DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Sports TV Thread of Hate

LooseCannon

I generally roll my eyes at people who say this, but.....Why is this newsworthy? Are we surprised that a tow attendant got screamed at? Are we surprised that the tow company is apparently run by shady people and has bad business practices? Are we surprised that the beautiful blonde TV personality came across as conceited and tone deaf? 

This isn't news, it's internet rubbernecking. 

As an aside, I love the people defending McHenry by pointing to the tow companies yelp reviews to prove they are shady. Really? Are there tow companies out there with stellar yelp reviews? Did Gregg review any tow companies as Karl G.?

"I would recommend Manayunk towing to anyone. Their tow truck driver was polite as could be as he towed away my Saturn claiming it was parked illegally even though the fire hydrant was roughly 1,500 feet from my car."

• Like 1

I talk like this to people in pretty crummy jobs all the time. In comedy sketches where I clearly play a villain.

That said, the video is edited really horribly. I have no idea who the woman is everyone is up in arms about as I don't have cable anymore, so I'm spared ESPN unless there's a basketball or baseball game on. Things that she said shouldn't come out of her mouth. But the editing tips it off that she was baited into a lot of this. She should have known better after the camera but we only get to see one side of the equation.

But it has been years since i worked at a job where "being treated like trash" was part of the job description. I worked at a Chuck E. Cheese one summer and literally had to kneel in apology to a child in order to keep my job. (I intentionally tripped her and her parents saw. But she did spit in my face and call me a shi*head.)

Kneeling in apology after some snot nosed kid spits in your face? Fuck that. No job is worth taking that kind of abuse. I loved snapping at people that gave me attitude when I worked in retail in my younger days.

But it has been years since i worked at a job where "being treated like trash" was part of the job description. I worked at a Chuck E. Cheese one summer and literally had to kneel in apology to a child in order to keep my job. (I intentionally tripped her and her parents saw. But she did spit in my face and call me a shi*head.)

God, I hope you were wearing the Chuck E. Cheese costume when you did it.

I have never spoken to anyone like that in my life even on the internet.  That was awful. Also, is it the person behind the counter's fault that her shit got towed?  It's like buying something at Home Depot and it shits the bed and then going back in to scream at the cashier. 

I worked at a campus book store my first year of college and people would come in to complain to me about the price of books.  My answer was always the same. "Do I look like the guy who sets the price?"

Try working at a gas station.  Did that the summer after highschool, and holy fuck did everyone yell at me about the gas prices.  Like, do you think I got here this morning, thought "oh, fuck those prices are way too low, I better jack them up before I start my shift?"

• Like 1

I have never spoken to anyone like that in my life even on the internet. That was awful. Also, is it the person behind the counter's fault that her shit got towed? It's like buying something at Home Depot and it shits the bed and then going back in to scream at the cashier.

I worked at a campus book store my first year of college and people would come in to complain to me about the price of books. My answer was always the same. "Do I look like the guy who sets the price?"

Try working at a gas station. Did that the summer after highschool, and holy fuck did everyone yell at me about the gas prices. Like, do you think I got here this morning, thought "oh, fuck those prices are way too low, I better jack them up before I start my shift?"

Yep just like me having any control over stock levels

I know that area fairly well(the Ballston area of Arlington), and that tow company is fucked up if they towed her car from a parking lot from a business that was closed. They were actively going around trying to fuck people over, because I guarantee that no one called to complain about that. Based on where she was and the restaurant being closed, I bet they charged her for 2 days of storage and a ridiculous weekend rate despite only having her car for an hour or two. They have a reputation for sweeping for cars around 11 so they can charge you for an extra day of storage if you get your car after 12. She probably had to pay $350 minimum to get her car for parking in a place that wasn't using the space. There is this pizza place I like on the other side of town that is next to a bank and I used to park there sometimes to pick up my pizza. Then one day I saw those assholes towing people, from a bank, at around 730, on a Saturday. I get it, those people are parked at a business that is closed, but they treat people like shit and flat out gouge you on prices. No one would ever deal with this company if they had a choice, you are forced to put up with there unfair, heavy handed, bullshit. I don't think she should have yelled at that woman like that, but I sure as hell understand why she did. They put you in a position where they know they're fucking you over, you know they're fucking you over, and you can't take your business elsewhere. They ruin people's days for a living, and I don't feel bad for those dicks.

Wait, wait, wait, is there like a law against parking at a closed business?

Wrong question.  The question is is it legal for some asshole to take you car from a closed business and make you pay hundreds of dollars to get it back?

There was a story on one of the local (DC) evening news shows about the same towing company towing a guy's car for having expired tags...even though he was parked at the DMV and trying to renew said tags.

The same company was also in the news a couple of weeks ago for almost towing a car with two kids in it while the dad was in CVS getting cold medicine for one of the kids.

It'll be interesting to see if the company releases the unedited video like some of the news stations have asked them for.

I talk like this to people in pretty crummy jobs all the time. In comedy sketches where I clearly play a villain.

That said, the video is edited really horribly. I have no idea who the woman is everyone is up in arms about as I don't have cable anymore, so I'm spared ESPN unless there's a basketball or baseball game on. Things that she said shouldn't come out of her mouth. But the editing tips it off that she was baited into a lot of this. She should have known better after the camera but we only get to see one side of the equation.

Boy, a lot of stuff suddenly became a lot clearer...

• Like 2

Wait, wait, wait, is there like a law against parking at a closed business?

Doesn't have to be a law - just the business making a deal with the tow company.

So Erin Andrews boyfriend is arrested for cocaine and other drugs in Vegas and ESPN is burying the story for some reason. I saw it on Yahoo! nothing on ESPN. Finally ESPN puts it up but only on the NHL page and way down. Still nothing on the front page.  If this was a 3rd string running back it'd be plastered on their front page headlines all day. I guess they don't want people to remember she worked there. I don't know.

Erin Andrews has worked for Fox for the last three years. I'm sure ESPN is totally trying to protect her, or whatever your argument is.

It's also Jarrett Stoll, a hockey player. And the NHL and NBA playoffs are both rolling along right now. And Stoll wasn't charged with anything was has already been released.

Really don't know what else you want from them here. This isn't some sort of massive story.

Really don't know what else you want from them here. This isn't some sort of massive story.

It's not a massive story, no. But it was underreported while Allen Iverson's Dad and wide receivers nobody has ever heard of are front page news. Sam Hurd was the 5th WR on the team.

Also, I'm picking on ESPN because other sites I visit had it on their front page. ESPN reports the most worthless crap but today they chose not to. I thought maybe they believe people still associate Erin with them.

They were super late on the Roethlisberger story but Iverson's Dad they are all over it. Weird.

ESPN buries everything hockey. Should not be a surprise at all.

Andrews still works on Dancing With the Stars, which is on ESPN's partner network ABC. That gives at least a bit of credence to them burying the story.

Allen Iverson was a huge and polarizing star in the NBA. Hurd plays in the most popular sports league in the country. Mr. Erin Andrews plays hockey.

ESPN doesn't make money off hockey.