DVDVR Message Board

The NXT Thread

rzombie1988

It says something when NXT gave me a match where the wrestler I like the best is Connor O'Brien. Though to be fair to the Wolves, I actually have thoughts on them, as opposed to Victor who I nothing.

Opener was a good time. Emma/Nattie was what it was. Kofi is here, so I got something to not really care about. Main was fun.

I'm not as down on The Ascension's wrestling as most, but that was probably the clunkiest they've ever looked. That gimmick needs turning up or scrapping, Why are they supposed to be evil? They don't do anything particularly diabolical. They need to become way more sadistic in ring, or get a gimmick like a weird box with some hideous torture inside that they try and inflict on people. Hell, give them the Brood's blood bath, Right now, they are just dudes in wacky clothes who make funny faces in blue light. Yes, I realise that's all the Undertaker's done since 2003. 

If I were training the NXT announcers, I would tell them to put over how The Ascension uses their music, outfits and lighting to psych out their opponents, like Demolition did in the late '80s with their music, masks and leather get-ups.

I made it to the last NXT FCW Arena show.

Having never been too the FCW Arena before I was surprised at its size but it was very cool for a show. I hope Kern or someone still uses that space for Wrestling in the Tampa area.

The show was fun. A few guys i've not yet seen on NXT TV yet worked and were pretty fun.

Eddie Guerreros daughter worked a tag match with a girl I didn't know against Bailey and Emma. Eddies daughter is VERY nice looking.

Adam Rose wrestled someone. I didn't realize he was the former Kruger until the local teen smart mark crew started chanted at him. Complete 180 from Kraven the Hunter to a kinda effeminate hippy... And he shaved, so he looks younger.

Eugene did some comedy bit with Aiden English singing Christmas songs. Aiden is a big dude and I don't think that comes across on TV. He's probably a legit 6'1" and just broad. I had forgotten Dinsmore was back with the WWE.

Favorite part of the night though.

Kalisto gets his intro  from the ring announcer and does his stick thing. Lights go out. Emergency signal sound blares.

Light come on. Solomon Crowe is in the ring with his tablet. Instead of letting the announcer give his stats, Crowe taps his tablet and a kinda robot female voice give his height and weight. It was REALLY cool.

Finish was Kalisto getting the advantage and setting up a move, he gets Crowe up, lights go out, you can hear them hit the mat, lights come on and Crowe is on top, 1.2.3 pin. He rolls off, grabs his tablet, stands up, says, "Bye-bye" in a cool way. Hits hit tablet, lights off, weird Emergency music and he was gone.

I don't think a lot of the crowd knew him as Callahan (except those teen smarks who of course chanted Callahan) but he got a "that was awesome" chant when he left. SUPER cool. I REALLY hope he keeps this as part of his gimmick. Even in a small venue it comes across big time.

Main was Billy v Bo. Very fun no dq match with 7 or 8 run ins (including Norman Smiley and Eugene) with people hitting their finishers on Billy and Bo. Ends with Bo hitting a spear on Billy.

They brought out Steve Keirn and gave him a plaque. Big FCW chant.

Whole locker room came out. Good times.

• Like 2

I think that was probably one of the better Ascension matches I've seen. Ascension usually look like some some combination of clumsy/boring/plodding/green as grass.  Davey over rotating on the backdrop spot is something that probably anyone doing the spot gets a little ahead of themselves from time to time.  If anything it was a spot that should have been saved for a match further down the road.  It would have made more sense in a rematch - especially considering WWE's style of match psychology.

I'm not a fan of Ascension as wrestlers on their own or as a team at all.  The name sucks too.  That match actually made them look like something more than a (relatively) cool look for a wrestling poster from a kid's point of view.

I was going to do a full write-up of the show. But we really, really, really are underselling the Enzo Amore/Kass/Aiden English segment... especially "I'm going to drop you like an unnecessary theater elective!" BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah, this. Big Cass is underrated on the mic due to Enzo, but that was clearly a segment with 3 guys who can talk pretty damn well.

Bah, I didn't get said clip on my DVRing of it.  I need Enzo!

I thought the announcers this week were Tensai, Byron Saxton and Tom Phillips (Not sure on the last one, truth be told, the announcers who aren't former wrestlers all run together for me).

