DVDVR Message Board

A TNA Timeline

First-time poster, longtime lurker. Huge thanks for posting the TNA Wiki, I found myself going down a two-hour rabbit hole that was equal parts hilarious and depressing. This company is like a genetically engineered abomination that combined the DNA of 1980s AWA, WCW and Herb Abrams' UWF. It's frustrating to see every opportunity the company had to become something entertaining just to have Dixie Carter snuff it out.  

• Like 1

Oh man I totally forgot about that whole "Red Shirt Security" and "Black Shirt Security" thing. I remember being utterly confused at the time. I couldn't comprehend the fact that they were actually having the TNA security team win the Tag titles.

And my favourite terrible TNA moment is when that one girl (cannot remember her name, thus cannot find the video), went up to Kid Kash backstage and talked about how she liked it when he dropped her on her head, then put her hand down the front of his tights and gave him a handjob, but *SWERVE* she was using some sort of lotion that caused his balls to burn and lead to him rolling around on the floor selling testicular pain.  To me, that explains TNA in a nutshell, stupid concept that gets stupider and causes unberable pain.

I would have continued from here. Hot Hands Brooks, submission expert who wins by testicular and vaginal claw. 

• Like 3

One of the things about LOL TNA that i find disturbing so far is that it comes off written by someone ultra smarky. VR 2004 was in no way a bad PPV at the time. The Piper's Pit segment was awesome and worked well to bring attention to guys like Dutt, Shane, and Kazarian (who were all new to me at the time). Also, what is this stuff about Savage working ZERO Impacts prior to Turning Point 2004? Just 100% not true or am I just fantasizing Macho Man leading the entire face roster to the ring against The KOW?

In his over snarky review of TNA 2007 The writer mentions Disco Inferno coming back and it seems that this was something else that flew over his head. This was done in relation to the movie The Big Comback or The Comback or WHATEVER THE FUCK IS WAS CALLED.

Also, what is this about:

Neilson Corporation offered to buy TNA in May 2005 for $10,000,000 USD from Panda Energy; however, Panda Energy expressed no interest. Morphoplex, a major TNA sponsor, offered Panda Energy $20,000,000 USD for the company later that month, which was also rejected.

Right now, I assume TNA makes between 10-15 million dollars a year and has been in that range for at lest 2009. I can't see someone offering TNA 10 let alone 20 million dollars in 2005 while keeping a straight face. Is there any other news on this?

Edit: according to 411Mania

411mania.com/wrestling/news/24421

and more...

The Nelson Corporation pulls TNA offer

Credit: Prowrestling.com

THE NELSON CORPORATION AND PARTNERS PULL TNA OFFER

As of Noon on May 31, 2005, the offer to purchase TNA Wrestling from Panda has been withdrawn. The 10 Million dollar offer has been retracted as the deadline has passed and no response was given. We feel that more then adequate time was given for Panda Energy to respond and at this time will move forward with the start of a new Wrestling Company to kick off in early Fall of this year.

We recognize the fact that TNA has lost the deal with WGN and currently has no Television Deal to carry the company except for the Pay Per Views they do monthly which do not clear enough revenue to keep the company afloat.

We are aware that there could be a possible deal with Spike down the road, but with the current deal that was in the works with Spike it would not benefit the company in a long term Network deal, and it would prove fatal to TNA to make a deal that is contingent on ratings.
We do wish TNA the very best and hope that there will be a light at the end of the tunnel, but it would appear that TNA has a rough road ahead.

Now on the NWA Ohio side, we will move forward in the next few months with the announcement of the next big company, and will at that time disclose the names of the two wrestling figures backing Dave Nelson and his venture to build yet another Federation here in North America, and open a new avenue for professional wrestling today. Together with Old School and new age wrestling, we will design a product that offers the best of both worlds, tradition and Extreme wrestling, offering good story lines, and well maintained Events that come to small towns and big cities alike, to bring the fans a show that gets up close and personal like no other company has yet to offer.
A new beginning, and a Fresh product for the people who matter most, YOU THE FANS.....

