DVDVR Message Board

JUNE WRESTLING DISCUSSION

I don't do the Shield entrance or the Razor strut, but last year when I had to renew my license, I installed a trap door and some flame rigging so that I could enter like Gangrel.

The DMV ladies were unimpressed as per usual. Sigh.

Amateur hour. I do the Shawn Michaels WrestleMania 12 entrance everyday at work. What a ride!!!!!!

Tell me you go, "Weeeee!"

TELL ME YOU GO "WEEEEE!"

Oh man, finding stock WCW music in the wild is one of the most satisfying things ever for a late '90s fan.

This Kids in the Hall clip is probably one of my favorite instances:

They play the Lex Luger theme from a few pages back quite frequently during highlight packages on ESPN, too, which is always a real treat. I was an NWO kid, but I always loved that entrance. I remember when he beat Hogan for the belt on Nitro, I was so fucking pissed off, but part of me still enjoyed hearing that song and watching The Giant clean the spray paint off the big gold belt. Not as much as I enjoyed watching Hulk flip a table and hearing Macho scream "IT WAS A FLUKE, BROTHER!!" however.

I can't find it right now, but has anyone ever heard the version of the 1st Chris Jericho theme that has lyrics? We used it in some of my TV production classes in college. I can't remember any of the lyrics except for "THESE ARE THE DAYYYYS OF MY LIIIIIIIIIIIIIFE" I can't remember which stock music library it's from but I'd love to hear it. That theme always reminds me of staying up to watch Worldwide at like 2 AM on local TV. I remember raging the fuck out when it was pre-empted for coverage of the Princess Diana car accident/death.

EDIT: Holy shit balls, I found it.

• Like 2

Didn't WCW use a lot of public domain and cheap stock production music?

A lot of it was production music and Jimmy Hart tracks that had been liberally "influenced" by others. The Benoit theme is similar to a Machines of Loving Grace song, Booker T's was essentially a funkified version of a Kraftwerk song, Saturn ripped off "The Beautiful People", DDP's was "Smells Like Teen Spirit", Raven was "Come As You Are", Chris Jericho was "Even Flow", and so on.

Of course, WWE's not exempt from this, either. I know that Too Cool's theme has turned up lots of places.

Didn't WCW use a lot of public domain and cheap stock production music?

A lot of it was production music and Jimmy Hart tracks that had been liberally "influenced" by others. The Benoit theme is similar to a Machines of Loving Grace song, Booker T's was essentially a funkified version of a Kraftwerk song, Saturn ripped off "The Beautiful People", DDP's was "Smells Like Teen Spirit", Raven was "Come As You Are", Chris Jericho was "Even Flow", and so on.

Of course, WWE's not exempt from this, either. I know that Too Cool's theme has turned up lots of places.

Hardcore Holly's music shows up.a lot of places as well. Never realized that about the Benoit song, is that a "Butterfly Wings" knockoff?

Similar vein here, how many of you used to frequent the Unistork website?

I love how the vocal version of Jericho's first WCW theme almost sounds like it could be Jericho singing. Also, if you speed up the pace and thrown in a couple guitar solos, it could be a Dragonforce song.

On the topic of doing wrestler mannerisms in the wild, there was a year-long period where when I was drunk (at least six drinks in) and people would ask me how I was doing, I would throw my arms in the air like Owen Hart at the Slammys and shout "Wooooooo!"

And during college, I regularly did the La Parka dance while out at bars and clubs.

Also I think Sky Blue Sam (sorry if I'm wrong!) has the best story about pro wres in the real world in a nightclub in London. I won't steal his thunder

Bless you kind sir, though I fear the story doesn't live up to the hype...

Basically, the weekend before Christmas, I was DJing with a friend an all-day music festival that another friend of mine was running in London. Because no-one was really dancing in between the bands, my friend and I were saving the obvious dance floor songs until the evening when everybody would dance, so just entertained ourselves with stuff we wanted to hear during the day. Anyway, after one band, I decided to throw a wrestling theme out there. My friend was slightly embarrassed by the idea, but I pointed out that, as I was wearing a "Defend Indy Wrestling" t-shirt, anyone who did recognise it would blame me, not him. I'm not going to lie and claim the song caused some dance floor mania, but it got the best reaction of any song we played during the day portion of the show, and a pocket of people dancing. There was a load of head nodding, arm-swaying and a man running excitedly up to us screaming "Is this fucking Mark Henry's theme!?!"

As a thank you for indulging me in this story, please enjoy my favourite Jimmy Hart WCW ripoff...Brian Knobb's "My Sharona"

http://youtu.be/gkl7thKXweg

• Like 3

Paul Orndorff's late 95 theme was a good one too:

In typical WCW fashion, they removed the lyrics and recycled it for The Maestro. 

Awesome! Never could find this version available in clear.

The previously mentioned Benoit "Replica" theme with lyrics was always my favorite of the WCW stock music.

• Like 1

WWE reused a few. Ezekiel Jackson got the Brawl for All theme iirc only a rap version. Angle took the Patriot's theme. Punk took an Orton castoff.

Jesus, what happened to that guy? Completely forgot he existed

Whenever I'm wearing a jacket, I channel Ric Flair when taking it off by throwing it on the ground and dropping an elbow.

My suit jacket fell off the back of my chair once and I was alone in my apartment. So I did what any sensible bachelor would do and walked over and elbow dropped it B)

So I realize I am probably the last person to learn this but apparently Mickie James is 6 months pregnant... which would explain the whole "not doing any wrestling stuff" thing

Of course - weirder was I found out via Mark Henry's twitter

Paul Orndorff's late 95 theme was a good one too:

In typical WCW fashion, they removed the lyrics and recycled it for The Maestro. 

Awesome! Never could find this version available in clear.

The previously mentioned Benoit "Replica" theme with lyrics was always my favorite of the WCW stock music.

I'm happy to say that I once came out to this music for a match.  The Benoit w/lyrics, that is.

• Like 1