-timer" trope is played out.  No one said that when Andre or Roughhouse Fargo came into town...

Because he was generally the special attraction that drew the house. That isn't the case with Jericho. I'm okay with Jericho winning, because the feud isn't over yet and is meant to put Wyatt over.

Are you genuinely not seeing a difference between special attractions making the rounds of the territories and guys who do stints of wrestling in between touring/making movies/whatever?

I mean at least with Rock and Batista they'd been away awhile. Jericho's doing a new comeback every year. He's like a reverse Terry Funk.

I would like to understand this distinction. Outside of a few blips, the last of which was over a year ago Dolph have been consistently jobbed to anyone and everyone above the lower mid-card. He is given little to no mic time and has had little that would resemble an angle.

Right or wrong, this is much more than the audience not happy that their guy doesn't win every match or isn't in a prominent feud. It's more of a "Hello. We like this guy. We find him interesting. Wont someone please take notice." 

So I'm assuming when the legends pop up and they beat up one of the current roster, that's all bad too? I heard nothing but praise in this board when Tatanka, Goldust and Mr. Perfect came back for their runs. This part timer stuff has only been prevalent since Punk first said it and now a bunch of y'all have glommed on to it. It's been part of the business since I've been watching wrestling. Time to get over it.

WWE fans don't know what they want.

I know what I want. More Bray, Cesaro, Wyatts, Ambrose, etc  and less Cena, Orton and Kane. That's what everyone wants (though I will admit that Cena is still way over and cannot go anywhere for obvious reasons).

Why should Jericho beat anyone at this point? Feed him to Bray and move on. He's not even good anymore. If he's going to come back it should be to put the young guys over.

WWE fans don't know what they want.

I know what I want. More Bray, Cesaro, Wyatts, Ambrose, etc  and less Cena, Orton and Kane. That's what everyone wants (though I will admit that Cena is still way over and cannot go anywhere for obvious reasons).

Why should Jericho beat anyone at this point? Feed him to Bray and move on. He's not even good anymore. If he's going to come back it should be to put the young guys over.

If Jericho never wins though, how much does putting them over really mean? 

Putting young guys over is EXACTLY what he's doing with this feud.

There doesn't need to be a series of matches. Beat Jericho and move on. Even booking fucking sucks.

Eh, he's Chris Jericho. He's been around for twenty years. He's held every title under the sun. I don't think he needs another win any time soon.

• Like 1

Putting young guys over is EXACTLY what he's doing with this feud.

There doesn't need to be a series of matches. Beat Jericho and move on. Even booking fucking sucks.

Eh, he's Chris Jericho. He's been around for twenty years. He's held every title under the sun. I don't think he needs another win any time soon.

That's the mistaken assumption they made with Dolph/Jericho and to a lesser extent Punk/Jericho.  They seem to be getting the feud right this time.

How long until Bray Wyatt can put over Luke Harper in a match?

This is what I want to know too, since Harper is the real breakout star of The Wyatt Family, much like Dean Ambrose is the star of The Shield.

• Like 2

A million times this. The even-stevens booking is what currently kills WWE & makes it so boring. Every show feels like rehashed shit we've already seen a dozen times. Not because there's not two world titles. Not because there's not a brand split. But because we HAVE seen it all before. That's why part-timer Brock Lesnar as champion, I think, would work. He's not horribly over-exposed & he still feels fresh & special. Unlike say, oh, I dunno, Chris Jericho...who comes back & instantly feels like old news again. See also: Dam, Rob Van

We've had this discussion a hundred times but a huge problem is also the amount of TV time. If you're going to have John Cena appear on both RAW and SD! and PPVs, that's a ton of fucking Cena over the course of a month and he's required to wrestle on most of those shows also..   Last night felt like a RAW because there was nothing on it that couldn't have been on RAW any other week. That's why fresh faces absolutely need to be pushed. So many of these guys whether it's Cena, Orton, Kane, etc. are so stale. If I didn't watch RAW tonight I wouldn't feel like I'd be missing much. When Bryan, Wyatts, Cesaro and The Shield were taking over most of the TV time I felt I needed to see it.

• Like 1