DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2014: MAY

RIPPA

I asked this on Twitter last night, and no one knew: why the FUCK does that guy have a Wrigley Field patch on his Cardinals jersey?

This is why

js2o2ghlis2cd7xzcyie.jpg

Not that it wasn't clear from his sign but only a true douche would have a patch like that on a jersey of his favorite team.

How 'bout them Blue Jays???

A walk-off bunt scores Kevin Pillar from 1st

Pillar and Gose are playing like major leaguers this time.  Wonder what will become of Colby Rasmus.  Jays team will be fun to watch until the pitching goes kaboom.  Liam Hendriks was giving poor Anthony Gose the workout of his life tonight

Rick Reilly was given a challenge.  "Make me hate Derek Jeter in 1000 words or less."  Or at least, that's what I hope.

He was a kind of prince in baseball cleats, George Clooney in pinstripes, the guy every woman wanted to bring home to mom, and very few did.

One time, in Chicago, when he was a rookie, he tried to steal third with two outs and the big slugger Cecil Fielder up. He got caught. What did he do? He went and sat next to his manager. "I knew I'd screwed up," he said. "I wanted him to be able to yell at me if he wanted."

Ugh.  

The Brewers are coming for you in July! World Series preview! In this alternate world where neither of our teams collapse into a horrible second half spiral of doom.

• Like 2

Rick Reilly was given a challenge.  "Make me hate Derek Jeter in 1000 words or less."  Or at least, that's what I hope.

He was a kind of prince in baseball cleats, George Clooney in pinstripes, the guy every woman wanted to bring home to mom, and very few did.

One time, in Chicago, when he was a rookie, he tried to steal third with two outs and the big slugger Cecil Fielder up. He got caught. What did he do? He went and sat next to his manager. "I knew I'd screwed up," he said. "I wanted him to be able to yell at me if he wanted."

Ugh.  

"He was the best player in baseball for a good 10 years straight"

That's hilarious.  During Jeter's best stretch, he wasn't even the best SS in his league let alone best player in baseball.  To be fair, he a run where he was REALLY great (like 1998-2000) but some dude named Alex was even better.

I think we can all agree that Jeter's dating diamond tops, well, pretty much everybody other than maybe George Clooney. 

Was reading an article about pitcher's arms and one of the commenters mentioned a June 14, 1974 game featuring Luis Tiant vs Nolan Ryan.  The game went 15 innings, with Ryan throwing the first 13 innings, while allowing 3 runs, striking out 19 and walking 10.  Supposedly he threw 254 pitches.  Tiant meanwhile pitched a 14-1/3 inning complete game, losing the game in the bottom of the 15th.  The game lasted just 4:02.  Ryan went out and threw 6 shutout innings against the Yankees four days later.

Best player in baseball? He wasn't even the best player on his team. He was very good for a long time, and probably belongs in the HOF, but let's try to have some perspective. Also, I will give him props for not responding when I paid a waiter at the Metropolitan Grill $20 to bring him a vinegar and water, from "a fan". (I still think it was bloody hilarious, and one of my finer moments as a baseball fan, right up there with being ejected from the Kingdome for heckling Jack Clark...)

• Like 1

Was reading an article about pitcher's arms and one of the commenters mentioned a June 14, 1974 game featuring Luis Tiant vs Nolan Ryan.  The game went 15 innings, with Ryan throwing the first 13 innings, while allowing 3 runs, striking out 19 and walking 10.  Supposedly he threw 254 pitches.  Tiant meanwhile pitched a 14-1/3 inning complete game, losing the game in the bottom of the 15th.  The game lasted just 4:02.  Ryan went out and threw 6 shutout innings against the Yankees four days later.

Back when men were men. . . .

Don't worry, fellas.  If you were feeling jealous, resentful, unfulfilled....Internet Clooney has you covered. 

CF
                            Mop Hair
LF                                                    RF
Drunk Face                                Fish Lips

2b
                                    Dead Eyes
                       SS                                     
         Smug Mouth                                     1b
3b                                                              Bony Hips
Alien Skull

C                                       DH
                        Bug eyes                           Crazy