DVDVR Message Board

SON OF A~!

jaedmc

That's a good idea. I only have one cat, but when I moved into a house with another cat, she started shitting on the rug in the living room until I put a second box in another room. When I moved back into my own place, one box worked just fine again.

The general litterbox rule for multiple cats is one for every cat plus one. So, I have two cats and three litterboxes.

My my girlfriend and I can share one bathroom, our two cats sure as hell can too.

I need to stop reading current events everywhere because they only remind me why I watch sports all day.

The world really has me down these days.

I'm kind of the opposite.  I stopped watching sports because the current events in them got me down.

I'll just leave a blanket-statement "FUCK BEING BROKE" here.

Today I worked. It was a normal Thursday.

At around 2:30 I always have a small snack. Usually an ape or banana. Today I ate an apple.

Halfway through this a piece of a tooth breaks off in my mouth. Not the top of one, sort of the back of one of teeth where it meets the gum.

It doesn't hurt, but I still freak out.

I am utterly and completely petrified of the dentist. Like a sweaty, anxiety-ridden mess. I have avoided the dentist since I was around 14. I am 37 now.

My teeth up to this point have been in good shape; they could use a cleaning, but for the most part they are fine.

So I have make an appointment. I go by a dentist's office down the street and I immedi have an anxiety attack. I sweat through my shirt. I stutter, I stammer. The receptionist gives me a bottle of water and I chug it.

Then she stands up while I am filling out paperwork. She walks to the back and less than a minute later she comes back with a piece of

paper.

Sight unseen the dentist has written me a prescription for two Valium. I am not supposed to take them till Monday, but holy fuck I am stl anxious and nervous.

I am almost 40. Why am I acting like a child?

That's a good idea. I only have one cat, but when I moved into a house with another cat, she started shitting on the rug in the living room until I put a second box in another room. When I moved back into my own place, one box worked just fine again.

The general litterbox rule for multiple cats is one for every cat plus one. So, I have two cats and three litterboxes.

My my girlfriend and I can share one bathroom, our two cats sure as hell can too.

Your cats don't flush.
  • Like 3

Big Fresh: You may do poorly with high-level recruiters when job searching... My opening question to all candidates was "Can you bake a cake?" I'd get responses such as "I'm an electrical engineer, why would you care if I can bake a cake?" "Simple, if you can it means that you are able to follow directions, if you can't it means that you cannot or will not and in either case, I won't waste time presenting you to clients..." That one question saved me hours of interviews.

Big Fresh: You may do poorly with high-level recruiters when job searching... My opening question to all candidates was "Can you bake a cake?" I'd get responses such as "I'm an electrical engineer, why would you care if I can bake a cake?" "Simple, if you can it means that you are able to follow directions, if you can't it means that you cannot or will not and in either case, I won't waste time presenting you to clients..." That one question saved me hours of interviews.

Who tells the truth at a job interview???

When I used to interview people I never asked any standard questions.  A well written resume tells me that.  I prefer to focus on personality fits, how well a person responds to adversity, etc.

If I wanted an answer to the 50 top interview questions I could just read the answers to the 50 top interview questions.

When you meet with the other people interviewing the person chances are they asked the same questions and I could get my answers then but during my portion I learned a lot about their mental makeup and ability to respond to areas outside of their comfort zone.

At around 2:30 I always have a small snack. Usually an ape or banana. Today I ate an apple.

Halfway through this a piece of a tooth breaks off in my mouth. Not the top of one, sort of the back of one of teeth where it meets the gum.

I am utterly and completely petrified of the dentist. Like a sweaty, anxiety-ridden mess. I have avoided the dentist since I was around 14. I am 37 now.

My teeth up to this point have been in good shape; they could use a cleaning, but for the most part they are fine.

So I have make an appointment. I go by a dentist's office down the street and I immedi have an anxiety attack. I sweat through my shirt. I stutter, I stammer. The receptionist gives me a bottle of water and I chug it.

Then she stands up while I am filling out paperwork. She walks to the back and less than a minute later she comes back with a piece of

paper.

Sight unseen the dentist has written me a prescription for two Valium. I am not supposed to take them till Monday, but holy fuck I am stl anxious and nervous.

I was in the same boat years ago - I had a teeth cleaning when I was a teenager that I swear was the most painful thing I've ever been through to this day. I vowed to never go back to a dentist, and I didn't for 20 years. At some point, I chipped a tooth and wanted it repaired. So I went back to a dentist.

Nothing they've done to me since I went back (two teeth cleanings a year, repairing the chipped tooth, fixing cavities and having oral surgery done on one of my teeth) has ever really constantly hurt. Some of it hurts for just a second, then lets off. I never even took one Tylenol after the oral surgery. It hurt like heck for about 30 minutes after the numbing wore off, but then it stopped.

Dental science has progressed GREATLY in the time since you were last in a dentist's office. Unless you've managed to pick THE wrong dentist, which happens and can be easily remedied by finding another one - this will not hurt anywhere near as much as you think it will.