Thank you, Dave Nelson, CEO

It's amazing that despite all the TNA shit through the years there were at least 3 instances we know of (JJ/Keith being the most recent) where people for some reason were insterested in purchasing the company.

www.nwaohio.com released the following statment today:

“The Nelson Corporation and NWA Ohio has placed an offer on the table to purchase TNA's 71% from Panda Energy, He has recruited Hacksaw Jim Duggan and other legendary Wrestlers to work within his negotiations. This past week Dave met with Frank Richardson, CEO of TNA Wrestling, and also with Jeff and Jerry Jarrett.
Read more at http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/news/24421#m7ABrmyyUrSkqQh7.99

The Carter's are incredibly stubborn people. I mean they must be if they built up an energy company that can piss away millions of dollars on the world's most expensive vanity project/tax shelter.

I mean could you imagine if in 1999 someone went to Paul E and offered $10 million for ECW. Paul would look like that cartoon where the only thing left was a smoke outline because he took the money and was long gone. But I can see why people would want to buy TNA. It's a lot easier to buy an existing company with tv and ppv deals in place rather than start from the ground up.

Say what you want, but absolutely nothing ever materialized from those guys who offered the $10 million. They wrote all that stuff bashing TNA and talking about how they were going to go forward with another project but I don't think they were ever heard from again. More than likely TNA would be dead by now had those guys taken over.

If I recall correctly, they were kind of trying to throw stuff together to fill time while they were working out whatever was wrong with the building.  I had heard that Young just started ad libbing his paranoia gimmick that he didn't want to get blamed for the fire and to get fired.  If they just had Monty go out and kill time for three minutes on an unplanned promo, it wasn't bad for a short notice deal.  A bunch of Monty's promo stuff seemed rough around the edges, but it did seem like he he stuck with wrestling, he could really have been a money guy.

In his over snarky review of TNA 2007 The writer mentions Disco Inferno coming back and it seems that this was something else that flew over his head. This was done in relation to the movie The Big Comback or The Comback or WHATEVER THE FUCK IS WAS CALLED.

I remember that whole deal. In fact, I remember it quite well as it featured one of my favorite Scott Steiner moments in TNA. Before his comeback match Disco was doing a sitdown interview with Tenay where he was claiming he's going to be making a big comeback. Tenay was doubting him but Disco was being super serious about it. Then right at the end Steiner casually walked in, took a quick look at Disco, said "Give it up" and walked away. It was just so hilariously random. I still crack up a bit thinking about it. As you said though, that whole Disco comeback was in no way meant to be taken seriously. It was a promotional deal with The Comebacks movie (which was a comedy spoofing sports movies).

Oh Scott Steiner.  Any time TNA gave him a mic it was at the very least fun to hear. I still fondly remember the promo for a PPV match between him and Samoa Joe, which basically consists of Steiner calling Joe "a half-breed" and fat a lot. But somehow it manages to be really captivating and makes me want to see the match.

Found it, it's for Slammiversary 2007

• Like 2

It was Slammiversary 2006. And I duuno about anyone else, but I like that match a lot.

Same here. A lot of people make light of the huge high-five celebration West and Tenay had about the announcement of the match, while overlooking that the angle involved Steiner being an asshole & pushing wrestlers and staff around, so Joe - a major ass-kicker at the time - being signed to face the bully BPP made a celebration make sense.

I feel like we could make the timeline of wasted talent and/or missed opportunities.

Samoa Joe

heel Don West/Amazing Red's manager

The X Division

The Women's Division

Monty Brown

CM Punk

Raven-Jarrett

Eric Young

Christopher Daniels

Kazarian

Alex Shelley

Hey remember that time someone put a laugh track to I think a 2007 Impact and it fit perfectly?