DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble

Brian Fowler

Bray Wyatt/Daniel Bryan was a great match, the best of the show. Here’s a question, how many times was the opening match on a show the Match of the Night? The best one of all is Owen Hart vs. Bret Hart at WrestleMania X. The other one is Ultimo Dragon vs. Dean Malenko at Starrcade 1996.

God - Randy Orton really missed his chance.

I mean if I was him (besides not having the hideous tat sleeves) - I would have been out there with Kane yanking fools out left and right until El Torito was the winner

It's funny you mention that. I was at a watch party with a half dozen friends - Rumble and Mania are the only shows my casual wrasslin' fan friends will watch - and one guy's gf, who watches just to be supportive, asked that very same question after Kane yanked out Punk. Except she said, "Why wouldn't the champ just help throw out everybody but, like, Miz?"

I suppose it falls under the "no managers at ringside" rule. You can run in and toss one guy out but if you tried to stay out there for an extended period of time, somebody would come kick you out.

That would be an interesting way to book a Rumble, tho.

I'm totally fine with the idea that WWE is trolling its fans, but when that trolling has collateral damage (booing Mysterio, for instance; chanting "No!" instead of "Brogue!"; etc.) you have to wonder if drawing out Bryan's push is really worth it.

I really enjoyed the show last night. The opening match was wonderful (though I'm not sure it was a MOTYC). The Brock / Show stuff was booked brilliantly (though a little more variation in the post-match attack would have been nice). The Royal Rumble was really fun (even after the crowd realized Daniel Bryan was not going to be a part of it). At this point a Batista heel turn would be so beautiful. As long as he keeps wearing those jeans . . .

I'm happy to "wait and see" what WWE does tonight and how they book Elimination Chamber. If Bryan ends up in a meaningless one-on-one with Sheamus at Mania, then I might throw a fit.

When really rankles me is John Cena's performance last night. He was wrestling a guy who attacked his dad a few weeks earlier. The same guy he chased through the arena last week. The same guy who had to make a "getaway" in order to avoid getting AA'ed throughout the building. So what's Cena's plan? Trade headlocks early and show that he can "wrestle." Smirk at the crowd when he goes for his Five Knuckle Shuffle. In other words, have a normal high profile Monday Night RAW main event. I understand that they would want to phone it in in front of this crowd. I understand that there's only so much these two can do with each other after having nearly every other gimmick match possible (including an Iron Man match in 2009!). But seriously, that may have been Cena's worst performance in the past few years. Not because he did his moves badly, just because his demeanor and character work did not match the storyline they had developed. If you give fans a reason to care, they will care . . . 

Unless, of course, WWE wants the crowds to dump all over their title matches. Then: well done, Cena. 

I'm totally fine with the idea that WWE is trolling its fans, but when that trolling has collateral damage (booing Mysterio, for instance; chanting "No!" instead of "Brogue!"; etc.) you have to wonder if drawing out Bryan's push is really worth it.

They've been doing it for years with Cena when they hated the very idea of the PG era. I think at this point you know that they're very comfortable with riding out this kind of negative tide to success just to prove a point.

When WWE eventually pulls the trigger on Bryan's title run, the first guy I'd groom for contention would be Caesaro.  Rollins, Reigns, and Ambrose should be in the mix, too. 

That's if they decide to keep Bryan as a face.  It'd be just like Vince to fuck with you guys further and turn him when he wins the belt.  Then you stew in your own juices with two months of Cena / Bryan or Cena / Punk before Daniel drops the belt in like under six minutes on RAW.

Thats a very good point.

Also, I know there have been reports in the past that the WWE does NOT want their guys playing to the crowd. But shouldn't Orton have REAAAAALY heel'd it up instead of just doing is Diva pose? The guy doesn't know how to USE that kinda heat.

Cena doesn't care. He knows he's gonna get boo'd by "those fans."

They've been doing it for years with Cena when they hated the very idea of the PG era. I think at this point you know that they're very comfortable with riding out this kind of negative tide to success just to prove a point.

Good point, and I'm actually not against trolling. It makes for some interesting television.

But I'm not sure their (fruitful) stubbornness with Cena had the same kind of collateral effects from 2005-2014 as their recent booking decisions with Bryan. Did fans actually have someone they would have rather seen in Cena's place in 2005? 2006? Were fans chanting Edge's name, for instance, in an effort to sabotage the Taker/Michaels Royal Rumble final in 2007? The Cena trolling and Bryan trolling seems like apples and oranges to me.

The Rock 2012-2013 vs. Batista 2014 in a cardio match wouldn't be pretty.

I was in Detroit when Big Dave dropped the belt to UT at Wrestlemania.  Batista blew up in under five minutes and the "Here, lie here and catch your breath" bodyslam was telegraphed to the entire stadium.

• Like 1

I wish I could like Valcourt, JT and IHFP's last posts but I'm outta likes right now. You'll still get 'em.

There's something about the Royal Rumble lost over the Daniel Bryan talk and it's THAT Spear by Roman Reigns on Dolph Ziggler. Poor Dolph. Also, I'd have liked Kane to have still kept the record for most eliminations in one Royal Rumble match.

• Like 3

God - Randy Orton really missed his chance.

I mean if I was him (besides not having the hideous tat sleeves) - I would have been out there with Kane yanking fools out left and right until El Torito was the winner

It's funny you mention that. I was at a watch party with a half dozen friends - Rumble and Mania are the only shows my casual wrasslin' fan friends will watch - and one guy's gf, who watches just to be supportive, asked that very same question after Kane yanked out Punk. Except she said, "Why wouldn't the champ just help throw out everybody but, like, Miz?"

I suppose it falls under the "no managers at ringside" rule. You can run in and toss one guy out but if you tried to stay out there for an extended period of time, somebody would come kick you out.

That would be an interesting way to book a Rumble, tho.

Shannon Moore in 2003....

I guess the best kayfabe answer is the champ being in a ring with all those guys who want a piece of him would risk serious injury?

Batista screwed up Roman's Superman Punch spot twice - first, by not being able to stand up on his own and having to slooooowly drag himself to the ropes, and then by blowing the spear spot to counter it because he could barely leave his feet. I really don't get being THAT out of ring shape. Maybe his cardio was in his eyebrows?

My memory ain't what it used to be but I don't really remember Mark Henry ever getting all blown up. Big Show either for that matter. Granted they work a different type and pace of match but I think cardio wise they're actually decent.

There is no excuse for Batista. That cardio performance last night was Scott Steiner-HHH levels of pathetic.

• Like 1

Ironically, the last time i might * have been disgusted with the end of a royal rumble ppv was when mick took allt hose chairshots from the rock. Mick might not remember that one.

* that match prob didnt end the ppv, but dramatic license.