I went to the final NXT house show or 2013 tonight at the armory. It was pretty much the same show as the NXT arena show except not Bayley, Emma or Steve Keirn. It was mostly a casual crowd so they really didn't get the Solomon Crowe gimmick. In fact they booed the finish which made me sad. He's gonna be over huge at the NXT arena though. Best match of the night was Ty Dillenger/Baron Corbin vs CJ Parker and Jason Jordan match. Jordan did a split leg moonsault off the top rope. I was not expecting that. Parker is a fun house show gimmick. Kruger's new gimmick reminds me of Michael PS Hayes without the robe or charisma.

Billy Gunn vs Bo Dallas was something else. Billy was blown up after his entrance and couldn't do much but brawl outside and take punishment. I marked out for the random Robbie Brookside and Eugene run ins. The scary moment of the night featured Bill Demott doing a run in to do the No Laughing matter on Bo. Byron Saxton run out and hits Bill in the knee and Bill falls off the ropes and lands badly on his head. I thought for sure he broke his neck and he was down for a while but he walked out of the ring.

The telling thing of the night is how much the drop off is in the nxt roster after Sami/Neville/Paige/Emma/Bayley etc. They got some good talent but when those guys leave, it's gonna be rough.

Yeah, same exact card.

I forgot to mention Jason Jordan. I think he might be a break out star down the line. He has a great look and great charisma. 

Demott did pretty much the same exact bump in Tampa. Only when he did it there, he looked like he broke his leg/shin in the second rope. He stayed down for a good 5 minutes. One of the refs was checking on him and Demott bonked the Ref with a shot to the for-head. The ref walked away after that. Either he likes taking that bump and selling it, or he messed up back to back.

Did Crowe win with the Black Out move?

I forgot to mention Jason Jordan. I think he might be a break out star down the line. He has a great look and great charisma. 

From what I remember from Naylor's Wrestling Observer Radio appearance Norman Smiley said Jordan picked up Wrestling the fastest of anyone he has ever taught. The kid seems to be a natural. The key now for him is a continual commitment to improve and fulfil initial potential. 

I need to listen to Naylors interview. How can I get it? Do I have to subscribe?

Jordan comes from an athletic background, so he is probably so used to training and practice and of course the dude has probably got some insane natural talent.

Plus, water stays in his hair...

Enzo's injury is a tragedy.  He'll make a great manager in the meantime, at any rate.  I would buy one of those SAWFT T-shirts.

I literally did not recognize any of the lumberjacks that wasn't Tyler Breeze.

What SAWFT t-shirt?

Enzo and Cass were wearing them in the backstage bit with Aiden.  Just had the hand with the finger pointing outward and the word "SAWFT".

Enzo's injury is a tragedy.  He'll make a great manager in the meantime, at any rate.  I would buy one of those SAWFT T-shirts.

I literally did not recognize any of the lumberjacks that wasn't Tyler Breeze.

What SAWFT t-shirt?

CORQEVv.jpg

I find the NXT divas to be massively overrated. Ring wise they aren't any better than the current roster who do fine (honestly better) when they are actually given more than two minutes.  What the NXT divas have going for them is pretty much character focus given to them by NXT. The problem is they more than likely won't have that on the main roster unless they luck out like Summer Rae getting a position next to character like Fandango.

I think the women on the main roster are definitely underestimated. AJ gets most of the praise but Nattie, Naomi, Alicia, and Kaitlyn have also had some really good matches over the last year or two. Even The Bellas and Tamina are showing improvement. But most of the NXT women (Paige, Bayley, Emma, and even Sasha to a lesser extent) came in with the experience advantage already so it's not even a fair comparison. 

The weirdest thing about the lumberjack match was all the guys who haven't really been on TV yet. 

Also, I really didn't like that Ascension match much. A lot of the dosey-do stuff at the beginning seemed like it was the wrong sort of choreographed stuff for an Ascension match. Richards' bumps were over the top and that he really didn't sell the really scary belly to back flub was sort of ridiculous (that the hot tag wasn't hot at all didn't help). That said, some of the stuff the Pitbulls ate looked good; that might have been the best I've seen the Fall of Man look. 

The weirdest thing about the lumberjack match was all the guys who haven't really been on TV yet. 

That seems to be a trend with NXT.  I went back and watched some old NXT from the beginning of this year (because I have free Hulu Plus & to hopefully encourage RIPPA to finish more retro-workrate reports) and most of the guys who would be part of the Shield/Big E brawls were dudes I've never seen before.  They either have an agreement with some obscure Florida indies when they need extra bodies and have a ton of random dudes training who aren't on TV.