DVDVR Message Board

I would hope not seeing as how they have to make Avengers 2 first.

Of course, it's not all positive, it's the internet. It wasn't positive when Bradley Cooper was announced as Rocket.

Captain America s not going to beat a Batman/Superman movie.

SPIN THE WHEEL, MAKE THE DEAL BOYS

I want to know all the members of Team Jacob vs. Team Edwa...I mean the MCU vs. DCU. So far it's Big Fresh & VileOne vs. Niners & Ligerbusa. Gotta be more of you around here.

• Like 2

I've never bothered with all the dick measuring of how much money a movie makes, as long as i enjoy it. Have Marvel had more hits than DC in the past decade of film? easily, but they have also released probably 3 times as many movies. If they had released Batman/Superman and Captain America 3 on the same day like originally planned i would have seen Batman/Superman on opening day and Captain America 3 a week or 2 later when i had time. Now i can watch them both when they are released if i want to. I've never been a big Cap fan, despite The Winter Soldier being on of the best movies this year. And i'm more of a Batman fan than i am purely a comic book fan.

I guess sign me up for the DC side as i am already looking forward to more big screen Batman than i am Captain America.

Captain America s not going to beat a Batman/Superman movie.

You must think that "A" stands for France.

I'm terrible at predicting numbers for opening weekends, but what the fuck, let's have some fun. Cap 2 did 95 mil, GOTG did 94.... I'll go with 97 million for Cap 3. I reserve the right to revise this if they reveal the storyline for it and it sucks or if Avengers 2 is terrible for some reason.

And BVS at 95 mill.

I think Cap 3 will do more internationally. BvS will have a MUCH larger opening weekend, but based on what we've seen from MoS, and from promo stuff for it, will likely top out just north of $300M, where Cap (domestically) will level out around $290M.

I'm on team "want better movies all around"

• Like 1

Can't we just be geeks that love good stuff and hate crap equally, regardless of brand?

No. Because then I'd have to learn a ton of shit about the DC universe and read a bunch of their comics like I did for Marvel. It's less time-consuming to just blindly hate them ;)

• Like 1

I think Cap 3 will do more internationally. BvS will have a MUCH larger opening weekend, but based on what we've seen from MoS, and from promo stuff for it, will likely top out just north of $300M, where Cap (domestically) will level out around $290M.

I'm on team "want better movies all around"

That doesn't make much sense. It would have to be the inverse. Captain America 3 would have to blow its doors off domestically (close to IM3 numbers opening weekend), but then get beat by the Batman name anchoring the title internationally. If this was MoS2 with no tease of Batman whatsoever, I could definitely see that without a doubt since there is a precedent with Superman Returns crashing and burning internationally. Can see it head to head, too. But a Batman/Superman movie being very successful stateside and not so internationally (with no major competition for a month as of now) would be an industry oddity.

Anyway, Basara is the only one who wants to step up? He ain't the one posting images and GIFs in the Marvel Studios and DC threads. What happened to the people talking cash shit?

I'm on the third Team "Please Lord of Light don't let the writer/director have their head up their own asses and fuck the story up for some preachy bullshit that fucks up the characters completly like TDKR and Winter Solider".  I hope that BvS is fucking awesome and undoes the abomination that was TDKR, and that A2/Cap3 addresses and fixes the shit that came about because of the preachy love letter to whistleblowers.

Yes, while I came around and like about 99% of Cap 2, the solution, actions, and flippant to the consiquenses attitude of the Heroes at the end fucking irks me to no end and I will argue it was more against those 5 characters than Supes breaking Zod's neck was in MoS.

• Like 1

SPIN THE WHEEL, MAKE THE DEAL BOYS

I want to know all the members of Team Jacob vs. Team Edwa...I mean the MCU vs. DCU. So far it's Big Fresh & VileOne vs. Niners & Ligerbusa. Gotta be more of you around here.

Team Marvel all day. Will I see BVS? Yep. Will Cap 3 be better and make more...Yes! Yes! Yes!

