DVDVR Message Board

SON OF A~!

jaedmc

On Thursday morning I was planning on getting up early (by my standards) to go Christmas shopping before work (I do late shifts). So I went to bed at 3AM, intending to wake up at about half nine or ten. At Six in the morning, my phone rings non-stop because my boss hasn't got his keys and can he borrow mine? I say OK. It takes him 45 minutes to find my house. So I don't get back to sleep until after seven, wake up at noon, and I bought nothing for Christmas this week.

If this had happened a year ago, I'd have still been playing GTA when he rang in the first place*. And he'd have known where I lived, because I hadn't moved yet.

I had been going to complain that I need more sleep since I moved house. My whole adult life I've been getting six hours a night and being fine, suddenly I'm sleeping 8 instead, and it's really annoying because that's two hours out of my day. But you don't appreciate something until you do without it, do you?

* One time last year, I got home from work about 11:30 pm, had my dinner, turned GTA on, played GTA until 9am, then had breakfast and went Christmas shopping with no sleep at all. Very easy in your early 20s. Not so clever in your late 30s, as I was then.

• Like 1

One guy who I knew, when he started in his shop, everyone who worked there was under 25. So they set the shift pattern as 3 Late (1430-2300), 3 early (0600-1430), 3 off. So once you're done, your 3 days off are actually 96 hours, or 4 days. But you have one day where you're finishing at eleven and starting again in seven hours. Easy when you're young, that.

They say that this time of the year is the worst time for those who are suffering from depression and feeling suicidal. It turns out they are right. Some time late Friday night my nephew's father hanged himself. He was 47, He left behind my fifteen year old nephew and a twenty-five year old daughter and three grand kids. A lot of people are asking themselves why and looking for answers and probably driving themselves crazy in the process. He was a good guy. Nobody saw this coming.

2014 has been the worst and most horrific year ever. I never want to look at the news again.

Nah, the news just makes you feel that way.  It's their job to scare you, to make you fear the world, and to feel like a disaster is every-looming.  

I'd venture to guess pretty much any year from 1939-45 would be a lot worse than 2014.

• Like 1

2014 has been the worst and most horrific year ever. I never want to look at the news again.

Nah, the news just makes you feel that way.  It's their job to scare you, to make you fear the world, and to feel like a disaster is every-looming.  

I'd venture to guess pretty much any year from 1939-45 would be a lot worse than 2014.

Or, like, any year before 1850.

I have to be in the right frame of mind to read them.  I kinda figure that the dumber the person, the stronger their opinions.  So I read the comments, or newspaper letters to the editor, or listen to call in shows with the specific goal of finding some weapons grade stupidity.  Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, I'm rarely disappointed.

I've decided my New Year's Resolution is going to be to NOT read the comments sections on news sites.  They completely bum me out to see how devolved we really are as a species.

It really is amazing how racist, sexist and downright stupid a huge percentage of people commenting are. 

• Like 1

I've decided my New Year's Resolution is going to be to NOT read the comments sections on news sites. They completely bum me out to see how devolved we really are as a species.

It really is amazing how racist, sexist and downright stupid a huge percentage of people commenting are.
I'm much more bummed out by the people ON the news.

reason.com/blog/2014/12/17/police-union-boss-defends-killing-of-tam

The commentators I didn't take seriously. I think the anonymous nature of the Internet makes people say shit they don't actually mean, especially when they're arguing with someone.

• Like 1

Yes.  I am going to go n a facebook vacation at the beginning of the new year, and I'm cutting 2/3 of my "friends" off my page.  

I liked people so much better when I didn't know their political or sociological leanings.

• Like 1

Yes.  I am going to go n a facebook vacation at the beginning of the new year, and I'm cutting 2/3 of my "friends" off my page.  

I liked people so much better when I didn't know their political or sociological leanings.

I find it funny that as the Internet and places like Facebook were supposed to bring us closer together it has only made us less tolerant of each other.

• Like 1

I find it funny that as the Internet and places like Facebook were supposed to bring us closer together it has only made us less tolerant of each other.

FUCK YOU!

only kidding

Yes. I am going to go n a facebook vacation at the beginning of the new year, and I'm cutting 2/3 of my "friends" off my page.

You're troubling.

martin_lawrence_smh_face.jpg

Traffic in Chicago these days is a horror show. Seems like everyone who is a horrible driver is out driving and they don't care about you.

Yesterday at about 10:25, I was working out when I heard a car slam into another car. I looked out the window and the car had hit a parked Audi SUV and the driver proceeded to keep hitting the gas until he pushed the Audi onto the sidewalk. I was about to grab my coat to check on them when I saw the man hit reverse and slowly take off, the front end of his car was gone and he was leaking fluid. I called 911 and reported it, I said "He shouldn't be that hard to find."

Talked to one of my neighbors whose son was Chicago PD and they said they caught the guy. He was drunk and had hit two more cars after the SUV. 10:25 AM and he was so fucking drunk he was wrecking into cars and still trying to drive.

The poor owner of the SUV didn't get home until 8:30 and his car sat fucked up like that all day. I felt bad for him. 8 days from Christmas and now you have to deal with this bullshit.