DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

I think a hypothetical, WCW-produced "Rise and Fall of WWE" DVD would have Bischoff criticizing WWE's pushing of WCW-castoffs like Austin, Foley, and Triple H.

I was under the impression that this Monday Night War thing would coincide with actual episodes of Nitro/Raw from whatever week they were talking about.

One thing I really enjoyed were the clips of Ted Turner from 1998, especially when he pointed out that Vince wasn't entitled to a monopoly. Really wish Turner got back in the game.

Triple H & Foley I could in vision that but not Austin because he wouldve hired him in a heart beat and had him on a Hogan schedule in it happened before he retired. I'd really like to know if 'Taker would have come in as a "taker like gimmick or would he have just retired or do like Sting and join at the end of your career?

In a hypothetical "Death of the WWF" scenario, you have to have Austin not return from his SummerSlam 97 neck injury. In that event, the WWF never recovers from Bret leaving and Shawn getting hurt and is dead in 2001. The last RAW is Eric Bischoff coming out and saying that AOL Time Warner has purchased the WWF. We get Rock/Hogan at Starrcade 2001. 

"The Rise and Fall of the WWF" focuses on how Vince tried to use Rock vs. HHH to carry the WWF through its dying years and while Rock broke out as a star, it wasn't enough to save them. 

I just got the Network, and I'm starting from the beginning of the WWE pay-per-view section.

WrestleMania Thoughts

I love how Lord Alfred Hayes introduces the matches, and the wrestlers walk right past him on the way to the ring.

Those MSG fans must have been going crazy at the idea of seeing Bruno Sammartino, Hulk Hogan and Muhammad Ali on the same show.

Greg Valentine's Intercontinental title belt looks like it came from an indy fed.

Liberace and the Rockettes didn't seem to know when to stop doing the kick line.

MVP: Mr. T. He looked really good for what he was supposed to do in the ring.

On the other hand, the women's title match was really sloppy.

For the last two bouts, it was amazing how crowded it was on the floor with all the photographers and cops among the managers and seconds who were trying to interfere.

Next: The Wrestling Classic. Can't wait!

Let's all pool together and create a fake documentary that a victorious WCW would have made 15 years after the fact if they had won the War. Kickstarter for everyone.

So basically, this: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/csa_confederate_states_of_america/

But the pro wrestling version.

That movie pissed off my GF so badly. "I KNOW it's fake and it's STILL pissing the hell out of me!"

The last two or three minutes of Dory Funk Jr. vs. Nick Bockwinkel is amazing. Love that thing. It starts out sooooooooo slow and then they have this great 2.9-trading finishing run if I recall correctly. 

Enjoyed the Jeff Hardy DVD from 09 that aired tonight. Absolutely loved his 06-09 run. Forgot how long the Jeff/Morrison feud was and how it carried over to becoming Hardyz/MNM, some awesome stuff there. The Jeff/Morrison IC title matches from late 06 ruled as of course did the tags in early 07. His matches with Orton, Umaga, and HHH were some of the best stuff from 08. Jeff's WWE title win remains one of my all time favorite moments and the Punk feud was excellent with a perfectly done blowoff.

What if Turner...  bought....  TNA?!  OH MY. 

Turner Non-stop Action!

I understand her hate. A Civil War and Reconstruction professor I had showed that to us at the end of the semester and I was still pretty appalled.

Saw it in a Civil War/Reconstruction course in college. The director is from Kansas (close to where I went to school in MO) and I recall him showing up there (or maybe someone else linked to the movie) and mentioning that when they showed the movie to white audiences, they were sorta unsure of how to react without coming off badly and that when they showed it to a black audience, they were much more amused by certain elements of the movie.

as for Rise and Fall of the WWF, if Austin doesn't come back in this scenario, then you kinda have to have The Rock not get over as much either. So the WWF is running Mankind v. HHH in their last days.

I've been a little disappointed in the Monday Night Wars so far. Perhaps it's just territory that has been gone over too often already. It feels like a retread.

That's where I am with it too. Plus, I'm just dreading the "DX was the most brilliant hillarious thing ever and it made Ted Turner weep bitter tears in the dead of night" thing which you KNOW is coming.

• Like 1

Narrator:The AWA mistreated Hulk Hogan, the biggest wrestling star in the world at the time, and AWA fans demanded a company that would support their champion. Thankfully, Vince McMahon was there to give Hogan a chance to become an even bigger star than everyone dreamed, and AWA fans responded immediately by demanding that McMahon bring the WWF to their area.

Vince: "I saw that Hogan was a star, but with me, he would be a mega-star, and I believe in giving the fans what they want."

The Miz: "No one liked the AWA! I mean, they were crazy not pushing Hogan! CRAZY! I couldn't believe how they treated the biggest megasuperduperstar in the whole universe!"

Narrator: A vindictive Verne Gagne, head of AWA, tried to retaliate by luring Sgt. Slaughter to jump ship on the WWF. However, Gagne's plan went awry when he paired Slaughter with his son, Greg, and ratings and attendance tanked even further for AWA shows."

Stephanie: "My dad beat the AWA because all the AWA had were dirty tricks and nepotism, and you can't build a company on qualities like those."

AJ Lee: "I couldn't believe it when they tried to steal Sgt. Slaughter, one of my heroes as a little girl, and team him up with Greg Gagne. It was like, 'Come on, who believes that a skinny dude with no muscles is that tough?'"

• Like 8

I'm sad they seem to have given up on regularly updating the wccw, ecw and house shows.

Be patient, once they shut up the people demanding the attitude era maybe they will get around to it.

• Like 1

Talking about "MSG Classics" in the KOT thread makes me think they should add that entire series to the "Old School" tier. It's 75+ hours of ready-made product... no muss, no fuss.

I'm sad they seem to have given up on regularly updating the wccw, ecw and house shows.

They seemed to have stopped updating Countdown also, but then in one of the several "Hey!  Your subscription is about to end!  Act Now!  Please!" emails I've gotten, they said Countdown Season 2 was coming soon, so maybe they're going to do the same thing with those others.

I have to say, Vince's story about Ted Turner telling him why he was winning in the ratings was worth the rest of this self serving hour.  I wonder how often the two of them talked during the Monday Night Wars, and I wonder if Vince taped any of those calls.  I'm sure they are the most ridiculous conversations ever.

Watching Saturday Night Main Event six and what a wild show that was. The crowd looked like it was going to riot during the Hogan/JYD vs Funks match. I dig Dory wearing a All Japan jacket during his interview. The Adonis/Orndorff match was something else. I haven't seen much of Adonis during this era but he went all out for the gimmick.

I also was the fifth SNME and was surprised they kept in "We are the Champions" for Beefcake/Valentine's entrance.

Watching Saturday Night Main Event six and what a wild show that was. The crowd looked like it was going to riot during the Hogan/JYD vs Funks match. I dig Dory wearing a All Japan jacket during his interview. The Adonis/Orndorff match was something else. I haven't seen much of Adonis during this era but he went all out for the gimmick.

I also was the fifth SNME and was surprised they kept in "We are the Champions" for Beefcake/Valentine's entrance.

Clearly they are testing the waters, because while they overdubbed "Grab Them Cakes" for the JYD/Funk match for the 10/85 SNME, they stopped caring once the bell rang, because "Another One Bites the Dust" is pretty obvious.  And it makes it that much better.  It's like I'm getting away with something.