• Like 2

I could care less either way, but the Marvel echo chamber around here is hilarious.

The damn Lego movie just got done riding Batman's coattails to $250 million and we've got dudes in here estimating the top on The Motherfucking Batman versus SUPERMAN at $300 mil.

smdh

I've avoided this thread until now. FINALLY watched Guardians of the Galaxy tonight and it did not disappoint. It was excellent. It transitioned very well from serious moments back to comedy and so on and the comedy bits were often hilarious. Pratt was spectacular and might be my favorite guy working in the MCU right now. Groot and Rocket were great but I expected them to be. 'Tista was probably the biggest surprise. I wouldn't say he stole the show but he was so much funnier than I ever thought he'd be and when it was time to kick ass he did. I could have used a little bit more of Gamora being a badass but maybe she'll shine in part 2. There were a couple issues like with the Nova Corps but I'm not super invested in them so it didn't take me out of the movie or anything. Ronan was okay. Marvel Studios is still lacking in how they handle their villains. I loved the bit with Thanos, though. He didn't flex on Ronan but he did well enough in talking down to him which was important because everyone else in the entire movie was like "Oh fuck, we can't do shit to Ronan!" and Thanos spoke to him like he was a toddler. It was effective. I loved all the little side characters and exploring the new worlds. There's so much potential with this series it's scary..

NEW LIST!!!

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

2. Guardians of the Galaxy

3. The Avengers

4. Iron Man

5. Captain America: The First Avenger

6. Thor

7. The Incredible Hulk

8. Thor: The Dark World

9. Iron Man 2

10. Iron Man 3

I could care less either way, but the Marvel echo chamber around here is hilarious.

The damn Lego movie just got done riding Batman's coattails to $250 million and we've got dudes in here estimating the top on The Motherfucking Batman versus SUPERMAN at $300 mil.

smdh

*Couldn't care less

And the Lego movie was not successful because of Batman. That's nuts.

• Like 6

I have real and honest disdain over the tone of the DC movies and the shift from "You will believe a man can fly" to gloom and doom and really with our society that it's taken that to be successful, that it's actually working for the most part. It's tied into how alienated I feel over the new 52 era of DC and feeling like I've lost, quite permanently, something I once was hugely invested in. That said, I don't talk about the movies much because despite my disdain, I have the marvel movies (and comics) to focus on and frankly, I just don't care. I'm not so insecure in my comics fanbase that I feel the need to hide behind the social legitimacy of a blockbuster movie. I'm not going to see BvS in the theater unless the kid really wants to, and he doesn't know that it's coming at all, I don't think. He knows about Ant Man and Avengers 2 and Guardians 2 and cap 3 and the rumors about Doctor Strange. So maybe I'll catch it for a buck on redbox. I haven't seen Spider-MAn 2 yet and I'm in no rush. If you guys hadn't talked up Days of Future Past, I probably wouldn't have seen that. 

So yeah, I really, really dislike the DC tone and direction and everything I've seen and heard about it. It's not some loyalty thing. I WANT DC movies that I like, but I don't need DC movies at all if what they're doing is against everything I care about the properties. They're sort of dead to me though, so you don't hear nearly as much from me as you do from, let's say, Mike.

• Like 4

smdh

Because comic book movies are SERIOUS business. Man...already said I'll watch them both. Hell.. I'm sure I'll like BVS, but Cap 3 will be better.but that's just like my opinion,man.

This "I don't want my comic book movies to be serious" discussion is the worst thing ever and it's been going on now for years. It's worse than "John Cena can't wrestle" which thankfully does not exist on this board or "Triple H is burying the roster" which still does..   

The Batman trilogy was insanely successful. We get it... Not everyone enjoyed them but most people did. DC has decided to move in a direction that made them a ton of money. DC has been pretty dark for a while now.. and actually Marvel comics has been dark as well outside of the MCU.. 

I'd love if we could maybe go back to discussing the awesome GotG movie?