Anxiety over dental appointments is a real thing. I had a root canal and some fillings last year. I didn't feel any great trepidation beforehand, and the only pain was pinpricks from getting the anesthetic injected, but once they had the bite in where my mouth was open, the least little bit of water in there would make me feel like I couldn't breathe, never mind the fact that my nose was completely unblocked.

Eventually I had to just kind of force myself to not panic, but it was still unpleasant as hell.

On  the cake question - if I was asked that in an interview alarm bells would start going off rather loudly.  I've been an EE for more years than I care to count, and the only times I've encountered a lot of instructions have been bad ones. One was working for a defense contractor.  The government required them to employ engineers when they would've been better off with good technicians.  The other was when a former supervisor was outright trying to fudge data to make himself look better.

In a normal work environment I just never encounter that situation.  I usually just get told what I need to deliver and then they leave it up to me to figure out how to do it.  The good managers realize that their people have a better understanding of the individual technical areas than they ever will.  My boss knows I know my shit better than he does, which goes for most of the people that work for him.  If I didn't he'd find somebody to replace me that did.

Honestly, if you're looking for people that can follow technical instructions, you're much better off trying to find good techs.  They come much cheaper, and will probably do a better job anyway.

Also, I fucking hate interviewing people.  I get more nervous interviewing others than I ever did going through interviews myself.  The worst is when I know 5 minutes into the interview that it's not working out, but I've gotta pad the time till the next person comes in to take over from me.

On the cats, my 5 all share a single box.  We haven't any issues.  We got most of them when they were 3-4 weeks old, so maybe they just don't know any better.  We have a limited number of possible locations for litter because there aren't many places my dogs can't go.  The pit and setter can go through cat doors with ease.  The mastiff can either go over or bulldoze her way through just about anything.

Anxiety over dental appointments is a real thing. I had a root canal and some fillings last year. I didn't feel any great trepidation beforehand, and the only pain was pinpricks from getting the anesthetic injected, but once they had the bite in where my mouth was open, the least little bit of water in there would make me feel like I couldn't breathe, never mind the fact that my nose was completely unblocked.

Eventually I had to just kind of force myself to not panic, but it was still unpleasant as hell.

Try to find a way to tell the assistant what's going on. Point to the suction device if you have to. My dentist office is always really good to "listen" to my gestures and murmurs and try to help me relieve what's bothering me.

On interviews, I swear to God when I lose my current job, I'm never going through an extended interview again. I REFUSE to have to tell some goof at Wal-Mart what I consider to be positives and negatives about myself or tell him/her why I'm a good fit for Wal-Mart. "Because I'm breathing and am not currently on crystal meth" is not the answer they probably wanna hear, but it's the correct answer. I'm not begging for a shit job.

Robert: Five cats, one box? How many times a day do you scoop?

paper.

Because the dentist's office is one of the most awful and terrible places on earth.

Seriously, I have to go once a year, and I hate it more than just about anything.

It isn't just you, man.

UPS can lick me where I shit.

I ordered something and paid $34.00(!) for overnight air shipping. The fucking thing leaves the god damn facility no more than 20 minutes from my house in transit "on vehicle for delivery" at 8:31am, and it never fucking makes it here. It's now being delayed until Monday. I call to complain and they bounce me around to 3 different people, each somehow being less helpful and more incoherent than the previous. They have no idea why my delivery date could've possibly said the 5th or why it could've possibly said it was out for delivery and went on to read the timeline that was listed on my screen and changed at midnight. Useless, incompetent, motherfuckers.

Congratulations UPS you have now displaced fucking COMCAST as the shittiest company I've ever had to deal with over the phone. What can brown do for me? Clearly not a fucking thing because their customer service is absolutely, completely, and utterly fucking repugnant. Fuck them. Fuck them. Fuck them. Useless motherfuckers.

Sorry for venting and I know this is trivial bullshit but fuck it's been a long shitty day waiting around.

TL;DR this but with UPS.

Fuck myself for getting obsessed with bad cops the past few weeks. Reading all the information I've been reading and watching all the videos I've been watching is gonna end with me being snippy at the next cop I interact with and getting beat with a flashlight.

UPS is the worst.  I don't understand how any company without a monopoly can have such shit service.

I got royally fucked by FedEx at work this week.  A priority overnight package sat at the origin terminal for 4 days because of a hazard incompatibility.  Every time I called I got the runaround from customer service.  Luckily (or not) we're a big national account so I get to rain hellfire and brimstone on them from a very great height.

I think its luck of the draw.  I hate USPS, but my UPS driver is the nicest guy in the world, I've never had any issues with UPS in the five years I've lived at this address.  My only issue with FedEx is they always want a signature even if the shipper didn't request one (no idea why), so I get the package a day late.

I'm having problems with DHL myself currently. I ordered something from Hong Kong on Nov. 28th, the tracking has said "Shipment information Recieved - Hong Kong" ever since then. Hasn't moved an inch.

That is normal, do not worry about it.

Half the time they forget to scan the tracking number and the other half they scan the wrong number.  It will appear on your doorstep in like 2 weeks with no explanation.  

I order stuff on Amazon direct from Asia all the time.  Just par for the course for me.